COMIC Just finished the Avatar (Airbender Avatar, not James Cameron Avatar) series

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Falconer, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I know it's not technically an anime but it was awesome. It's the last series I've watched in its entirety in a long time :bowdown:

Looking forward to the movie.

2. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

I keep hearing it's good I just never cared enough to try. It seems too "kiddy".

3. striderex

striderex New Member

its too "american"

4. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

I felt the same way for a long time until someone who's opinion I really respect told me it was his favorite TV show ever. This is a grown man with kids mind you. So I figured I would give it a shot and ended up watching the entire thing over the course of a week and then watched it all over again right after. It is really well made.

It does have some american kiddy cartoon moments here and there, but overall it is the closest I have ever seen american animation get to capturing a bit of what makes anime so good. I would say give it a shot and watch the first few episodes and see what you think.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

In what sense?

There was a lot of anime influence in it.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

It is a child's cartoon but it is an epic one, the likes of which I haven't seen since ReBoot in the 90s.

Usually I hate when American art and animation try to be Japanese instead of American (I also love American animation), but in this case I think it's an excellent homage more than anything else.

7. Combine

Combine OT Supporter

I love that show, the final episode is so damn epic

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I agree 100% with both of these statements.

American animation trying to be anime = massive fail. There are a lot of new cartoons that do this, and I HATE it when they "redo" an old American cartoon and try to make it all Anime-like... man that is such fail.

American animation being a good American animation = cool

I thought Avatar was anime until my gf told me it was American. I was like :eek3: Of course, that was before I started actually watching it and I would just see it in passing. But then I watched the entire series. It's definitely American, but never at any point did I think "oh lol they're copying anime." Just watch it, you'll see.

9. Raju

Raju Active Member

I watched through this series for the first time like a month ago, so damn good :bowdown: but I thought it ended in a stupid way

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I liked the ending. I was actually sad when it was over, not because of the ending, but because there weren't anymore episodes to watch. Although I do wish uncle Iroh had been in the final episodes more. He was awesome. But since Mako (the guy who did his voice) died, I guess maybe they didn't want to write too much more stuff for him or something. But I wanted to see him blow some stuff up with lightning since apparently he could use it.

Sokka cracks me up. "Appa ate Momo!" :bowrofl:

11. digimon001

digimon001 New Member

wow, love this show and i didn't know Mako was the voice of uncle. it was one of those where u recognize it but can't name. I think one of the thing i like about this series is that it actually had an ending. I think the whole series was well planned and they had the story they wanted to tell in mind and knew how long they want it to be.
    And yes, Sokka was a good funny character, some how i always laugh at his lame joke. I like his whole thing he has with his boomerang, how it's always come back.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Did it come back at the VERY end? I can't remember. But I remember him saying like "bye space sword!" I :rofl:ed so hard at that.

13. Tikiman

Yeah that was funny.

It cracks me up reading early reviews of the Last Airbender movie and the complaints that people have about Sokka being played too over the top. I am guessing that those people have never seen the series.

14. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

I got the first season and watched 9 episodes today. It's mildly enjoyable but I just don't see the hype yet.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Whoa, people have seen it already? Is it just like film critics and stuff?

16. Tikiman

Nah, like test screenings and such. A rough cut with unfinished effects and temp. soundtrack and the like.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  17. digimon001

digimon001 New Member

nah, at the end it didn't come back, Sokka said "I don't think boomerang is coming back" thats why he threw the sword.

I can't imagine the live action movie going to be that good, i'll go see it but not expecting much. from the superbowl trailer, effect looks good but can't sit right with the way some of the characters look. people who never saw the tv series might not get it.

18. Tikiman

They are either going to make it geard for the people who know the show and it might be ok. (If anything, at least the bending effects look awesome from the trailer) Or they will make it geared for people who know nothing about the series and try and give it an ending and it will fail hard like The Golden Compass did.

I really hope it does well enough to make the 2nd and 3rd movie if only to see what they do with Toph in the live action. I wonder if King Bumi will be in the first movie or will they save him for the 2nd. Even though he shows up early in the first season, I bet he isnt in the movie.

19. Loryk

Loryk Elite Member OT Supporter

tried to watch it but its too cartoonish for me

samurai jack is where its at

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Avatar was too cartoonish but Samurai Jack wasn't?

...unless I'm thinking of the wrong show.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:werd:

I hope they don't ruin the movie and make it totally unrelated to the cartoon ::coughGIJoecough::

I'm curious to see Toph, too.

22. clover

clover Lucky in life

I watched the 1st season when it finished a few years back. I just recently watched the last 2 seasons. I really enjoyed the series. It's well made, has a interesting plot, good character development etc.

I think the animation is very good compared to other american cartoons. It definitely has higher production values. It doesn't have the anime look but I thought the same thing of One Piece.

23. Combine

Combine OT Supporter

the plot thickens, the season finale's are amazing, some of the best I've seen period. so epic.

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

What is One Piece?

25. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

where are you guys watching it ?