MMA just back from naga

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Nov 5, 2006.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Ok well this was an interesting experience... I did 149 lbs advanced no gi, 149 lbs blue belt. I lost my match in the no gi to a black belt (John Ramirez from new breed bjj) by points 4-2, and placed 3rd in the gi division. I have videos but my friend has the camera at the moment so they will be up later. I thought I learned a lot because it seems like the advanced no gi division just means purple/brown/black skill level but it was pretty hard to tell them apart. This was the second time I've ever rolled with a black belt, and first time I've done it seriously, and it seems like they are not as "unbeatable" as I had imagined them to be. 2 of the points scored on me was because of a takedown, and the other 2 were from a sweep. I scored the 2 points by passing his guard once, and basically think that if I trained hard to just win by points, its possible (although in my opinion that would not mean nearly as much as winning by a sub). In terms of gi competition, I'm getting more used to it, and lost one match because of a stupid mistake I made.

I decided to go last minute, and am sort of glad that I did, it was a fun experience and soon I will have videos so I can analyze my game some more :)

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i'd really like to see the video of you against johny

3. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

:coold: awesome job, 3rd place is still awesome

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

from another forum :

Congrats to Performance Jiu-Jitsu's Jay Hayes! Jay, who is a BJJ purple belt, normally weighs in at 169 pounds for these tournaments, and he just won the EXPERT No-Gi division!!! EDIT: I Forgot to mention it was the Expert ABSOLUTE Division!

He submitted blackbelt JOHNNY RAMIREZ with a kimura, and also submitted a blackbelt "SONECA" (Not Helio Soneca) who recently moved from Brazil and started teaching in NY. He caught him with a triangle in about 30 seconds.

In the finals he also submitted his opponent. Jay ended up missing his regular weight division because he advanced so far into the absolute.
    om you!!

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:cool:

Helio Soneca does seminars all the time around my place, he just had one today as a matter of fact but I had work so I couldn't go to it D:

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

wow, this jay hayes must be a stud. And regarding helio soneca, he was my friend's instructor and came down to my university for a day a year ago to give a seminar, pretty skilled guy. He is the first black belt I've ever rolled with but and got ankle locked by him

7. teep

teep New Member

Edit: oops posted in the wrong thread...ignore this. sorry

8. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Nice work Brolli!