MMA Judo Competition - Steveston Judo Invitational

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by itr452, Feb 25, 2007.

1. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

***Cliff notes at the bottom***

Hi guys, I just competed in the Steveston Judo Invitational tournament today. Leading up to this tournament, I had been training very hard for it and knew that the competition would be tough, and that I would have to work hard for my victories. It's the biggest/most important tournament in Western Canada and there was going to be some tough TOUGH! competition. I was one of the first to fight, as I entered in that division with another clubmate of mine. We competed in the Novice Mens category and we thought that it would be the same weight class as previous tournaments, last tournament (Burnaby) the upper limit of our weight class was 78 kg. Both myself and Daymond Wong thought that it would be ideal to watch our diet. When we arrived at the venue (9:15), we were surprised to find out that we weighed 72 kg's (apparently we lost too much weight :o ) and thought we would be good to go.......... sure we were good to go, but I found out that we were fighting in an UNDER 80 KG category, meaning that our opponents could have weighed a good 15 pounds more than us. ZING!

I had to perform well because I had very personal reasons for performing well, and not to mention I had told a few friends of mine to come watch me, as it would boost my spirits and also my coach was there to watch me perform.

Prior to this tournament, I was fairly confident with my abilities and my training, but when i got onto the mats after i got changed into my white gi (no more blue gi wardrobe malfunctions, kthx) I felt absolutely nervous, i mean nervous to the point where I felt like i was going to throw up. I was dry heaving for a couple minutes until Ed my Doulik Brotha told me to loosen up, and he threw me a couple of inappropriate jokes just to ease my nerves, it was well needed.

I vaguely remember being told by my instructor (Frank Nakashima) that there was going to be a Japanese contingent there from the various universities in Japan. I saw them warming up on the warmup mats and goddamn, were they in insanely good shape (plus their ochikomi looked absolutely brilliant). I knew i wasn't going to be fighting these guys but man, they were an intimidating bunch, busted noses/cauliflower ears & all.

All the competitors were required to meet up on the mats for the official bow in, which in my opinion was a very nice gesture from the athletes to the officials and the tournament planners. Nice & classy touch there. At that point I was still very nervous, albeit not as nervous as I was after i initially changed into my gi. *shiver* just thinking about that gets me back to that state of mind. I don't know wtf i was doing, but can honestly say that i wasn't feeling confident and perhaps I was was unintentionally making excuses for myself as to why i'd lose. I just wasn't feeling it, I was not in the right frame of mind. I hate it when people make excuses for themselves before losing, so I just kept my mouth shut and didn't really say much to anybody. Anyway, they called Division 151 to mat #4 in a Round Robin format (as opposed to the double elemination knockout i had become accustomed with). 5 contestants, 2 from Nakashima Dojo and 3 from other dojos respectively. 5 only.......... goddamn it, I wanted more fights!!!

Daymond was the first to fight, he fought against a taller fellow from the island (i think?) and unfortunately the fight ended quickly as daymond was taken to the ground immediately and pinned down in osaikomi in kesa gatame for 25 seconds. It was a helpless feeling i had watching him fighting for dear life. I felt especially crappy because he had been my training partner, and watching him lose was like watching my brother lose. For all the time and effort he put in at the dojo, he should have faired better, but i guess that's how life is sometimes.

Match #1:

It was very unnerving fighting against this opponent. He was the opponent I lost 1st place to in the Burnaby competition, and i was psyching myself out just thinking about how i got uchimata'ed and smashed my face during my lost against him in the Burnaby tournament. He was physically stronger than me back then and when i reached out to grip, he felt even stronger this time. I can confidently say that at that point, i was about ready to conceed defeat, he was physically stronger and imposing his game on me. I was scared and I felt that my grip on his gi was very weak. I tried a couple of leg picks, and defended an onslaught of osoto, ouchi gari, and uchimata attempts, and for all my troubles was awarded a shido (penalty) for my efforts. I was not feeling very good, my coach had been telling me to open up stiff opponents with some ashiwaza, and after we resumed the match I had started to look for some footsweeps in hopes that i'd perhaps score a yuko or a koka. I was still fighting quite defensively and i was looking for opportunities to counter-attack. When my opponent came in for a osoto, i moved my right leg ever so slightly that he bailed at the last second, at that point, i went for a de-ashi barai (with left foot) and swept him down for a clean ippon. I won that bloody match! holy smokes, my nemesis and the opponent that I had most trouble lost his concentration and for that brief moment, i attempted and succeeded with something that I had been working on in the dojo extensively. IPPON (2.5 minutes)

At this point I was feeling less nervous and felt that my toughest match of the day was already over, it was; and it wasn't. The other opponent i feared most was (as stupid and cheesy as this sounds) myself. I had desperately been wanting to win this tournament for personal reasons (i'll leave it at that) and I was scared that i'd make stupid mistakes and lose my match stupidly.

