MIL Just came back from recruiters (trying to go OCS)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Leon Philps, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Leon Philps

Leon Philps OG Lurker

Went to each of the recruiting stations and I was kind of disappointed with the Marines because they were not giving out waivers for tattoos. I have half sleeves of a Koi and Phoenix that are both above the elbow up to my shoulder, black no color. Marines is my primary choice so I just want to ask you guys is there any way around it? I asked my friend's brother who is a marine in new york and they pretty much said the same thing so am I shit out of luck?

I then went to the Army recruiter but they weren't very helpful. Had some thug pretty much talking about how he has no respect for officers out of college and pretty much kept pressuring my friend and I to just enlist. Didn't even get a chance to talk to a real officer recruiter where as I was able to talk to officer recruiters with the Navy and the Marines.

Lastly, went to the Navy recruiter and found them to be the most helpful and insightful. Apparently they give out waivers for tattoos and told me I have a decent shot at getting in. I really have my mind set on Marines but if that is not possible then I guess Navy is a good choice still too.

My stats just for the record
    5'7, 175ish lbs
    7ish min mile, 20+ pullups decent shape used to compete amateur boxing
    bs degree accounting 2.8 gpa
    clean record/medical history no surgery etc/no arrests etc.

My main question is there anyone out there with tattoos who successfully went through the process of getting into OCS in the navy/army/marines ? What kind of advice or actions do you suggest I do?

cliffs:
    -went to army not helpful
    -marines my # 1 choice cant get a waiver for tattoos anyone know what i can do to get around?
    -navy seemed to be the best in terms of meeting the qualifications and getting in.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

the Marines are really cutting down on the tatoos, there is no way around it for the time being. However, they have talked about relaxing the policy, so keep your ears open

3. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

I'm going Marines and yes there is no waiver if it shows when in a PT uniform. I just have 1 on my top shoulder and am getting a waiver.

Supposedly the Commandant of the Marines wants strictly clean cut Marines from now on, so the policy has really tightened up.

In the application for officers it strictly states this so you may be SOL for the time being.

4. snoodles

snoodles New Member

it all just depends really. i had guys in my platoon this last summer in quantico with ink all over, and i had a friend denied for one chinese symbol on the inside of his wrist that was no larger than an inch.

i do think that the new sleeve rule is what they're mainly sticklers about.

5. snoodles

snoodles New Member

as a side note, my friend got in the following summer by getting a waver...so it is possible.

6. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Marines? No tats? wtf?

7. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

I believe you can get the tatoo waiver in the Army. When I went through OCS, there were a few candidates with tatoos on their arms, back of neck, etc. As for the Army recruiter, their gonna give you the whole dog and pony show of why you should enlist, and why being an officer sucks. The process to get you into OCS is longer then a regular recruit. They are either talking out of their ass, too lazy to go the extra mile for you, simply clueless on the OCS process, or a combination. Dont let some shitbag recruiter stand between you and the commission you want to earn. Talk to his NCOIC, or ask for the number to his company commander. All else fails, drive to another Army recruiting station.

8. WildBull

WildBull Guest

war's almost over... you don't have to be a genius to figure that out why they're not taking tats anymore

9. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:werd:
    Dude who was a lawyer trying to get into the JAG Corps was at the MEPS station with me, he had all kinds of tats on his arms. Even had an Iron Cross, no swastika tho. As far as I know he passed everything at MEPS :dunno:

10. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

can you get visible/non-visible tattoo's after you are enlisted/commissioned?

11. kazimer

kazimer New Member

ditto to everything else stated.

The Army does not have a specific officer recruiter for OCS guys. Since the program technically requires you to enlist with your MOS being OCS, you are taken through the entire enlistment process and treated as an enlistee

Ask to speak to the station commander if you want to get a feel of what the officer does and/or just want to talk to someone who isnt a complete douchebag

I cannot speak for the other branches but did try to go Navy at first and had multiple horrible experiences with Navy recruiters, oh well their loss

12. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Army recruiters don't get any recognition for OCS enlistee's. So a ton of work but no credit towards their quota.

13. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

seems like a great way to motivate recruiters...

14. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Why? OCS Officers without enlistment time account for .01% (ok I made that percentage up...but you get the point) of all Army Officers - The big bill payer is Army ROTC, then Service Academies then Army OCS In-House (i.e. I'm a 4yr Inf Soldier that goes to OCS while on AD)

Recruits into the OCS program don't account for much.

15. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

Ahhh... well it makes sense now.

16. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

i am currently in navy OCS and there's a guy here that has his right arm fully tattooed and another guy with an eagle across his chest. btw, do you have a specific reason why you want to go marines?