GUN Just came home from the gun show v.bought a gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cheeseburger, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Well just came back from the show. Nothing too special there. Ammo prices were through the roofs, 340 or something like that for 1000rds of 9mm. It was 260 2 months ago. Lots of AR parts there except for no stocks or buffer kits. Lots of lowers and uppers.

Found somewhat what I have been looking for. My buddy has a Mossberg Model 195k 12g bolt action shotgun with 2rd mag. I found a 20g version few months ago but didn't get it cuz I wanted the 12g. Found another 20g today and they were asking 150. I offered 120 and he said deal. Not anything special for a gun, but damn fun to shoot when I shot my buddy's 12g. Even though its a 20g, it'll still be fun to shoot and not too expensive to shoot.

here's a super high res pic of my new gun. Don't mind Domo, he's just chillin'.

[​IMG]

2. I don't think I've ever seen a bolt action shotgun before. You should take it to Kenmore and shoot trap with it.

3. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

My buddy's uncle carry's around one of those on his fourwheeler whenever we go riding. It's beyond the definition of 'beat to fuck'. It's missin the Poly-Choke, and has be smacked into countless trees.

4. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Mossberg had a few models that were bolt action. They were built in the 60s and 70s I believe. Its nothing special but I had fun shooting my buddy's 12g version of it.

5. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

There's a gun show here in Columbia today. I was there when it opened, at 9AM, and waited in line a good 20 min as everyone paid the ONE FUCKING PERSON taking money and stamping hands, yet there were two securing incoming firearms (maybe 5% of the people coming in).

Overall, ammo prices were still not great. Lowest I saw for a case of Wolf 7.62x39 was 275 (some selling as much as $100 more than that :ugh:), lowest recognizable .223 I saw was $375-400+ per case. People out looking for .380 were getting bent over the fucking table. I was talking to one guy who paid $26.50 for what looked like 50 rounds of RELOADS of .380. Some asshole was trying to sell 5.45 surplus (the stuff you get in the 1080 cans) at something like 50 cents a round. I had a good laugh over that.

I was tempted by some new USGI mags with Magpul followers for $15 (one guy had 7 of them for 12.50 each), but I can wait.

The gun prices were definitely looking better, but some people were obviously trying to unload stockpiled stuff, and it wasn't really moving that well compared to more recent purchases for resale.

I'm sure cantankerously can chime in, since he's more in tune with the local dealers and stealers.

I'll take my 300 rounds of PMC .40 S&W for $96 and be happy with it. :hs:

6. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

They had some GSG5 special edition .22s there. They were bad ass looking. had the polished or whatever bodies on them. they were going a lil over 600 though.

7. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Yeah, ammo prices were unbelievable here. there wasn't a line when I got there today. there usually is right when it opens, but i got there an hour later and it was fine. its really nice this weekend so people might be out doing other stuff, who knows. I'm a member of the group that organizes the shows so you just show your members badge and walk in. plus you have to be a member of the club to buy a gun there. I'm sure private sellers will sell to nonmembers when the show is over or whatever, just gotta in contact or something. kind of annoying for people that aren't members but looking to buy a gun.

8. Emfuser

A members-only gun show has got to be the dumbest fucking thing I've heard all day. :rofl:

9. Emfuser

Also, I really wanted to beat the shit out of the Chinese guy selling cheap knock-offs of US-designed optics. Similar-looking copies of EOtechs, Aimpoints, Trijicons, Bushnells, etc.

Fuck Chinese business "ethics." :squint:

10. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

well, public can pay to get in. but you gotta be a member to buy guns. :greddy: I'm sure most of the people there that sell the guns there would sell to anyone, but for the organizers, they gotta follow their rules. Whatever. Membership is only 35 bucks a year and there's 2 shows a month most of the time. So it beats paying 7 bucks each time going in.

11. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

what about the beanie babies?! There's always that 1 or 2 tables selling pointless shit.

12. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Why on earth would you pay that much? You can get C-products for about $11 at a few different vendors. Or you can get PMAGs for less.

13. Emfuser

Not buying C-products. I've read more negative reviews about their shit than positive.

I keep a stash of the USGI mags around because they're metal, and they'll last forever. PMAGs, like any poly mag, will eventually suffer polymer degradation, and become trash. I have PMAGs, and I love them, but I'm not counting on them lasting forever. Thus, I keep USGI style mags along with my PMAGs.

Either way, I wasn't buying mags today. I bought ammo, a pair of boots, and a few ammo cans.

14. THT

About their standard 30rd aluminum mags? I've heard bad reviews of their 9mm mag blocks but haven't seen much, if anything, about their plain jane mags.

15. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Wow, the guy that was selling the Am Tact GSG-5 SD Titan had an ok price on it. Local gun shop selling them for 750 and the guy at the show had 2 for 650 I think.

16. THT

You think they'll degrade within your lifetime? I'm not asking to be flippant; I have no idea how quickly (or slowly) polymers degrade.

17. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i want that domokun!! where did you get it?

18. Emfuser

I'd have to know more about the compounds to say with any certainty, but I can't think of any structural polymers that maintain their structural integrity more than a few decades. All polymers eventually lose elasticity and become brittle/crumbly.

The only plastic stuff that I've seen on a regular basis, that is decades old and still doing its job, is acrylics, and those are brittle right off the bat (compared to most polymers). Those will last, but they're also not really meant for being a structural component.

19. THT

Would be curious to see how Glocks and other polymer-frame handguns hold up over time.

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Interesting shotgun.

21. Emfuser

That's another thought that has passed my mind from time to time. :hs:

22. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

got him at a local toys r us. toysrus.com might have them too.

23. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

lol @ polymer degradation

what are we talking about here, a couple million years?

if you think the feed lips on USGI mags will outlast the "useful life" of the plastics a pmag is made out of, then :hsugh: :rofl: :ugh:

24. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

I think the one online is a lil smaller than the one i have. the one online is like 12 inches. I think mine is about 18 inches.

25. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

when they drained the lake here 15-20 years ago, they let the public search it for stuff... my buddy's dad found a 20 gauge bolt, and it sat in his den forever in peices... i bet it is still there today.