A&P Just bought the Canon D10

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Gutshot, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

Well after reading the review of the Canon 300D that came out on dpreview.com I glad i went with the 10D. Now I cant wait till it gets here!
    I also need to get a lens now, all the choices. The 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS has been recommend as a good starter lens. :x:

2. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

dpreview says they'd highly recommend the 300D :dunno:

but enough about the 300D, how come you're not posting pics?

and let me just say I'm extremely jealous

3. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

there really is no "good" starter lens.... u buy lenses for whatever u need to acomplish the shot

my suggestion, especially if you have never owned an slr, or if u have and are still in the learning phase of shooting, get a canon ef 50mm f/1.8 lens - they run $69.95 in that link and its prob the best lens i ever bought, and ive been shooting slr's for 8 years now (i own a rebel x, eos a2 and a 10d)

after that, buy lenses u need... i used a 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 for longer then i should have... they suck. for an all around non prime lens, i now use a sigma 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 and luv it, but it is a bit big

4. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

dpreview also doesnt say that they recomend it over the 10d

there are still a LOT of downfaults to the 300d, main one is the highest iso is 800, 10d is 3200, fps is slower and its a plastic frame

5. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

the 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS is a REALLY good starter lens

reason: it's a VERY good "all around" lens , hence , a good lens for people starting out. decently wide, and decent zoom

if you ask anybody on the dpreview forums, they will say that it is a good starter lens because it's good all around

i have the 28-135mm IS and i love it. it's the only lens i have so far (money problems recently still)

6. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

make sure you get a filter for the lens as well! always protect your lens with a filter!!!

maybe a haze UV filter

7. redna

redna New Member

:( i wish i could afford that camera.... Ive been wanting one for a loooong time.

Good buy.

8. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

9. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

I will post pics once I get the camera some time next week. I think I will start with the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and maybe also get the 50mm 1.8, its only like $69

10. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

Hey dont get me wrong the 300D is a great camera. Read the review, I just wanted more of the flexablity of the 10D vs the 300D. Others may not want all the options of the 10D. I would recommend the 300D to anyone who wanted to get into entry DSLRs :)
    It just wasn't what I was looking for.

11. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

make sure you get the filters like i said :)

it's like having a small insurance policy for your lens. fuck up the filter glass instead of the lens's

12. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

oh, and your thread title is wrong :o

"Just bought the Canon D10"

it's 10D :o

13. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

little suggestion, go to home depot or something similar, pick up a small piece of thin acryllic plastic, cut it to fit the lcd screen and some double stick tape...

trust me, it's a PITA if the screen gets scratched

14. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

:ugh: that would look really ugly

15. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

i was actually gonna suggest getting those anti scratch screen covers they make for palm's... they are a LOT cheaper and use static cling to stay attached

the reason i said the 28-135 isnt a great all around lens, is...

its a 10d. it has a 1.6x multiplier on it, so while full frame sensor digi's or film camera's can benefit, the 28mm really looks like a 44.8mm... which is hardly wide

getting a 18-35 or something of that rang is what you need to do for a 10d if u need wide angle. trust me, i know, i have a 10d and a sigma 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 and a 50mm f/1.8 and a 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 and a 16mm f/2.8 fisheye

the fisheye, 16mm full frame, looses almost all its "fishyness" when i put it on the 10d

16. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

the 18-35 doesn't have good "zoom" , which doesn't make it an "all around lens"

the 28-135mm is a good "all around lens" and thousands of people on the dpreview forums will tell you the same thing

which is what makes it a good starter lens

*edit*
    example http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=5994004

"It's a great "starter lens" !

Even if you upgrade, and you will !!!!!, you'll probably keep this lens. It makes a nice, "compact" combination with your 10D, range 45-215 (considering the 1.6 factor), IS equipped,which ya'll like as well.

An easy-to-carry-around combination, in case ya don't want to drag around your "future" L-collection !! :)

I highly recommend it

Regards
    Velu "

17. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Congrats on your new purchase! You wont be disapointed... tell us how you like it.

18. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

typesdragoon.... im not trying to fight w/ u... my point was, not all users need the same lenses to start out with. i carry a sigma 28-200 w/ me as an all around lens cause i got a GREAT deal oin a new in box old stock item, so i couldnt pass it up. but if u read my original responce... i said "there really is no "good" starter lens.... u buy lenses for whatever u need to acomplish the shot" and i still stand by that. you quoted me and started to bring up the 28-135 and said its "decently wide" which is a falsity on the 10d. i understand that its your only lens... but because of that, u are somewhat limited to your first hand real world knowledge of other lenses in differant shooting cirumstances in the real world... u are going soley off what other people are saying on the internet, and using dpreview.com as your only source for info. check out photo.net, im sure others will tell u differantly

as someone who has actually shot in a professional enviroment and had work published in several national magazines, i feel pretty secure in saying that new users to slr camera's should own a 50mm f/1.8 lens as either the first lens, or a primary for several reasons.

its cheap
    its very fast
    it makes you work for your composition
    it lets u experiment more w/ DOF shots
    it lets you shoot in lower light w/out a flash then most any zoom
    its daym near a perfect portrait lens on a 10d

like i said... i also own a pretty versitile zoom, but starters and n00bs to photography can really benefit from a 50mm

im not trying to start a fight or bash you or your lens... just be a lil more open to other lenses out there, as bang for buck there are better options, and if CorporateStiff can't utilize a 28-135 then its pointless

my personall thoughts, for the same price u can get a sigma 28-200 f/3.5-5.6, and there is no barrel distortion to the lens and the optics are as sharp as canon's 28-135... so why not just get the extra zoom outta the lens for the same amount of $

19. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

i was only arguing the fact that it IS a good "starter lens" , which i've heard from thousands of people and have read the reasons why

it's a very good starter lens

20. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

i just want a full frame, which i cant get with the 10d :sad2:

cos, i shoot a lot of news stuff which requires me to use wide angle lenses

21. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

:confused:
    the 10D uses EOS lenses

you can get a wide angle lens

22. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

um... not really. remember, 1.6x multiplier...

im guessing if you work for the news you are prob in love w/ your 20mm prime, that turns to be a 32mm not so wide lens on a 10d

either that your you shoot a 19-35 or similar wide zoom, which again, won't give you the room u need work.

have you looked into a 1d though? they are down around 3500, thats 2grand less then when they came out and only use a 1.3x multiplier on the sensor. ive actually shot my friends 1d w/ a 16mm f/2.8 fisheye on it and it still gives the "fisheye look" to it, while my 10d doesnt.

the 1d is also faster fps wise and has 45 point auto focus which im sure would come in hella handy

23. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

actually, the acryllic looks real good... if i get a chance i'll take a pic of the one my friend made...

the problem he saw with the kind you get for the palms is that he said they were really thin... not that protective...

now that i think about it, i think he used some sort of rubber cement or glue in the corners to attach it cause i dont remember seeing any tape...

24. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

If you want full frame sensor, that will leaves the 1Ds. And I hope you got $8k for that badboy. Nice camera, just very $$$$$

The way I see it, the 10D is my introduction into DSLRs, I can invest in lenes over time, and then when a cheaper Canon full frame sensor camera comes in several years, I can always upgrade and still use all my lenes. Plus this gives me time to get better at the photography!!! :x:

25. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

the 1ds is msrp of $800 but they can redily be bought for $6500

your other option for a full frame sensor is a kodak 14n which users nikon lenses... but is riddled w/ problems