SRS Just for Today ~ May 2nd ~ Just Maybe...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Demon Of Dreams, May 2, 2005.

1. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

"There is one thing more than anything else that will defeat us in our recovery; this is an attitude of indifference or intolerance toward spiritual principles"
    Basic Text, p. 18

When we first came to NA, many of us had great difficulty accepting the spiritual principles underlying this program - and for good reason. No matter how we'd tried to control our addiction, we'd found ourselves powerless. We grew angry and frustrated with anyone who suggested there was hope for us, because we knew better. Spiritual ideas may have had some bearing on other peoples' lives, but not ours.

Despite our indifference or intolverance toward spiritual principles, we were drawn to Narcotics Anonymous. There, we met other addicts. They'd been where we'd been, powerless and hopeless, yet they'd found a way not only to stop using, but to live and enjoy life clean. They spoke of the spiritual principles that had pointed the way for them to this new life of recovery. For them, these principles were not just theories, but part of their practical experience. Yes, we had good reason to be skeptical, but these spiritual principles spoken of by other NA members really seemed to work.

Once we admitted this, we didn't necessarily accept every single spiritual idea we heard. But we did start to think that, if these principles had worked for others, just maybe they'd work for us too. For a beginning, that willingness was enough.

Just for today: Just maybe the spiritual principles I hear spoken of in NA might work for me. I am willing, at least, to open my mind to the possibility.

2. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

For the first time in a VERY long while, I picked up my Just for Today book.
    That is today.

I have to admit, my recovery hasn't really been too much of a spiritual thing.
    I've replaced my bad habits with other habits, some good some bad.
    My life, since moving from the northwest, has improved VASTLY, however, there are some things that haven't improved.

I'm not one for religion, religious beliefs or otherwise... so I took it upon myself to kind of make my own higher power, i won't call it a god, or god, but I'll consider it my higher power.

I made a list of what I think my higher power should include, and not include.
    Since my morals and mind are quite a bit different than others, I have some fairly odd things on the list for both categories. But it gives me something to look to if I'm having a problem... if I can't figure it out in my head, I try to figure it out the way a higher power might...

Right now, as of last week, I am living on my own, don't have any furniture, miss my girlfriend quite a bit, and regret doing what I've done. However, when I asked myself what I was doing and why, I came to the conclusion that I need to grow up, I need to better myself, and I also need to focus more on my recovery again. I've not been to a meeting since I moved to texas, over a year and a half ago. My higher power was nonexistant in my mind, but so were the urges of going back to my addictions.

Granted, I still spent a lot of time on the computer, and in ways its less harmful to myself to do so... I work 40-60 hours a week, I can hold my own financially ... have a new car, insurance, bills all over the place... even started going to the gym and losing weight again...

but when I was there, I started to feel that my recovery was slipping... my urges came back, i wanted to drink a bit more often, off and on... I didn't, because I forced myself not to.

I haven't heard any spiritual principles in this entire time I've been here.
    so that aspect in my recovery needs a lot of fixing, a lot of work.

I'm rambling, so i might start typing out my story... so we'll see.
    might take awhile.