SRS July 11th = 1 year sober.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Two toys, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Two toys

Two toys New Member

july 11th was the day I decided to give up alcohol, but technically july 4th/5th was the last time I drank.

Just trying to figure out something to do to celebrate, any ideas? being a poor college student I cant afford much.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Congrats on 1 year!!

To celebrate...hmm...anything but drinking. :)

I actually treat myself to a good meal (something I haven't had in awhile or something I can't really afford...like steaks or w/e). Then I hit a meeting, get a chip then go for coffee and/or a movie afterwards. IMO one of the best things about birthdays is just enjoying being around other drunks in recovery and sharing your experiencs. I love birthdays.

3. Two toys

Two toys New Member

oh, I never went to any meetings or anything. It was just a concious decision to quit drinking because when I did drink I didnt know how to stop, yet I only drank maybe twice a month. I just saw that if I continued on the path I was taking I would turn into an alcoholic so I jumped ship.

and thank you :)

I mite go out for some sushi. not sure though, I'd really like to do something more extreme haha.

4. Coottie

wow...I never was able to make it beyond the 4 month mark on my own. I was just too miserable.

Congrats on making it a year on your own. I wish I would have been able to do that and remaind happy....i just couldn't.

5. Two toys

Two toys New Member

It would have been nice to have some support, but I'm pretty strong willed, and I didnt let my addiction get far enough to the point where i couldnt turn down a drink. I go out to bars all the time with my schoolmates and I'll have an iced tea or lemonade, I just wish they treated me a little bit more as an equal. I'd like to meet more people who dont drink, but I never really thought I'd have much to say at a meeting.

6. Coottie

One of the great things about AA is the fellowship. It's just soo much fun to be a part of. I mean we do all the stuff normal people do, we just do it without alcohol.

Unfortunatly, I too have friends that like to club and drink a lot. My experience has been taht many ppl are threatned by non-drinkers. Perhaps they think they drink too much or w/e...I dunno.

I actually don't like bars anymore. I mean, they are ok like maybe once or twice a year...but in all honesty, I'd much prefer to go anywhere besides a bar.

7. mrscruffles

mrscruffles New Member

congrats on a year july 13th ill be half way there 6 months it blows my mind and i love it. go treat your self to a big steak and go sky diving!

8. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

9. buninader

buninader SMILE!!! I just got ******!!!

right on, july 2nd will be my year

10. Birdhouse in ur Soul

Birdhouse in ur Soul omg a girl! Pam>Karen and The Office Crew #8

:hug: Congrats- definitely do something for yourself. Its a hard road- My father has been sober for 10 years on July 7th!

11. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Congrats!

12. VinylButterfly

VinylButterfly In Utero

congratulations! I think thats great! I know what its like to fight an addiction, I wasnt addicted to alcohol though. Good for you and keep up the great work mate:bigthumb:

Also Im curious...when cootie said^^^ up there they get a chip. What exactly do those AA chips entitle you to? Just wondering is all

13. 20KHorses

20KHorses New Member

Good job!

