just built new computer, having problems with onboard NIC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by borborygmus, Oct 16, 2005.

1. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

Board: ECS nForce3-A v:1.0a
    Processor: AMD Sempron 3100+

Everything else is working fine, but for some reason the network card keeps turning on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off forever and ever.

If you look at the network port itself, the power light stays on for about three seconds, then turns off for about three seconds, then on for thee then off for three, etc. It even does this when the computer is off, but with the power supply still plugged in. Something in there is causing it to turn on and off.

so far I have updated all of the windows drivers from the ECS website, updated the bios to the newest version (released about three weeks ago) and flushed the cmos settings.

do any of you guys have any idea what the problem might be?

2. feetball

feetball New Member

Is the negoation of the speed/duplex set to Auto/Auto? Try setting it to 100/Full or 100/half to see if that works.

3. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I installed drivers from another source and that sort of half ass fixed the problem. Now it works (I am posting this from the box right now) but it still has a bit of a problem getting network connectivity when you first turn on the machine...

It's kinda funky... :hs:

4. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

5. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Totally with him on that.

On Newegg, the Chaintech VNF3-250 is only $10 more. Why didn't you spring for that?

My buddy uses it in a server, it's stable as a bitch and responsive as fuck. Likewise, I use a CT 7NIL1 in my main machine.

They produce quality boards in that price segment, unlike PCShits, ECS (Economical Computer Shit), or Fauxcon.

I mean, hell, they rival the more expensive MSI/Asus boards in every aspect besides overclocking.

On a side note, my 486 box has an ECS board, but it works. keep in mind back in those days you slapped on a UMC chipset and you were done - VLB/ISA cards did the rest.

And trust me - I've been through my share of shitty boards from Soyo and the like. The motherboard is the first part you select when building a system, and go from there.

6. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

kinda funny, because nobody said anything about this when I posted my components I was gonna buy at the beginning of the week in here :hsugh:

oh well, I got it working now. If it fucks up later, I will just swap it out. I didn't build some hardcore gaming/haxoring rig, I just built a shitty replacemnt for the shitty gateway I have had for the past 6 years :mamoru:

7. feetball

feetball New Member

I know of several people using ECS with no problems. Granted they are not gaming machines, but they work.