Just a few questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yosh, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Yosh

Yosh New Member

I've just started to get into computers and I wanted to ask a few questions that I've been trying to get answered...

-If you get more memory on your computer, does it run faster?
    -Does a soundcard really improve the sound quality on your computer?
    -If I have a low amount of memory in my computer (28gb or something) Should I get more added internally? Or should I get an external 200gb hard drive?
    -What does RAM do exactly?

I know a lot of these questions are newbish, but I haven't found many places on the internet to learn computer basics.

Thanks for the input!:bowdown:

2. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

1.yes it does
    2.not so much, unless you want like a dolby digital type setup
    3.i assume u mean hardrive space, and as long as you dont fill it completely it wont have an impact on system performance...
    4.RAM is memory..(random access memory) and it dictates how much data you can work with at one time

3. Yosh

Yosh New Member

Is 1 Gig of RAM usually a safe bet? My computer's pretty old (2000 I think) And I like to play games on it, how much would it cost me to add another 512mbs of RAM?

4. somebodyelse

somebodyelse OT Supporter

I would never run anything less than a gig anymore.

Also, don't bother with a sound card unless you really push it to the limits. I have 5.1 surround system on my computer (Logitech Z-5500) and record music, so the Audigy X-Fi was a nice addition. Plus it takes some of the processing load off your main CPU when playing music.. slight performance boost :)

And yeah, as long as you dont' completely fill your hard drive, you should be ok.

5. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

If all he does is surf the web, use e-mail, and listen to music or watch movies, then half a gig (512MB) is more than plenty, even if he were doing all this at the same time!

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

512MB of ram will probably run you $40-50 shipped from newegg.com.

7. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

1. Most likely, the amount depends on what you're doing, how much you added and what you had before and how fast the ram is etc etc.

2. Yes if it's a good sound card and you have good speakers or headphones. Generally unless you are really picky about your music or seriously into games it's unneeded.

3. You seem to be getting confused with memory (RAM) and your Hard Drive memory (storage/disk space). External HDDs are unneeded unless you want to move the data around, you can get another normal (internal) HDD (say 200gb) and you'll be right.

4. You don't really need to know what RAM does as it's a little beyond newbie level. Basically when you run a program it goes into memory (RAM) which is fast. Your HDD is comparitively slow. So the more RAM you have the faster programs that use lots of memory can run as they don't need to keep transferring things from your slow HDD.

Secondly RAM is volatile storage (meaning stuff gets wiped off it when you restart), whereas your HDD isn't and your files stay there when you restart/turn power off.

You don't really need to know much more than that.

8. Yosh

Yosh New Member

Thanks for the input, I've decided to get 512mb more of RAM and I think I might leave it at that

9. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I wouldn't run anything less than 512. If you have 256 and XP, anything is an improvement. If you have 512 and all you do is internet or MS Word you may never see a difference such as you would if you were dealing with graphics. If you want good sound, get a good sound card and speakers. Memory is virtual, hard drive space isn't. Disk space is very often confused with memory. If you have a 40GB hard drive and only use 20 or 30 of it, getting a larger drive isn't going to net you a speed increase unless the drive is faster. The size alone won't.

10. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Just make sure it is the same kind of ram otherwise it may not work well together.