Just bought a PC 7424xp..Couple Questions.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by RedWings, Apr 12, 2010.

1. RedWings

RedWings New Member

After a few years of going back/forth on if I should pick up a PC, I finally pulled the trigger.

This is the kit I picked up:
    Optimum Porter Cable 7424XP Kit

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

Now I just need to figure out what pads to use in what situations. Both of our light colored cars have minor swirls since they've been handwashed 99% of the time.

Any input is appreciated

EDIT: Another questions. When doing two cars in a day, is it OK to let the pads sit while finishing the 1st car. Or should I do the same step to each car and go back and forth to avoid the pads drying?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Start with OP II and a polishing pad, move up to the compound if needed, then up to a cutting pad if needed. If you want to finish up one car first, then before polishing the second, just hold a damp MF towel in your hand and run the pad over the towel on a speed of 4-5 for a few seconds to clean it out.

3. RedWings

RedWings New Member

After the OPII and white pad, should I move to a wax + finishing pad or poli-seal + finishing pad?

One thing I normally do is use Duragloss Aquawax between washes. Should I continue doing this? Or do you recommend a better process?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

However many steps you want to take is up to you. Usually OPII leaves a finish ready for wax as it is, using Poli-Seal will add a bit to the finish, but no idea if it will be worth the extra time to you.

Aquawax is perfectly fine to use in between details.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

ifl, I want to buy that kit?

6. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Optimum really compliments that kit. I wish you would have asked before you bought, I would have recommended 5.5" pads over the 6.5".....

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

6inch pads are fine as long as you use a 6inch backing plate other wise I find the outside of the pads don't make enough contact when compounding

8. RedWings

RedWings New Member

Just finished doing my first detail with the 7424 with the above polishes. I have a few questions.

Was polishing my White Pontiac G6 that had what I thought were minor swirls. I handwash my car only with a lambswool mitt and dry with nothing but micorfiber waffle-weave towels. I washed and clayed first.

I started using the white pad and OPII. I worked it into the paint real good starting at like 3-4 and finally moving up to 5. After doing a bunch of swipes (up/down, left/right, etc..) I wiped off what was left and it did correct a lot of the swirling, but I could still see some there. So I switched to the orange pad and tried to optimum compound. That helped a little more, but not all swirls were gone. I used the same process starting on 3-4 and then moving up to 5.

I didn't want to try anything else and didn't have much time to spare so I just switched back to the OPII + white pad and did the whole car. Came out looking real nice besides the swirls that are left (hard to see since its white). I then finished it off with some aquawax.

So i'm looking for some input on what I should try to eliminate the swirls?

And when you are done using the pad, how should you clean them?

I really enjoyed using the 7424 and the paint feels silky smooth now.

9. RedWings

RedWings New Member

Another question is how much product should I be using?

White I first started I put a little swirl on the pad. After that when I moved to another panel I would put three very small dabs (size of pea or smaller) on the pad. At the end it seemed like there was a good amount of product still in the white pad.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Well, aside from not priming the pad initially in the same way as I would, it sounds like you're using about the right amount of product.

11. RedWings

RedWings New Member

How do you prime the pad?

12. LancerV

I just rub the product into the product all the way acroiss

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Same here. Do some reading on the Kevin Brown method and you'll get an idea of how to prime a pad. :bigthumb:

14. LancerV

Only thing I don't do it with is waxes and glazes they get the small dot method