GUN Just a friendly debate/discussion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Mar 18, 2009.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

What the hell is the fascination with Glocks? I personally don't get it?! I have shot several models and I can't, no matter how hard I try, make myself like them. They are ugly, don't feel right in MY hands, don't point naturally, etc. I'm not a hater but seriously, why all the fanbois?

I'm just going to sit back (with my flame suit on) and watch the debate now [​IMG] Mainly because I really don't know anything about them other than my own personal experience. So, enlighten me fanbois!

2. johnson

johnson New Member

hibidi, stay out

3. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Its so familiar....lol.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

comes down to:
    reliability
    cost
    ease of use
    availability

5. I agree that they are ugly. I like my G29 because it looks more proportionally correct than something like a G17. As far as why I like them, they are simple, as reliable as anything you can buy, priced well, easy to work on, rugged as hell, and lightweight.

6. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I love my G19.

1. It is comfortable for ME to shoot
    2. I shoot it with good accuracy (by my standards, not nearly as good as some of the sharp shooters on here can surely do)
    3. It has a reputation for being tops on reliability (never had an issue w/ mine that would cause me to think otherwise)
    4. It was reasonably affordable
    5. It is easy to strip & maintain
    6. When I pull the trigger, it will go boom. There aren't any safeties for me to forget to turn off when I really need it.
    7. It isn't THAT ugly in MY opinion (maybe I have low standards??)

7. Origyns973

Origyns973 New Member

I think firearm choices are merely a preference, due to the reliability and affordability Glocks tend to be a 'no-brainer' in terms of a firearm that will work when it needs to regardless of the surrounding conditions. Some firearms have specific profound qualities and lack in other qualities, however Glocks seem to be adequate in all categories; ease of use, reliability, affordability, etc. However then again this debate will never end, since choice is unique to each individual and everyone thinks differently.

8. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot New Member

I cannot get over the ugly and the grip position, I know they are reliable, solid weapons for less $$$ but I am not feeling it.

9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My G17 is great. Glocks have every part in the world available for them, plus you can get beat on them relentlessly and they will still function. Comfort/ergonomics is subjective.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm toting around my 1911 currently.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I love my walther p99's, I shoot them well and they work for me. As far as a range toy though I find myself wanting to spend some time with glocks because I can find any holster I want for a glock, I can find people to do all sorts of trigger work for a glock, I can get cheap mags for a glock, I can find people to do all sorts of fun mods to a glock, etc. With my walther...I'm kind of stuck with what I have.

12. Hibidi-Shibidi

13. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I think they feel like shit in my hands.

So I dont own any or care to own any.

14. sprite

sprite Active Member

The biggest factor for me is realibility, and along those same lines the simplicity of the design from both an operational and mechanical point of view. It helps that they are decently priced, are easy to work on, and easy to get parts for. They have been around forever and most of the bugs are worked out. Remember when Sigs polymer line was supposed to be the Glock killer? Remember when the XD was supposed to the Glock killer? Now the M&P is the hot shit but I bet in a few years when the next big player releases a new polymer design the standard it will judged against will be the Glock, not the M&P or the XD or a SigPro.

To me the ergonomics are a non issue. Unless your hands are rediculously small, rediculously large, or deformed all of the issues related to ergonomics can be addressed by training and practice. Doesn't "point naturally"? Practice enough and it will. Doesn't "feel right"? Practice enough and it will. Have to shift your grip to get the to mag catch? Practice enough and it won't slow you down.

If you're just getting a plinker or "range gun" then get whatever feels good or looks good or smells pretty. But if you're buying a gun for defense or competition or that you otherwise expect to "perform" then ugly or blocky should not be disqualifying attributes.

15. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

I bought one simply for the reliability and I wanted to get a high cap pistol before they were banned. I bought a G17 (3rd gen) with less than 100 rounds through it for $375, ran 200 rounds through it try it out and stuffed it into my BOB and haven't looked at it since.

:dunno:

I daily carry a M&P 9c and love it.

16. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

reliability

17. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I was a glock hater for SO long, until I bought my first.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

they work

19. Hibidi-Shibidi

I found a gun that performs as reliably as the glock, has better features than a glock (ambidextrous mag release to start), "feels right" out of the box, "points naturally" out of the box, and disassembles as easily as glock.

With all of those things AND practice, I feel like I have a winner. If I came into the gun with good shooting habits like form etc., why should I have to conform to a gun?

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

They are presently the benchmark for handgun reliability.

Bonus points for the facts that they are reasonably priced, widely distributed, simply designed, and easy to maintain.

+1 on sprite's comments,
    As far as your comfort, you will find some guns fit your hand more naturally, and when you are just getting the hang of things, this is a good consideration to take into account. But as you progress your martial skill, you'll find that a gun is a gun. They may feel subtly different, but are all fundamentally operated the same.

Much the same way your wang felt funny the first few times you wrapped your 11yo hand around it, you can develop comfort with any gun.

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It's natural pointing for Gaston, and since we were all made in His image, you'll find it's natural pointing for you too.

Or else. :squint:

22. Hibidi-Shibidi

You're "naturally pointing" wrong.

23. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

reach out with your shooting hand ... arm 90* to your body ... thumb on top ... and point with your index finger ...

that is the grip angle of the Glock.

some hate it, some love it ... there is rarely in between. it fits my hands, it is cost efficient, it is reliable, it is rugged.

its not a target gun, its not a high quality plinker than will split a penny at 50 yards ... its a down and dirty, utilitarian, simple weapon.

it leaves a lot to be desired for some people ... its everything i want and need in a weapon.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm really hoping s&w can step up their bids on LE contracts, I think their ability to undercut everyone else is one of the main reasons they are so popular too. If they get made someone's bitch in sales for a while they might finally come around with some grip modernization.

25. johnson

johnson New Member

That's why you buy one before the bandwagon starts. :bigthumb: