A&P just for Jonny Chimpo and the "strobist crew"

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by IntheWorks, Aug 14, 2007.

1. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. That's the trap. Don't be a hammer.

4. Jonny Chimpo

fixed :mamoru:

5. IntheWorks

:rofl:

6. E-dub

E-dub New Member

That article reminds me of an opportunity I had to photograph Janet Reno many years ago even after the press time-window was closed. People with bags/gaudy gear were done for and I was there with nothing but a Canon A2 and a camo-like dull-green manual focus Tamron 300mm 2.8, no flash and I flew under the radar. These shots, although boring of a tyrannical looking she-male, ensured a promotion later that fall as I was able to catch her speaking instead of doing stupid head nods to an applauding crowd.

Of course, I've shown up to some shoots thinking, "damn, should have brought one of those." But then in these situations you learn to make due and these provide some of the best lessons of all. Photography is a lot of KISS...over producing can carry over to the image and then things will become too complex, turning the viewer off.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl:

8. Jonny Chimpo

Over producing? Kinda like merging images of a motorcycle doing a burnout with no rider?

:rofl:

9. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Glad to see I am making your week.

There is a way to deliver a photo and there is a way to over produce a photo. Same goes for film. Lexus has an amazing way of taking very complex ideas for their commercials and smoothing them into effortless pieces. Todd Johnson does this amazingly well with his photos. For example:

[​IMG]

There is a lot going on in this photo and I am sure the storyboard/synapsis made some people scratch their heads and say "Yeah Right" (which is also what internet photographers are good at). However, he put together a team who believed in him/the final product and they put together a piece that is truly a work of art.

Open up your imagination; I challenge you to wake up and have more fun with photography than reveling in the beauty of your avatar. :)

10. Jonny Chimpo

There isn't much going on in that photo other than an assload of photoshop and a low mount rig with a ricer angle. :ugh:

11. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

Why is everyone here freaking out about people using flashes? Seriously, what is the problem with experimenting a little?

12. Hippy

Hippy New Member

13. IntheWorks

it's not the people using flashes... it's the overwhelming amount of douche nozzles who don't know what they're doing in the 1st place going out and buying tons of speedlights thinking they will become the next big thing.

unlike others... I don't have an issue with people using the word "strobist" to describe using off camera speedlights since that's where they picked up the techniques though....

14. IntheWorks

:rolleyes:

15. Jonny Chimpo

There's nothing wrong with experimenting at all. There's a LOT wrong with experimenting when you can't do anything but take a snapshot, and even more wrong with using post production tools to try and make a shitty photo some piece of dramatic art. (see gas pump thread for example)

That and I think a few people, myself included, are finally just sick to death of all the internet photo bandwagons. There was a recent spate of threads where everyone was going out and buying lightstands so they could try out "strobist" stuff, like no one has EVER heard of using off-camera lighting before. That's what finally set me off.

16. Hippy

Hippy New Member

I WOULD JUST PREFER THEY CALL IT LIGHTING. SAYING STROBIST MAKES THEM SOUND LIKE A TUNA SANDWHICH ON RYE

17. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Sounds like you have photography figured out perfectly!

So then how did they get the lean of the car? Cars are never driven when a rig is attached like that, they are pushed, especially with a car like this which most likely has solid motor mounts so having it running would cause far too much vibration. Or maybe it was running with a rig? Impossible, unless those cones were put in with a different exposure...at the speed the car is traveling, a rig that long would have taken them out by now. So how was the car loaded? Spring compressors installed on the front right coilover? How did they get the other side to lift? Reversing a spring compressor? A dolly-lift?

I suggest you read about Todd Johnson before pointing all of his work to Photoshop/post processing. He was an assistant to one of the most prominent old-school photo montage guys, Clint Clemens. Come to think of it, one of Todd's most famous photos is of a man on a Harley speeding through the night on an open highway in the midst of a midwestern field. I will try to find the finished product, but the actual photo was produced solely inside a studio, right down to the illusion of speed being produced as a moving mural behind the bike (which was elevated on a stand; invisible to the camera) and fishing line pulling the bike's wheels, very little photoshop involved. Yes, some of his work involves newer techniques such as 3D CAD deployed cars in 180 degree HDR environments, but he, like many others who have been in the advertising business for ages, can do it the old school way too.

18. Jonny Chimpo

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: *breathe* :rofl::rofl::ugh:

[​IMG]

19. IntheWorks

we all know how the internet works. in 6 months to a year some new guy will come along that will catch on and the masses will start calling it "flashingist" or something..... You have to give it to david... the man has marketed this well, good enough he was able to quit his day job with the baltimore sun to do the "strobist" stuff full time.

20. Hippy

Hippy New Member

DIDNT MARKET WELL ENOUGH TO GET ME TO STAY INTERESTED ONLY ARTICALS I READ WER THE ONES POSTED HERE, THEN AGAIN MY READING LEVEL IS THAT OF A BABY CHIMPANZE AND I LACK ALL COMPREHENSION SKILLS TOO, SO READING TO ME IS VERY FRUITLESS

21. IntheWorks

well, he's working on a DVD, so maybe you can watch that :mamoru:

22. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

i found it amusing that strobist itself as a blog presents no original ideas -- they've all been done before and shown before on the internet

some of you already know which websites i'm talking about

ibstrobistlosesitsaudiencewithin18months

23. Jonny Chimpo

sukistyle.com?

24. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

too good.

25. IntheWorks

:dunno:

http://www.dg28.com