Just bought my first Mustang, 87 GT 5.0

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bausk, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I was wondering if there are some things anyone can tell me about it I should know, basic things. I'm coming from a sport compact backround (my other car is a turbocharged Ford Focus). What are the best basic bolt-ons to start off with? What should the first things be done to it to "clean it up" in the engine bay... It has about 80,000 miles.

My plan is to basically put on a few boltons and maybe some nitrous for fun. It isn't going to be an expensive project car, just a cheap fun ride. I bought it for $400 without a clutch. I'm having that installed today.

Also, can anyone tell me what engine is in it, as in, the engine code? Like I said... Sport Compacts. :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hoyteee

hoyteee Guest

www.stangnet.net
    www.mustanglife.com (I'm 95Black50 on both of those sites)

By engine code do you mean the code on the VIN? Otherwise it's known as a 5.0 HO (high output).

3. hoyteee

hoyteee Guest

Btw, not a bad purchase for $400 bucks. That complete engine alone would sell for over $1000.

4. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

well you have an HO which is good.. comes with bigger injectors and some other small changes from the regular 5.0 block

to clean it up.. hm.. has it ever been swimmin? looks like its been sitting in water..

as far as engine codes go.. its not a honda.. its a 302 v8 5.0
    thats all you need to know

you definately need a tune up though (plugs, wire, cap and rotor buttom, filters)

as far as bolt ons.. you can get a CAI, undrive pullies, short shifter, full exhaust system... other then that there really isnt any "bolt on"

1 other thing.. i noticed you have no filter at the moment so i wouldnt be driving it around or you will suck up shit all in your engine and screw it all up.. put a cover over the Throttle body coming off the intake so junk doesnt get inside.

if you want a Cold air induction kit (fenderwell) ill sell you mine that came off my 88'Gt for 50$ + shipping... everything you need.. all you gotta do is tighten all the clamps down and clean the filter

email me [email protected] if interested

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah, the stock airbox is sitting in the back seat when that pic was taken.

I'll take you up on that offer for the intake, I sent you an email.

And I understood everything else except for...

Rotor buttom? Excuse my ignorance. :o

6. AcidAngel_5.0

rotor button.. my typo ;)

7. if you want the engine code it would be E and fyi the axle code is the 11th letter in your VIN as in and 12th letter is tranny code

hence for axle..
    limited slip
    c -2.47
    d -3.42
    e- 3.27
    h- 2.73
    l - 2.79
    m - 2.73
    o - 3.00
    r - 3.45
    w - 3.73
    z- 3.08

hence your tranny should be 5 for a borg warner t5 "manual"

8. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

For starters do a basic tune up, ie spark plugs, good plug wires (FRPP, MSD, etc), cap and rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve, and a K&N airfilter. I'd also bump the timing to 14* instead of 10* which is where it should be if its never been adjusted. That should give you a couple HP.
    As for bolt-on's, Id do some shorty headers, an off road H pipe, and a catback of your choice. Pulleys are a good choice, though some dont like the fact they slow down your H20 pump and alternator, which is already a weak 75 amp piece of crap. I'd do gears and a shifter first though. Soem nice 3.73's and a Pro 5.0 would be what I would use. To clean up the engine bay, you can always get the FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) A/C delete kit for like $45. It eliminates all the ugly A/C lines and cleans the bay up quite a bit. Here's my '89 stangs engine bay without A/C, a 130 amp alternator, FRPP plug wires, 65mm throttle body, Fluidyne radiator, and some other small crap....
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Im tempted to get rid of the a/c in my car. It needs to be recharged so i never use it anyways though it would be nice on hot days :hs:

10. Tool

Tool Erect Member OT Supporter

looks like its missing an air filter and maf sensor as well :eek3:

11. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

it doesnt have a maf sensor ;) MAF was 89 and up for 49 states and 88 and up for california cars.

Its a speed density car.

12. Tool

Tool Erect Member OT Supporter

:uh: didnt look at the year

13. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

just so you know ahead of time, the headers are a royal bitch to put on. Im still in the process of puttin mine on. going on 5+ hrs

14. AcidAngel_5.0

whats the prob.. put mine on in about 30 minutes.. bbk shorties + off road h pipe

15. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

X2

16. idontgiveashit

found out the problem...since i bought used ones, you never knwo whats gona be wrong, somehow the previous owner had bent the 2 rear primarys on it, i couldnt get it to line up, and my cars kinda rusty on the inside, so getttin the exhaust unbolted from the factory"headers" was almost impossible, i ended up putting my factory ones back on, ill do it when i get some more ambition some day. How much did anyone notice with the new headers ive got mac uneaqual shorties.

17. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

You probably wont notice a difference. BTW Mac's headers are probably the worst you could have gotten. Quality sucks and they are not a one piece flange design.

18. AcidAngel_5.0

sell them.. i have bbk unequal shorties and high flow h-pipe.. i bought them used for 150 so thats why i got them.. but i would (and will) end up buying equal longtubes..

the unequals shorties will fug up your back pressure and you will loose performance. i should be over 300hp but im only putting down 282 and 330 torque.. my exhaust is what is killing me

19. idontgiveashit

i got them for 80 bucks, talked ot the guy i got em from tonite and he said if i cant figure somethin out hes gona giime my moeny back, and icant see why these would hurt backpressure more than factory, since they are unequal too..i duno, its a step up from the fucked up factory pieces.

20. AcidAngel_5.0

it will give unequal backpressure, for a more stock of a car like yours it doesnt really matter, but for me its holding back a good 25 horses.. i should be over 300rwhp easily but im only doin 282... the torque is around the target it should be with 330

21. idontgiveashit

really...well, i might just sell them back and get some equals, i will eventually build it up.

22. AcidAngel_5.0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gotta get some LT and get me back the 300 at the wheels mark

23. idontgiveashit

id like some long tubes, but im poor...redoin the body how i wanted it took alot of money the way it is now....

24. Village Idiot

Village Idiot OT Supporter

I disagree. My last 3 Mustangs all had Mac products on them. I never had fitment or leakage problems.........And the price is reasonable :wiggle:

25. blackgt

blackgt Guest

The best mods are 3.73 gears, intake manifold and full exhaust, and don't forget power pulleys.