Just bought my first bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PharCyde, Jul 3, 2008.

1. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

96 Katana 600

And I have absolutely no clue how to ride :bowdown:

Just tried to ride up and down the driveway, stalled out everytime I put it in gear :rofl:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

this won't end well

3. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

MSF class ASAP!

Congrats on the bike!

Saw you were in Raleigh.........the MSF classes at the colleges around have a LONG waiting list. I took the one at Ray Price Harley. If anything get in line for this class. It will help seeing you haven't ridden before.

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Shoulda got a busa, you cant stall them out.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

ray price.........I was in Raleigh for work and wen there and found the bike I wanted. I would have bought it and road it home to new england but they wouldn't work with me on financing at all.

6. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Really?!?!? Well to be honest Ray Price was SHIT for awhile. Sales and service just sucked ass. Finally turned around the past year or so. Gerry was the guy I picked up my Sportster from. Great guy.

If anyone takes the Rider Edge course make sure you get Manny and Polly. They are incredible teachers! Plus you have to make sure to get Manny to run the course in his touring harley. Makes you feel bad if you struggled with the Blast.

7. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

just put it in 1st gear, open the throttle all the way (it's got a rev limiter, don't worry about revving it too high) and let out the clutch quickly.

9. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

grats dude. take the MSF, it's worth every penny. and buy some gear. and just practice in the driveway, remember, first gear is all the way down. hit me up on AIM if you have any questions, it's still the same one

10. 7960

7960 New Member

I was there in 2004 I believe (I might be a year off either way).

11. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

my wife saw a guy flip his bike trying to do a brake stand at a light. she said his tire spun for one rotation and then it shot out from under him and flew off the road into a building. she asked how that could happen and I said "It takes a lot of stupid." :rofl:

12. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Just do this, and you're sure never to stall out any type of vehicle. :rofl:
    BTW, it helps to make sure it's in first gear, and you give it a little gas.
    But yes, since you were smart enough to buy a smaller bike, I'm not gonna chide you.

13. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

This wears out the clutch a little more than usual but I told my friends to do it and have had great results. Hold the RPMS around 3K and then start to let the clutch out but don't give it anymore gas, never let the rpms drop below 1.5K and you should never stall it again. You will get used to the feeling soon and you will be able to let the clutch out without any gas without stalling it.

14. Junkie

Not all bikes idle high enough to be able to get going without any gas.

And yeah, bike clutches are CHEAP... like $100 will easily get you new friction plates + springs + gasket, and another $50 would certainly cover me installing it if you were local (and you can probably find someone to do so). You do have to change the oil at the same time as the clutch though, and if you're burning a lot of clutch you should change the oil pretty frequently.

15. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

If you're having trouble just let give it a little gas and let the clutch out very slow until you get the hang of it.

Let it out right to the point where you just start moving and give it a little more gas and release it slowly. Don't be afraid to ride the clutch a little bit just to get the hang of it.

16. monkeymunzey

monkeymunzey Guest

start out on just the back wheel....much easier to see where you are going than on both.

17. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

MSF asap

18. 3x

3x New Member

Why do I feel like anyone who cant ride a bike the first time without stalling it isn't someone I want on the road? First time on a bike I had no problems what so ever getting it going smoothly. Maybe I just have common sense?

19. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

No, you're just special.

20. Junkie

did you know how to drive stick? At this point I've got a bike with a VERY stiff clutch and don't have any issues but I learned to use a clutch on a bike :o

21. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

I learned motorcycle when I was 12, and even then I didn't have trouble with stalling. It's obvious i didn't know how to drive stick at the time, and I really have trouble seeing how you can keep stalling it, unless you just dump the clutch like a retard.
    Really, last thing we need are idiots on bikes who stall them at stop lights and stop signs.
    Go take the course, and practice not dropping the clutch, and also make sure it's in first gear(which is all the way down)

22. 7960

7960 New Member

because you're an elitist moran?

if someone's never been on a bike before it takes getting used to. in a manual car you use both hands and feet but not at the same time and you also don't have to worry about falling over. it's not surprising that it can take a few tries to get it going when learning how to ride.

23. 3x

3x New Member

Did you read my post? Apparently thinking that being able to comprehend how to slowly let out a clutch while applying gas and shifting gears makes you an elitist now does it? Didn't say it wouldnt take some getting used to in order to master it, but if someone cant ride the bike their first try out maybe they arent meant for riding...

24. 7960

7960 New Member

no, the part where you say if someone can't do it on the first time does.

And maybe they've never ridden and just need some practice. They'd be stupid to go on the street anytime soon, but it's understandable that it could take a few times out to get it.

They're using a throttle like they've never used before, a clutch like they've never used before, shifting like they never have before, using two brakes like they never have before..............but if they don't get it on their first time out they should stop trying?

:jerkit:

25. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Because you are a prick elitist and i really hate agreeing with 7690