Match 2:

Prior to fighting against this opponent, he was required by the referees to change into a white gi (he was wearing blue) and so i was there standing in my corner for 2 minutes waiting for him to come out in a white gi. Let me tell ya, these 2 minutes were going by so bloodly slowly, as it let me stew in my nervous juices. This match was against an opponent i had never seen before, he was much taller than I was and instinct kicked in, before we got a firm grip on each other i had shot in for a double leg takedown (morote gari) but I ran out of space on the mats (DOH!) and carried him out of bounds.......... the judges were not impressed by my antics to say the least. Shortly after that little spectacle, I knew i had to pull something off against my opponent, otherwise the referees would have awarded me a shido with haste. For some reason after that, I opened up my opponent with some foot sweeps and then as he came forward to attack me, i turned around and pulled off one of the nicest seoi nage's i've ever pulled off on anyone. Morote Seoi Nage, IPPON. (2.5 minutes)

After this match, I was feeling quite confident, I was not aware of how the round robin format worked, i was thinking about semi finals and then finals for some reason, i thought that i had a few more matches to go. I thought that i had 4 more fights to go if i wanted the gold. (little did i know that i had only 2 more matches to go) I saw the opponent from Burnaby dojo take down my teammate and take down another opponent, so I thought i'd have to face him again and played possible scenarios through my head. stupid me, i had to fight everybody in the division once and the winner would be decided by whoever won the most matches :o

Match 3:

I had to fight against Daymond, we both stated that we wanted a good fight with no BS, as it would have been unfair to both ourselves and our opponents if we sandbagged the match. I fought Daymond hard and he had made some sloppy footsweeps, so when i saw an opportunity, i went for a double leg (Morote gari) and landed him straight on his back, IPPON (1 minute)

At this point i was psychologically sound, my nerves were calm and i just wanted to fight more, just so i can get it over with. My other opponents were completely drained for some reason and I felt relatively fresh. I did not want to talk to anybody at that point because i was in the zone and did not want to talk to anybody really, i just wanted to keep fighting. My crew was out cheering for me and i heard it and i had to put on a good show for the audience. It was weird because during my fights i did not see, nor did i hear them at all, i tuned them out completely and was in a heightened state of concentration. It was very strange and I didn't think I had it in me, but hey; i learned something new about myself today.

Match 4:

I fought against the same blind gentleman that I fought during my last tournament in Burnaby (I landed a morote seoi nage against him last time) This time I watched his previous matches and noticed that he would try to take his opponents to the ground and try to gain victory via a pin, so I was ready to sprawl against his shot. It was very strange to fight against him because there were things that i would not allow myself to do just to get a win. I could have very easily been a massive schmuck and went in for a double leg takedown and smashed him, but that would be pretty stupid and make me a villain amongst the judo gods. Bleh anyway, we bowed in and it started with both of us getting a solid grip on each other. I was told that if we broke grip, that the match would be broken up and we would have to establish a grip again. We started off with a grip and i had tried to go for a Morote Seoi Nage again, but he was WAY too low, i could not get him down without doing a drop seoi nage where I could have planted his face and seriously destroyed his neck....... uhm..... no thanks, it's a sport, i'm not out for blood. Anyway, on with the fight, he tried to take me down, i stuffed his attempt and looked for chokes.............. bloody hell, in this division, there was no chokes allowed, nor were armbars......... oh nuts! we stood back up, re-established a grip and then I took him down with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi (http://www.budopoint.de/Judo/NageNoKata/SasaeTsurikomiAshi.gif) and was awarded a wazari (half point), then I proceeded to go in for a Kesa gatame, 20 seconds later. IPPON (3 minutes).

As I walked by my coach, I still wanted to be in the zone, i didn't say anything to him, then he pulled out his hand and wanted to shake my hand. I had the most confused look on my face and i was like..... "i just wanna relax a bit Frank" then Frank just informed me that I had won the division. It was really sorta shocking to me, I didn't know i won, I just sorta broke down there and ran over to my crew. They all congratulated me and I thanked them and let them know that the gold medal was theirs too, as they were the ones that supported me. Sure it was a regional tournament and i fought in the novice division, but boy was that moment sweet.

When I went to collect my medal, i was elated, and felt relaxed. I did it, i won my first competition, it was a sweet feeling and I cannot wait to continue to compete. Win or lose, I learned a lot about myself this day and i'm very proud of not only myself, but my teammates, my friends, and family.

Anyway, this tournament was VERY well run, and the officiating was excellent as well. A big thanks to Steveston dojo for puting this event on. Viva Judo

Cliff notes

match 1: Victory via: de-ashi barai - IPPON
    match 2: Victory via: morote seoi nage - IPPON
    match 3: Victory via: morote gari (double leg takedown) - IPPON
    match 4: Victory via: kesa gatame ( Scarf Hold Down) - IPPON

2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

fucking rights !!! i wish i came now... man good job bro, thats awesome, congrats!!!!
    you can tell me bout personal reasons in person you asshat.:bigok:

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

good job itr, all 4 matches by ippon... wow that is clear domination. Winning your division is a big deal no matter what. Looks like it's time for you to move up in skill level :)

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

congratulations, gets me pumped for the tournament we're hosting this weekend. :bigthumb:

5. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

nice :bigthumb:

6. itr452

werd, thanks brothas! it was fucking tough as hell.
    I do think it's time that i move up, cuz goddamn it, it's pretty shitty cuz in that division, i cannot armbar/choke people's asses out.

My newaza = my strong suit so the next time in competition, i'll be competing as an orange belt, so i can start choking people out. Good thing my bjj trainer is gonna be helping me with my ground game.

I heart BJJ and heart Judo. Nuthuggery for either judo or bjj = dogshit.

I'm gonna post pictures of me throwing the yellow belt guy with my seoi nage, it was technically excellent, but the pictures make it look WAY more badass than it actually was.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Kuet: come out to judo tm, u dweeb.
    Brolli: thanks for the kind words, how's your judo training coming along? hope it's helping ya out as much as my bjj training's helping me out.

Kronik: FOCUS > brute force
    Mktk: i trained my ass off for this competition, so BOOYAH :big grin: !!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  7. itr452

Here's the series of pictars from my Seoi Nage against my 2nd opponent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  8. Kuet

Kuet New Member

yes!!! those pics are awesome~~!! - But hey cars, your opponent looks pretty young eh ? :mamoru: