Just a little compiled metal info for any interested...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by s34s0ns, Jan 6, 2005.

1. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

distorted guitars, harsh vocals (although there are plenty of band and genres that use clean vocals a lot), and pounding rhythms. Over the years, Heavy Metal has developed many genres and styles:
    • Traditional Heavy Metal: During the late '60s and '70s, pioneering bands Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin set out to change the face of Rock music forever. The latter band played Blues songs heavier and more aggressively than anyone ever had before, and created their own brand of Hard Rock that took influences from many musical sources.
    • NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal): In the late '70s and '80s, British bands fused the intensity of Punk and the heaviness of Heavy Metal, as well as a favoring twin guitarists. The most memorable bands in this genre include the likes of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Motörhead.
    • Hair Metal/Glam Metal: Hair Metal is a sarcastic term applied to the slick, sleazy, and mainstream oriented, "big-haired" Heavy Metal and Hard Rock bands and artists of the late '80s. The most important artists of this musical movement are Bon Jovi, Poison, and Mötley Crüe.
    • Power Metal: Power Metal initially started in the late '80s and early '90s as a reaction against the lack of melody in the music that Death Metal bands were playing. Power Metal is rooted in the flashy and complex music of Progressive Metal and the NWOBHM, but some bands may also incorporate Death Metal-like guttural, growling vocals. Key artists of Power Metal include Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Stratovarius.
    • Speed/Thrash Metal: Speed Metal started out as a fusion of the tempos of Hardcore Punk and the heaviness of the existing Metal acts, with bands such as Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth leading this new brand of Heavy Metal, which stood in direct contrast with the Pop-influenced Metal of the '80s, namely Bon Jovi and Poison among others. Thrash is an even heavier version of Speed Metal, which would later evolve into the Extreme Metal genres, such as Death and Black Metal.
    • Extreme Metal:
    o Death Metal: Death Metal is a direct descendent of Thrash Metal, taking the intensity and heaviness of the music to extreme and violent levels, using growling, guttural vocals, sometimes referred to as "cookie monster" vocals, extremely down-tuned guitars and furious blast-beats and double bass drumming. The pioneers of this genre are said to be Slayer and Sepultura, with bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide and Obituary later resurrecting the genre in the US, in the late '80s and early '90s.
     Melodic Death Metal: Death Metal bands began to add melody to what was previously a brutal assault on the ears and began to add clean vocals. Soilwork an In Flames are the most popular bands in this sub-genre.
    o Grindcore: Grindcore started out as practically noise; blasts of music played for as little as a few seconds. As the years went by, Death Metal and Grindcore began to sound alike. The genre's name comes from the "grinding" sound made by the atonal riffs 'grinding' into one another. Napalm Death and Carcass are stand-out artists of this genre.
    o Black Metal: Coined after a Venom album and evolving simultaneously with Death Metal, Black Metal uses similar albeit melodic music to express satanic and pagan ideas. Black Metal vocalists rely on a high-pitched shriek. Key northern European bands that helped bring back the style include Burzum, Darkthrone and Mayhem, along with various bands from other corners of the globe, such as Cradle Of Filth and Goatwhore.
     Symphonic Black Metal: Another branch of Black Metal began to evolve that incorporated classical, orchestra-like music and favored melodic, gothic keyboard and synth music as a backdrop to the extreme music, with Tiamat and Samale pioneering the style.
    o Doom Metal: Slowest form of Heavy Metal, it borrows the sluggish riffs and tempos of traditional Heavy Metal bands like Black Sabbath, while also incorporating elements of Death Metal. My Dying Bride, Candlemass and Anathema are key artists of this style.
     Sludge Metal: Many bands such as Eyehategod and Crowbar heavily drew from the slow, Led Zeppelin-like crawl of Grunge bands, which ultimately was called Sludge Metal.
     Stoner Rock: During the early '90s, a band called Kyuss began to mold the psychedelic sound of Traditional Heavy Metal and the sound of old Melvins-like Grunge, breeding bands such as Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet and a band which would eventually have half the members of Kyuss, The Queens Of The Stone Age.
    • Industrial Metal: Industrial Metal is a fusion of dance music and the heavy, distorted guitars and abrasiveness of Heavy Metal, which gained a reasonable number of fans in the late '80s and early '90s. Nine Inch Nails, Ministry and Fear Factory are good examples of this 'mixture.'
    • Goth Metal: The atmosphere and texture of Goth Rock and the volume of Heavy Metal are fused to create Goth Metal, with bands such as Lacuna Coil, HIM, Moonspell and Type O Negative finding the middle ground between the two styles.
    • Progressive Metal: Progressive Metal bands mix the volume and aggression of Heavy Metal and the sound of Progressive Rock bands such as Pink Floyd. Stand out artists of this subgenre are Queensryche and Dream Theater.
    o Neo-Classical Metal: Jimi Hendrix's and Eddie Van Halen's incredible technical skills on the guitar sparked an interest in many guitarists to copy them and create a new subgenre full of 'shredders.' Precise hammer-ons, note picking and extreme technical skill are what separate these guitarists, such as Randy Rhoads and Yngwie Malmsteen, from the rest.
    • Alternative Metal: During the '80s and early '90s, many bands began to incorporate elements of Funk, Jazz, Punk, Rap/Hip-Hop and Dance music, which led to an amalgam of Metal and various other styles that previously had nothing to do with Heavy music. Faith No More, Janes Addiction and The Red Hot Chili Peppers are good examples of this new wave of 'fusion' Metal.
    • Metalcore/Hardcore Metal: Blending the speed and attitude of Hardcore Metal and the ferocious intensity of Heavy Metal, Metalcore bands appear to be the new version of the NWOBHM, with key acts such as Chimaira, Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, Shai Hulud, Lamb Of God and Poison The Well at the head of the pack.
    Nu-Metal: (debated heavily) During the mid and late '90s, countless bands began to add Funk/Hip-Hop rhythms and beats to their music and added MCs and rap-influenced vocals to the mix. Nu-Metal has elements of Funk, Hip-Hop/Rap, uses samplers and/or DJs (which may also add a 'Techno' feel to the music at times) and has an ‘angry’ attitude towards life in general expressed in the lyrics. Singing can either be Hardcore-like screams, rapping, a combination of both, or melodic singing. In other styles of Heavy Metal, aggressive riffs and pounding drums would be the main focus of the music, while in Nu-Metal, the bass and vocals are made the center. Nu - Metal guitarists don't play solos, although an exception to this rule of thumb, among others, is SOAD's Daron Malakian. The most distinguished artists of this style include Linkin Park, Papa Roach, The Deftones, KoRn and Slipknot

2. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

i'm probably gonna post a few times once i pick more things out to comment on.
    firstly, good list.
    second, it really hurts to see the deftones on a numetal list. while i totally understand why you'd put them t here, they really don't belong next to papa roach & linkin park.
    second, crowbar really isin't sludge metal as much as southern metal, like COC & down. but i guess that becomes a fine line there.

3. MiseryIndex

i really don't know what you mean by melodic death metal. there's nothing about any soilwork or in flames (over the last many many years) that involves blast beats or 'death metal vocals'.

i'd call them euro-metal. with meshuggah (who may fit into other classes as well i suppose)

4. MiseryIndex

see, i really disagree with this...
    if anything, morbid angel is melodic. atleast to the point where they use tremlo picked harmonies a lot more than most.
    i'd also add another class for euro metal, as mentioned, & new age death metal. or whatever you wanna call it.
    this would be for the bands with blast beats & death metal vocals, but who replace the traditional death metal solo's with breakdowns. like dying fetus, misery index, internal bleeding, dehumanized, etc.
    now, sepultura...what they did was almost always trash. i guess it borderlined death metal back with the first 2 albums. but you can't mention death metal without mentioning death & posessed, as far as origins go.
    really, again, soilwork & in flames don't do anything that has to do with death metal, in my opinion. older in flames could borderline. but no soilwork. even the first 2 albums with no sung vocals.

oh & for noise metal, anal cunt & blood duster.

5. hello pedro

hello pedro Guest

damn you know your shit sicklife.

6. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

7. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

He's referring to the gothenburg sound pioneered by At the gates, which inspired other bands to incorporate melody and eventually became known as melodic death metal. Both In flames and Soilwork used to play this style of metal, but now both have become much more rock influenced, and don't really fit this category anymore.

There's already a name for this genre, its called brutal death metal or deathgrind, within which some bands incorporate Breakdowns.

Agreed, Death and Possessed were the first death metal bands, slayer were a heavy influence though. Sepultura didn't come on the scene till later on as they were thrash for the first two albums or so.

I've just gotta add that Repulsion and Napalm death were the fathers of the genre, Repulsion recorded the first album (Horrified), but it wasn't released till several years after Scum was released by Napalm death. Also Terrorizer and Brutal truth are two other well known and respected Grind bands.

www.anus.com has some really good material on genre definitions, history and the like.

8. MiseryIndex

i know what he meant. but i just don't see what it had to do with death metal. i'm aware of the very early in flames. (same with the very early sentenced when they had their old singer, & even some of the old shadows fall when they had their old singer who now sings for all that remains)
    but the first 2 soilwork album's, the ones without sung vocals, really don't fit there.

no death metal vocals, tremlo picking, or blast beats = 'death metal' should be nowhere in the genre title, IMO.
    to me, 'melodic death metal' should be the death metal bands that have all other elements of death metal, but focus on harmonies with the guitars, & even use keyboards. morbid angel is one such band. vehemence as well. scarve would be another, though the fact that they have sung vocals makes me almost not wanna put them there.i guess it could almost borderline black metal, except for the fact that there's still low end & the vocals are very different.
    the death metal bands would be cannibal corpse, malevolent creation, deicide, etc. i guess you'd call them the less experimental death metal bands.

its gonna be a REALLY fine line with this argument, so i won't harp on it really.

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

I understand what your saying and hey if it were up to me id make up my own new catagories for each one, but I organized them into what they are commonly known as (not that I totaly agree with all of them). Also alot of the bands that were used as examples were picked from being more well known so that someone that doesnt know everything about metal might be able to recognize.

10. DiabSoule!

DiabSoule! ooh, plum been runnin', buck a doz. ooh, smoke ba

Not sure what you are calling Sepultura's first two, but Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions were as death metal as anything of the time. I believe BD came out around the same time as Death's Scream Bloody Gore. They moved to a more thrashy sound with Shizophrenia and Beneath the Remains. On the european side, Nihilist (which eventually became Entombed and a few others) were also around very early on.

I would also add Venom and early Celtic Frost/Hellhammer as the great grand daddys of the genre, they were around before Possessed & Death.

11. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

I always thought there earlier stuff was more proto-death metal, kinda like slayer, not quite full on death metal. I haven't listened to it for a while, but I always thought Beneath the Remains sounded very death metally, I'll have to give it another listen. Just for the record, Seven churches by Possessed was the first death metal album, and predates both Death's and Sepultura's first albums.

Hmmmm, gotta disagree here, whilst these bands may have been an influence in some way, they were most definitely early black metal. In fact Venom, Hellhammer/Celtic frost and Bathory are attributed as being the first bands or "first wave" of Black metal, where it was still very thrashy/heavy metal sounding. Bands such as Darkthrone, Immortal, Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor and other bm outfits formed the "second wave" of Black metal, with a much more focused and distinguishable sound.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  12. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos New Member

i woulda added the exploited under thrash metal :o

good listing though

13. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos New Member

you would prefer things to be unclassified?? or are you complaining that linkin park wasnt listed under heavy metal? :mamour: