A&P Just bought a D70 v.first couple pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pelf, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

What do you think? First time shooting at night. Dont have any daytime shots yet, been busy with work.

Here is a link to the gallery I have them in and it has all the EXIF data there if your curious.

http://photosbypelf.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=33

What do you think of them?

2. pelf

what can i do to fix this? is this user error? the lense is clean....?

3. killer4605

killer4605 New Member

long exposures.. tripod?

4. pelf

yeah, really long exposure times & i was using a tripod but it wasnt 100% stable. im going to try again tonight to see if can get it to work nicer

5. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

fairly ordinary but keep trying. takes time to learn a new tool, my first few D70 photos were crap too :)

6. pelf

Thanks, I just feel like its not focussing well enough and that its coming out a little blurry. I dropped the ISO to 200 and tried with the tripod again and its getting a little better but still not as nice as I'd like. Just going to take a bunch of practice. I really need a photography class or reading guide or something

7. killer4605

killer4605 New Member

Get the tripod more steady and use manual focus if your auto focus isn't getting things in focus.

8. pelf

What shutter speeds and apetures do you think I should use for pictures like that at night? I was trying to go for the trailing light effect. Should I use a different speed when I'm trying to get a still image like a building?

9. killer4605

killer4605 New Member

just try different things and see what works

10. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

try using a better tripod or make it more stable.. also that lighting kindda sucks.. i hate shooting night pics under those colored lights.. makes the picture have that 'orange' color to 'em..

11. mojito

mojito New Member

try white balancing sometime

12. sony

sony Active Member

congrats on the purchase :bigok: welcome to nikon crew :big grin:

13. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

for night shots you need a few things..
    • A STURDY tripod (one that flaps in the wind is useless)
    • Longish exposure (at least a couple of seconds, minimises the effect of vibration caused by mirror lockup)
    • Set the camera on self-timer (2s or 5s, 10s is too long to wait). Otherwise your hand will cause vibration in the picture. Alternatively buy the wireless remote (I haven't bothered).

Also, if you use the idiot stick on your tripod well, you're an idiot. If you don't know what the idiot stick is, then refer to the following image and do not extend this part of the tripod if you want a clean shot :)

[​IMG]

If your subject matter confuses the autofocus then focus on something far away with good texture (half depress shutter), switch the camera/lens to manual focus and take your shots (being careful not to bump the focus ring). Remember to refocus if you change the zoom setting as focus usually drifts slightly.

That'll do, this'll be long enough to be an EDU soon :o

14. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

You can do this, but 2 things will happen:

1) lights will get star-like points, which get longer the higher your aperture is.
    2) you will start to lose clarity due to diffraction effects.

the sharpest point on most lenses is around f/8 to f/11.

15. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

unless you are going for the "star" effect on the lights shoot night shots @ f/5.6, you'll get better results. And like Viper said.. your WB is WAAAAAAAY off.....

16. pelf

I have been using auto...

what should i use?

17. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

White balance can be fixed in photoshop or you can fix it before shooting by focusing your camera on a white object under the lighting conditions you're shooting in and lock in your WB setting.

Another "trick" in night photography is to use a long exposure (on a tripod of course) of about 30 or more seconds and light your object with a seperate flash unit. In this shot I fired my flash four or five times at my car from different angles. The film is balanced for the light of the flash so the overhead lights look orange. You can see the trailing lights of passing cars in the background.

[​IMG]

18. mojito

mojito New Member

Sharpest point on a lens is almost always 2 stops from wide open.

if you go past f/16 than you'll have problems

19. pelf

Played around with the camera...It was sunny out today (too sunny) and I played around a bit more..I know they are shit. Critisize please? How to improve?

http://photosbypelf.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=33&g2_navId=x096df8e6

Also snapped a couple of the mission here at school last night...comments on those? Do they look better focused at all? I used a better tripod and timer to snap the pics. Once again they are probably shit in your eyes, but tell me why and how to improve if you dont mind. :)

20. pelf

Looking back at those pics, the day ones look underexposed (I think?) It was just so damn sunny and bright out that I couldnt seem to find a setting I liked. What can I do to avoid getting hazey pictures like that with a light blue sky? Should I get a circular Polarizing filter?

21. mojito

mojito New Member

something's weird. they don't look that far off, but yet according to the exif info you shot at:
    ISO 400
    F/8
    1/500

According to the basic daylight exposure (sunny 16 rule), assuming you wanted to shoot at iso 400 and f/8 you should have been at:
    1/400
    f/8
    1/1600

thats 1 and 2/3 stops overexposed. yet it doesn't show that, so i "dunno: how did you meter it and what mode did you shoot in?

a polarizer will darken the sky and reduce the overall contrast a bit.

22. pelf

I shot in manual mode and was just playing around with the settings. Honestly dont really have a clue what I'm doing yet (just learning from mistakes)

Where did you get that sunny 16 rule? I'd be interesting in looking at the other ones. I dont know what you mean by "how did you meter it" (still a complete newbie)

I will be doing a trip to spain this summer and doing a ton of landscape photography so thats why I asked about the circular polarizer.

thanks for the help

23. mojito

mojito New Member

the sunny 16 rule is a great tool if your meter is broken orknow your camera is off etc. it simply states that:
    the shutter speed should be 1/iso @f/16.

so if the ISO is 100, a corectly exposed image would be 1/100 at f/16. like wise if you had iso 800, it would be 1/800 at f/16. From there you can do a equivaent exposure to get the shutter speed and aperature combo you want for stop action or depth of field.

this applies for any time the sun is visable basically, expect sunrise and sunset. , and assumes no major clouds. before modern meters were available, most photographers knew the rule and how much to adjust for it based on actual conditions. so if it was a cloudy day you'd open up 3 stops etc.

i'm sure that was over your head, and honestly probably isn't anything you'll ever need to know.

24. Blair

Blair New Member

that's wierd seeing SC i have an ex-gf that goes there. i used to go down and visit her when she still lived in swig.

25. pelf

Haha cool. I live in a dorm right across from swig