GUN Just bought a 30.06 and was wondering...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by adamlewis, Feb 1, 2005.

1. adamlewis

adamlewis Guest

Is there anything wrong with shooting ammo like this through it? http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Korean_Surplus_30_06.html

I might hunt some with the gun but all I really want to do is shoot target from 300-400 yards at some point. I just want to make sure that shooting surplus ammunition wont hurt the rifle.

My fiances step brother has an 8mm Mauser that he bought some old ammunition for and he says that its highly corrosive to the chamber? He also said that shooting FMJ rounds is hard on the bore of a rifle?

Sorry for being such a noob...Just trying to learn.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Some Korean Ammo has corrosive primers. You have to clean the barrel out w/ water. Some people use other products to do it also. Other Koren ammo has had bad runs that like to blow up guns... The KA Headstamps are corrosive and I think the other headstamp is a PA? I'm not sure on that one though. Someone else will be along that'll know.

and FMJ will be harder on the barrel than a non-jacketed lead bullet...

3. adamlewis

adamlewis Guest

Well is there any place I can get surplus ammo that wont hurt my rifle? I dont mind paying $10 for a box of 20 rounds, but if I can just get a feel for the gun using something cheaper, I wouldnt mind that either...

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

during the 70's korea switched from a corrosive to non-corrosive primer. You should be okay, Aim's a good business to deal with, email them for more info.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Also, from what I've heard, if it comes in clips already for the M1, then it's most probably KA ammo. If it's in the boxes, then it's most probably non-corrosive.

CMP has delinked M2 Ball Ammo that people shoot in their M1s. It's $192 for 960 rounds.

6. soccaian

soccaian New Member

AIM is a very good company, it is highly unlikely that they would sell you anything that is detrimental to your weapon(besides corrosive primers). just give em a call up and ask them what they recommend