14. Metal

Metal Active Member

AA Chips are Sobriety Coins... when you first start AA you might receive a 24 Hour chip for 24 Hours Sober... then you may receive a 1 Month Chip, 2 Months, and so on. My group only does the first 24 hour chip, then a 90 Day Chip, then 180 Day Chip, then 1 Year Chip, and each year following they will give you a chip every year - it depends on your home group, and if you have a certain amount of time that you'd like a Chip for - ask one of the people that run your local Chapter most often - as I wanted a 2 month Chip with Bill W. & Dr. Bob on it awhile back and they ordered it for me. :) A chip does not entitle you to anything nor does it make you invincible from alcoholism as some see it. All you can do with the chip, once received; is to look at it for your own sobriety reasons and see how long you made it when you first got that chip and hope to double that amount of time during this length of your sobriety. It is also a conversation piece in AA Meetings if someone asks how long you've been sober, you can show them your Coin which states days/months/years and then people talk about it. There are other chips with different pictures/sayings on them that are often passed around for when someone does a '12 Step Call' or Volunteers a certain amount of time to the program, helping out, doing this and that.. As I said all groups are different but this seems to be the way that my home group handles chips. We give a 24 hour Chip when you are sober for 24 hours in a row; then you follow the 24 hour chip - on the back many say the Serenity Prayer or 'Think Before Your Drink --Now is the Time to Call Your Sponsor' or 'There are no Strangers Here - Keep Coming Back' I've seen on welcoming chips and 24 hour chips as I have been given a few. There are also generic chips with just typical AA sayings, some have the AA Promises, the 12 Steps, the Preamble, the Serenity Prayer, and many other messages like 'Think Before You Drink -- Now is the time to call your sponsor' or MY Favorite chip is Bill W. & Dr. Bob on the front, it says 24 Hours, and on the back it says; Rarely have we seen a person fail that has thoroughly followed our path.." - a famous Big Book Quote. :) Don't expect a chip to entitle anything except to entitle you to a reminder of how long you've been sober and other chips to carry around when you need that extra boost of strength and the chip tells you how to get through that moment or that day. I hope everything is going well for you and I hope my description of chips is accurate but I am only going by my own Chapters guidelines for presenting members with chips - other AA Chapters may do it by different methods as there are thousands and thousands of different chips out there that can be customized to fit YOU! Good Luck on the Recovery Highway and Keep in Touch!

Also Congrats to the OP on 1 year sober Jully 11th, as well as everyone else that has posted their times in this thread!! Great job, keep coming, it works if you work it, it's worth it!

God Bless You,
    Craig
    (Metal)

EDIT - PS.. Here is a Picture of some of my Coins that have been Given to me and on the reverse sides they have the amount of time they were for.. and some weren't even for any time, just 12 Step Calls, etc.. I know it's a bad picture but I'll tell you what they all mean. Also wrapped around the outside of the coins is the chain to my AA Necklace which the pendant for is in the Middle of the Bottom two Coins in the picture. :wavey:

[​IMG]

Top Coin: THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK ~ THE TIME TO CALL YOUR SPONSOR IS BEFORE NOT AFTER. Left Coin, Middle Row: The Twelve Steps Listed Out, Middle Coin "THE TASKS OF THE DAY CAN PASS WITH EASE WHEN A CAMEL OR I START ON OUR KNEES. ONE MASTER WE SERVE, THE CAMEL AND I, AND STAY FOR THAT DAY COMPLETELY DRY." Mid-Right Coin says "One Day at a Time" reverse side of it has the Serenity prayer. Bottom Left is a Welcome Chip, it says "THERE ARE NO STRANGERS HERE -- ONLY FRIENDS WE HAVEN'T MET" with a 24 Hour logo on the reverse side that says Welcome next to a coffee pot. All of these coins that I have mentioned have my different sobriety dates on the opposite sides as well but I do not wish to share that yet; as I am somewhat early in Sobriety and I need to be humble about the amount of sober time I actually have. My home group knows how much time I have as well as my family and close friends in the AA Fellowship; once I am comfortable sharing this on R2R I will. In the picture, the: Middle, bottom, chain/necklace - I wear this chain/necklace everyday when I go about my regular days, going to meetings, shopping, class work, family functions, etc.. The meaning of the triangle symbol is "Unity, Recovery, Service" and this symbol is known world wide by people in the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. I've already had a few people comment on how much they like it, even outside of AA meetings because they know what that Symbol inside the circle means! If anyone wishes to order one of these chains or needs to know how to get Coins for their group, please let me know, I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  15. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

The practice traces its roots to Sister Mary Ignatia who, with Dr. Bob, set up wards for alcoholics in Akron and Cleveland. There she saw each patient before leaving and gave each a Sacred Heart badge. She instructed them that it signified a commitment to God and to recovery, and that if they were going to drink, they first had to return the medallion to her.

More on Sister Ignatia:
    http://www.barefootsworld.net/aasisterignatia.html