Just cleaned my pads... *pics*

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CyberEye, Apr 22, 2006.

1. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Didn't come very clean. This is after soaking for a half hour, TWICE. Once with dishsoap, then again with liquid laundry soap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no idea where the tear in the orange cutting pad came from.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Most pads get stained, you just want to remove any product buildup in them. The tear probably came from those headlight nubs so many cars have. Damn things are pad killers!

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I never washed pads. It slowly degrades the glue that holds the backing on and they come off quicker.

I use a plastic pad spur and run that on the pad. Then use an air compressor to blow the rest of the dust off. It works GREAT and my pads last longer. This method works best when the compound/polish/wax is dried no the pad so it's easier to break up so you still need multiple pads while one dries so you can clean it again. It's still a lot quicker than having to wash pads and wait for them to dry.

4. Scottwax

I only wash mine when they begin to clog with old product. I have a lot of extra pads so waiting for the washed ones to dry isn't normally a problem.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I use to wash them as the only way to get them clean and the only reason I was buying new pads was because the backing would always start to tear off.

I then heard from Ketcham and Bud Abraham about just using a pad spur, stiff brush, and air compressor to clean pads. I haven't washed a pad since then.

6. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

On drying a pad...
    Put the pad on. Take a 5 gallon bucket. Put the DA and pad down inside the bucket and hold it on 6. The water will sling off in the bucket (not on you!) and will dry fast.

On washing...
    Gentle cycle on warm in the washer after presoaking in a Dawn/water mix. No probs with the backs coming off yet.

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I don't have any issues with my backs on my pads :dunno: ... and yes as Scott said, some polishes stain, just be worried about getting the old product out.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I usually put dish soap directly on my pars kneed it in with my thumbs, and get a good sudsing action going to lift and remove pad debris. I usually scrub the pad in a sink, with constant running warm water. And usually ahve to go through this process several times to get the pad fully clean.

Again, i may shoot a video with my parents DV cam.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I was washing my pads sometimes a couple times a day. Washing decreases pad life.

10. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Mine last a long time, I don't seem to have pad issues like some of you apparently :dunno: Just spurring them never gets out enough product to me, or for my taste. Even if my pads live were compromised, I would rather get all the product out and spend more money on pads than contaiminate them.

11. Scottwax

I wash mine when they get really dirty, usually after 3-5 uses. My pad for Clearkote's RMG and Werkstatt's Prime, I don't even bother cleaning since they stay looking nice. Neither product is meant for heavy duty cleaning so the pads never get bad.

12. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

what the crap is a pad spur?

13. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

cant you just soak them in warm water everytime after you used them?

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:dunno:

I use a spur or a paintbrush with the bristles cut down short to break everything up and then blow it out with an air compressor. It gets all the dust out and feels soft like new. I've never noticed any problems with them.

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter