WEB Just bought a domain from godaddy vs. Need Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SuperMan91, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SuperMan91

SuperMan91 New Member

So I just purchased a domain name from godaddy.com and I also got hosting from mysite.com. The problem is that everytime I try to login to my domain on my hosting, it takes me to some godaddy page and Im not able to upload anything to it.

Ps. Yes this is the first time of me doing this.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Did you change your nameservers?

You will be given the address of nameservers from your host.

You need to log into your account on godaddy.com and update the nameservers from godaddy's to the ones provided by your host. Then wait a bit for it to update, and then you can log into your domain through your host. Then you'll be able to upload stuff.

Nameservers basically say "ok, we're at this domain, where is the data being kept?" Right now it's being kept on godaddy. You are going to upload your stuff to your host, so you need to change the nameservers to the ones provided so when someone goes to your site it says "ok, we're at this domain, we're gonna go get the data from your host."

3. SuperMan91

SuperMan91 New Member

O wow. Thanks. Ill try that out now.

4. SuperMan91

SuperMan91 New Member

Damn I suck.
    I take it i did it wrong. Then again, I dont even know what im doing. I know where to change the DNS on my account at godaddy, but idk how to find the DNS for www.mysite.com.

5. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

they should have sent you an email with your nameservers when you opened the account. If not you'll probably need to email them.

6. SuperMan91

SuperMan91 New Member

The e-mail didnt come with any nameservers so i just replied back to them.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yeah, they should email them to you. I use hostgator for hosting and I have an email that says "these are your nameservers."

If you JUST registered it may take a little while. Call them if you haven't heard from them in a few hours.

8. SuperMan91

SuperMan91 New Member

I think I got it. I just called them and now im waiting for godaddy to update. Thanks for the help Falconer and Phasm. Ill post again if more problems occur.

and Falconer, how cheap is hostgator? and why did you choose them over everyone else?

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I choose hostgator cuz people on this forum said they were good. I can't remember how cheap they are. I paid for a year of hosting on unlimited domains. I'm pretty sure it was less than $10/mo.

10. SuperMan91

SuperMan91 New Member

Well im just starting out so I chose hosting that didnt cost much. Its only 6 dollars a month with no ads and i get 1GB of diskspace which I prolly wont even use. Other than the problem I just had with the nameservers, there pretty much good.