SRS Just broke up with my girlfriend v. college

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Silverwolf90, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

My girlfriend and I had been going out for about 1.5 years. We had decided about half way through that we should break up for college. So we had a final day together on friday. We went shopping and went out to a very nice dinner. It was really hard to leave her than night.

In any case, I feel wierd. Because we're very much still in love with eachother, yet we know it's not really realistic to stay together during college.

But I'm not really sure what I should do. I don't want to hold on to our relationship because I'm sure it'll end up dissapointing. However, I don't really want to give up because I'll feel like I'm giving up on something really special we had. Is there a happy medium between the two?

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If that was your decision then :dunno:

It would be a mistake at this point to keep up communication. If you guys decided you would not have a strong enough relationship through college then you need to take this time to be single and enjoy college on your own (the way you should be anyway).

You can still move on and reflect later that it was a great relationship man, but you can also remind yourself that you can have that kind of relationship and hopefully better in your future :)

3. TheGetUpkid

TheGetUpkid New Member

I'm really not sure what to tell you dude. I've seen both sides of high school relationships make it through college and others that didn't (I experienced the latter). My best friend and his GF (fiance now) are still together but they also went to the same college. It might be best if you two just let go of each other and live your own lives. :hs:

4. I know like 3 of my friends who went into college with their girlfriends in a long distance relationship...NONE OF THEM made it through the end of the year and they ended in a spiteful ending where both of them were angry at each other either for cheating/talking to others or just because they were upset. :dunno: I think it is like the worst idea ever. My roommate at school had a girlfriend in another state from high school and he had to talk to her on the phone for at least an hour every night and he hated it but was such a vagina he did nothing about it. They're still together but I don't know why -- they're really awkward together and I dont think he really loves her. He's not one of the three up above because he was not a friend...just someone annoying I had to live with.

5. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

Why would it be bad to keep up communication? I know I'm her best friend, and she's one of mine. I don't plan on cutting her out of my life.

We have a great relationship, we just decided to try and be mature and realistic because we're going to different schools.

I'm not thinkgin about getting back together with her, I'm not thinking about that at all. I'm not sure how exactly to phrase it, it's just that I don't want to give up on what we had, yet I don't want to hold on to it either.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

Because you still love her. You two aren't going to be "friends" when you still have feelings for one another. It's not to say you can't and wont be friends in the future, it's just if you keep talknig all the time it's going to be added stress.

You still wont be fully letting her go and enjoying college on your own, you'll almost use her as a crutch. You'll start to wonder if you made the wrong choice :mb: Trust me, we've all seen it a million times.

7. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

if it was meant to be....

you'll be much happier later that you made this decision.

8. SaMMy SiZZLe

SaMMy SiZZLe New Member

It's not impossible to pick up where things left off a few years from now.

9. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

Thats whats so difficult. I don't want to really keep this in mind the whole time I'm in college because it could very easily lead to disappointment and regret. But if I give up on this possibility, it also feel like I'm giving up on something so special.

I guess I've said this, 3 different ways now :mamoru:

10. iwishyouwerebeer

Try not to think about it. It will only hold you back from really experiencing being young and single in college (which is amazing). If in 4 years you guys still talk and magically have that spark and ease on into a relationship then great. But I can't imagine you regretting having the time of your life in college when you were on your own and really learning who you are before you ecome an adult.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Dude... a final day together? That's... odd. Sounds like it would be very emotionally difficult.

I think that's your answer.

If you wanted it you wouldn't be having those thoughts.

12. DaFreak963

DaFreak963 New Member

While I understand this doesn't just eat you up inside to think that she was enjoying herself as much as she did with you but with someone else. I know its not rational and its imature as hell to think about it that way but man does that really chap my ass.

13. Silverwolf90

Silverwolf90 New Member

:werd: thinking of her with anyone else makes me so angry

14. iwishyouwerebeer

Which is why trying to be "friends" right now would be a mistake. You wont get over her and move on until you seperate her from yourself and your thoughts.

15. Redsand426

Redsand426 Active Member

If you guys talk to each other then your just going to make yourself miserable. You'll always be worrying about who she's with, what she's doing, etc.

Since you guys decided to split up, it's best you completely ignore her. Start dating a bunch of other girls, hang out with friends, keep yourself busy and let time work it's magic. After awhile you won't care about her anymore.