Just bought first car, need help!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by J R B, Jul 22, 2005.

1. J R B

J R B The pink pills are for your sanity, we are buried

Last week I bought a Black 2005 VW Golf GLS. It's my first car, and I'm already obsessed with it. Having new black paint, I'm worried that I'm going to scratch it, or wash it the wrong way and get major swirl marks. I just have a few questions, so if any of you have a spare moment to answer them, it would be very much appreciated! :)

1. Is it okay for me to wash my car once a week? I'm using some Black Magic car wash I got from Canadian Tire, and a microfibre wash mit.
    2. How often do you guys detail your car with all of those different products? Do I have to wax it every time?
    3. What's the best thing to use for cleaning a VW dash? It seems to be coated in rubber, and I don't want it really shiny/greasy, I want to keep it looking like rubber.

I apologise if these questions have been answered previously, I tried searching but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

Thanks. :wiggle:

2. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

JRB, 1. Wash once a week is fine. make sure to use 2 buckets. 1 with water/shampoo and 1 with rinse water. 2. Detail with all the products, I try and keep it to a minimun, Full detail once a year with a "spruce-up" every few months Everytime you polish the car you should wax it as well to protect the finish. 3. As for interior plastic,rubber,vinyl and such I use 303 Aerospace protectant. u can usually get it at canadian tire, so its handy that way. it can leave it with a slight cheen. very close to factory. follow directions. you can buff it off to leave a less shiny appearance. Hope this helps.

3. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I wash my truck once a week to twice a week depending on the weather and where I'm driving. I like to get bugs off from interstate driving ASAP though.

You don't have to wax once a month. It depends upon the wax you use. A carnauba wax you'll want to wax once a month, maybe more often depending on the kind you use. Carnauba wax will evaporate off the paint and since you have black, it'll be worse if you park in the sun often.

I polish my truck whenever it needs it. I usually do a polish once every 6 months or so. I rarely compound the vehicle unless I see a specific scratch or scuff I want to go after.

Can always just keep it clean. The only product I know of that doesn't produce too high of a shine is 303 Aerospace that Joetabasco mentioned. It's also has a high UV protection rating and will help keep your interior for fading. I get it at West Marine. It's a boating product.

5. J R B

Well, I washed the car on the weekend for the first time, and I noticed a few scratches that the dealership tried to remove (it was a demo vehicle). There seems to be a bit of a haze where it looks like they were buffing the area. What can I do to remove it? It's only noticable if you're really looking for it, but it still bothers me.

Also, I used a microfiber wash mit, and I wasn't too impressed with it. I didn't like how it trapped the dirt and wouldn't let go. I think I'm going to have to try and find a chenille mit or cloth.

I'm beginning to think Black was a bad idea, I'm going to be obsessive over protecting it.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The haze means they used a compound and didn't follow up with a polish. Just hit the area with a polish and it'll get ride of the haze.

I had the same experience with a MF wash mitt. It just grabbed everything and held onto it. I personally use the MF wash pads from AutoInt. They're plush and hold a LOT of water in them. autoint.com

7. J R B

Is it okay to only polish that one area? Or am I going to end up doing the entire car? Would I have to follow up with a wax?

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

It's okay to polish that one area but depending on the condition of the rest of the vehicle, then it might be somewhat obvious (i.e. one spot is nice and polished and the rest of the vehicle is hazy). Try it and see... and if you have to do the whole vehicle, then it won't hurt.

You'll have to wax after. Polish is basically a fine liquid sandpaper and will remove any coating on the top of the paint.

9. J R B

Great, thanks!

Are any of these products not recommended for being applied by hand? I'm on a bit of a budget, and I can't afford a PC at this time...:(

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Most products can be applied by hand but it's just going to take a little more work and time. Scottwax use to do everything by hand before he got a PC.

I personally like Poorboy products for hand application. poorboysworld.com

11. J R B

I can see I will probably have to vote an entire day to this, but it actually looks like it could be fun!

12. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Yeah I actually find it relaxing. You will be getting a workout though.

The poorboys product you can use in the sun so they come in handy. Just remember to take your time and do one panel at a time so that you can check your work.

Don't be surprised or discouraged if it takes more than one aplication to remove some scatches and swirls.

Remember you don't have to kill your self and do this all in one day. Some people I've heard only work at it a few hours a day.

13. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

With a black car, I'd seriously recommend spending a couple hundred dollars on a PC and some pads. I'd also bitch slap the dealer for hazing (most likely rotary swirls) your paint. You also might want to download the e-book at http://autopia.org