MIL Just Enlisted in the Marines...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RoAcH CoAcH, Jan 23, 2009.

1. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

what should I expect, of course would be the first question.

I'm joining to strengthen a weak and fearful mind.... This is agoraphobia, heights, flying, anxiety/panick/depression. Everything that has held me back from obtaining many leadership postitions.

What to look for in a career i.e. career with the military or use my skills in out of military positions.

Also feel free to post some pics and tell me some stories...

I al ready passed the short ASBRAC(sp?) test and aced it, going to take the full test tomorrow...

2. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

btw I have 18 college credits. How is this up in rank going to affect me?

3. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

4. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Former Marine Recruiter checking in...

The test is the ASVAB, the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, and if you haven't taken the full version, you haven't yet enlisted. Once you have taken it, and passed a physical, then you will be able to enlist. If you haven't taken the full version of the ASVAB and a recruiter has told you that you're enlisted, you need to send me a PM with the recruiter's name, office number, and office location.

18 college credits isn't enough for a meritorious promotion; just be sure to get a copy of your transcripts because they will come in handy later.

Now I have a question for you -- you mentioned a previous history of anxiety, panic, and depression. What, if any, medications have you taken for them, and how recently was it? If you don't feel comfortable posting it here, a PM works just fine. I don't need to know your real name, and your info goes no further than me.

5. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

Thank you for your response. By enlisted I mean we're trying to get my ass out to boot camp by March, nothing is official. This has been an undermined goal of mine for 5 years.

Unfortunately, I don't post on OT in any main forums so my PM box is always full, so i'll clear it up here in a minute.

According to the officer, I need 12 credits for a promotion. I will definately inquire about that tomorrow and send u a message if I it becomes an issue.

I haven't taken meds since I was a minor so this was not an issue. When I told them about that, they raised much concern as well. I'm not suicidal or anything, just GAD, manic depression... Your general psychiatrist evaluation.

Basically the recruiter was moreso impressed with my test scores and reason for joining.

I am interest to hear your insight as a recruitor. Let me clean out my PM box

6. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I thought if he had 12 credit hours when enlisted he'll get PFC?

7. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

i'm very ignorant, but basically you start at i think what is called "E-1" or something? With 12 credits I get notched up and apparently will end up having some people under me.

Truth be told, i'm a big fucking pussy. In civilian world, people wouldn't fight me, i'm a big strong guy. So I don't see why this guy would say I would have ANYONE under me. It's not a huge promotion, just one degree above entry.

My apologies for sounding dumb

8. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

E-1 = no rank at all, "buck" private" E-2 = Private with one chevron. You wont have anyone under you, they wont have you leading a squad of Marines into combat as an E-2 so dont worry about that, lol.

9. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

To put it into perspective the only thing you need to do to get promoted from Private to PFC is be in the Marine Corps for 6 months. You'll make a few extra dollars.

That's the only difference. There is no increase in responsibility. It's rare to see Privates in the Fleet Marine Corps because generally by the time you finish Bootcamp/MOS School you'll be a PFC as long as you don't get in trouble.

10. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

The real answer though is don't worry about all of that. Just make sure your contract has a job on it that interests you and hit the gym.

Your drill instructors will teach you everything else you need to know.

11. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

About to go take my physical :sadwavey:

I am a man who lives in fear of everything attempting to join the maines.

Ya know, my number 1 fear is flying with heights and agoraphobia just under. I just heard I have to jump out of a motherfucking plane :ugh:

I'm either going to be conquering some fears or die of adrenaline overdose.

12. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I used to have a fear of needles before I joined the Marines.... :rofl: I puked all over the navy medical center when they made us line up and get stuck. That was gross haha.

13. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

that is 6 months faster to lcpl, 6 months faster to Corporal etc etc

it is important

14. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

:rofl:

There are very few MOSs in the Marine Corps that jump out of planes. Unless you are specifically aiming for one of those you won't be jumping out of planes.

Stop worrying about the specifics. If you really want to join just finish the process, get to boot camp and try your hardest at every they put in front of you and you'll do fine.

That "I suck and I'm terrified of everything" is going to hinder you a lot if you can't put it behind you. The Marine Corps isn't going to do that for you that ones entirely on you.

15. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Not if he has good NCOs who know when to nonrec when needed.

I see your point though and it's a good one. I just don't think meritorious PFC is much of a career booster.

16. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

no offense but if you have any of those problems you mentioned in a serious nature...the military might make it 10x worse...

17. Accord

Accord New Member

Unless you're recon, MARSOC, counterintel, or an 0451 you'll never jump out of a plane... and nowadays most recon marines aren't even sent to jump school anymore. You'll be fast roping out of a bunch of helo's though... if you become a grunt and go on a MEU you have a 25% chance of your company being the battalion's helo company where all your insertions will be via a -you guessed it-... helo.

18. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Just keep cracking away at the college.

You'll get there.