GUN Just bought my first gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrburner, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

Years ago, I was somewhat anti-gun - I had been shooting before, but believed many common misconceptions about guns in general and gun ownership - members like Joe_Cool defenitely helped me learn more and open up quite a bit to guns

I have been shooting a number of times and had been thinking about getting a gun for quite awhile, but I was constantly just thinking about it and never seeing such importance in owning one (live in a pretty nice area, never really had anything bad happen while I was a witness - have had the car broken into before and the garage (detached from house - long time ago in chicago) - recently my roomate was robbed at gunpoint (i'm sure you can search for the thread) and that was pretty much the icing on the cake

So to make a long story short, I went to the scottsdale gun club last sunday and walked out with a Sig CPO P226R .40 cal

here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

although it may be hard to tell from the pics (low light, no tripod) the gun looks virtually brand new with just some wear on the barrel - the recoil spring and magazines seem incredibly firm in comparison to all the range guns i've shot - i assume this is normal since the CPOs have a new recoil spring and what look like new mags?

anyways, going shooting saturday and sunday this weekend :wavey:

2. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Nice gun. How much did you pay? Is this your carry gun?
    I got a 40 as my first gun; looking back I should have got the 9mm or the 45 ACP. 9MM is cheap to shoot + capacity, .45 isnt much more than .40 and packs a little more.

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

$525 - and it will likely be my carry gun - i'll see how it goes within the first couple of months and if i decide that i think carrying is something i should do daily and this isn't fitting right, i might go for a p229 or something else entirely

i'll probably try to get my ccw within the next month or so

i personally like the feel of the .40 over both the 9mm and the 45 - although admittedly, i don't have near the amount of experience most do on this board and i've only shot a handful of guns

for range ammo, i get a box of 100 winchester whites at walmart for $15...9's aren't that much cheaper (12 or 13 i think for a box of 100) and 45s are 20ish i believe - it's likely something that i will get into (shooting at the range especially) and i doubt i'll limit myself to 1 gun - i already want more

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:h5:

welcome to WMD. personally though, I cant seem to like SIGs, but I know why people love them.

Now, go out and buy 3 cases worth of ammo :big grin:

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It's always good to see that people can start thinking rationally.:mamoru: Nice looking gun and welcome to the addiction.:h5:

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Glad to hear some people coming to their senses :coold: Nice looking gun.

Welcome to WMD :wavey:

7. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Excellent choice on your first handgun :bowdown:. If you want a good carry rig get a CTAC. It's the best really solid IWB holster you'll find that you don't have to wait months for.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Welcome to AZ gun crew :wavey:

Very nice purchase. You won't be dissapointed with that gun.

9. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i've actually been going shooting sundays at ben avery with a group including the guy that bought your sigpro - know him from a different forum - i've put a couple hundred rounds through that thing :eek3:

any good shooting ranges out here i should look out for? i get off work m-f at 7 and since most places close at 8, i can't really get out during the week - there is apparently this cool moving target thing thursday nights at a place by south mountain but i've only been to scottsdale gun club and ben avery

10. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i've been debating that vs the VM2 and i've heard the VM2 is more comfortable - i'm just going to wait until my ccw goes through and then i'll start worrying about holsters - i got an open carry holster for the range, but i honestly can't see myself doing open carry anywhere else

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I have a membership at shootersworld, so I mostly go there. I thought the gun club had the moving targets (I've never been there).

Glad you guys are getting use out of it - it's a great gun.

12. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

thanks for the complements everyone - making me want to go shooting even more sat/sun

so is it normal for the recoil springs and magazine to be very firm? it was a big struggle to get the 12th round in either of the 2 magazines and now that it is in, there is no give on the spring

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Sounds like they're just new - they should break in after a while.

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

awesome :eek3:

15. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yeah, thats normal.. on my glock mags, i usually use a little plastic reloader thing, makes it easier to load the mags..

but im a pansy, so to each his own

16. Artyboy

If you're going to get a VM2 you should order it now. I got my CTAC because the waiting list for the VM2 was 6 months :eek3:

17. Accord

Accord New Member

+1

I was going to get a VM2, but didn't want to wait, so I got a CTAC instead.

18. Accord

Accord New Member

I switched my contract from UV to UZ and have to wait until 1 October for the new fiscal year to sign it.

19. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

20. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

mrburner - great gun.

I am also 4CHN8 on sigforums. I am the one who got that VM2 from ACP Man. I just realized that was you asking about it as well when I saw your post here.

I plan on trying it and probably buying a CTAC and keeping whichever I prefer.

You will not be disappointed with the 226. I have almost 1000 rounds thru mine and could not be happier.

As you have already noted, Top Gun gets the VM2s in stock regularly so you don't have to wait. I need to order a belt from Beltman now.

Congrats again.

21. Furner

Furner New Member

second on the CTAC. usually with gun stuff, i have to go through alot of different things to find something i like, but my CTAC is my first and only holster for my XD and i love it to death

edit: and get a wilderness belt.

22. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i was thinking of picking one of those HKS 940's to see how they work - this shit kills my thumbs

23. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

damn, small world - let me know what you think of that vm2 as i'm very curious

i read a review awhile back comparing the vm2 and ctac and basically the verdict was that both were pretty comfortable, but the ctac felt more rigid and after awhile that could become uncomfortable whereas the vm2's leather made it softer and felt more bendable next to your leg while walking around

i just wish i could find some place that has both (or even at least one of them) and try it out

i've noticed that i get a pretty decent size imprint from the handle/grip section of the gun when its tucked in under my shirt/pants (just testing to see what it looks like, not carrying it out yet) - is this generally fixed with a nice ccw holster like the ctact/vm2? does it draw the handle in as close to your body as possible? don't know if its the clothes i'm wearing or whatnot (they are a little baggy) but i keep getting a big handle imprint and when i move around, sometimes my shirt will get caught behind the handle area showing an even more defined imprint - i'm trying to tuck it in as it would be with a ccw holster (barrel and trigger area tucked in behind the belt/pants while the handle is sticking out)

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Defintely, some help with it more than others.
    My favorite in waist band holster is Lou Alessi's "The Hideout" It has a very firm leather "fin" that presses against your leg and helps keep the butt of the gun pressed in against your side. You need a quality belt and holster for sure though.
    [​IMG]

25. Artyboy

I'll take some pictures of my SigPro in my C.T.A.C. here in a bit after I get dressed. You have to adjust the holster but once you get it adjusted correcly the gun dissapears. I have to bend over completely for my grip to even start to print. Even then it looks like it could be a cell phone or something.