Just bought a new SATA *Cant access docs*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rumperpumper, Feb 7, 2007.

1. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

SO i just put in a new SATA in my pc and thought i would install a fresh copy of windows (XP) on it and use the other (original) disk as storage. So i plugged it all in ok and installed windows all ok but when i browse the old disk and look for my documents and what not it says i do not have permissions to do any thing with it, i cant even open the directory.

ARGHHHHH WHAT CAN I DO!!!?!?!?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The problem is that the folders were owned by a user with a unique ID number that the new installation of Windows doesn't know about, so it can't open them. To solve the problem, do a Google search for "take ownership of folders in Windows XP", and then follow the directions you find.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Right click on the folder and go to properties > security > advanced > owner >
    Select your login name from the list and also check the replace option at the bottom >
    Apply and ok.

Repeat as necessary.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

...yeah, that's pretty much what Google would have told you, I was feeling lazy myself. Anyway, if you just highlight everything in the root folder and hit Alt+Enter, that will let you change the Properties for everything on the old drive all at once. Just take ownership of it all, even if you can already see most of the files. No reason to be picky.