MMA Judo a decent substitute for BJJ?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Katsumoto, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Well I finally managed to find a BJJ class in my area, I went and checked it out and seemed fairly decent. Real small class, taught by a blue belt. Is it normal for "lower" ranking guys to teach in this discipline? I'm used to only brown/black belts teaching. Anyways he seemed to know what he was talking about, but I guess he's getting ready to stop classes for the whole summer, so I can probably only get a few in.

I want to learn some grappling, and I found a some judo classes around. Is it a pretty good alternative? I'm more interested in rolling/submissions than throws.

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

judo will def. focus mostly on the throwing aspect usually but I'd say go check it out to see.

it's not uncommon for a good blue belt to start teaching if there is no other bjj around. higher ranks will come out periodically to rank people up.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

If you're more interested in rolling/submissions, keep looking for a jiu jitsu or (if not focused on gi work... or worst case) a submission grappling school.

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Me and my 2 blue belts friends started and taught our college club. They regularly bring home medals in tournys too.

Judo won't teach you anything more than very very very basic grapling in the lower ranks and won't ever focus on it.

If you want to learn to grapple you need to find a good bjj school.

5. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Hmm, that sucks. The only other classes are an hour drive away. My karate instructor of over 10 years has a good wrestling background, so I'm sure I could work some on the ground with him, but I'd like some more BJJ specific stuff. I guess I'll learn what I can before this guy shuts down for the summer, and then just get back in it later.

And yeah his flyer says his instructor from Gracie Barra would come out to teach occasionaly. As long as he could start me on the basics then I'm good with it anyhow. The last "jiu jitsu guy" I checked out here years ago, had absolutely no idea what he was doing. He was unable to perform techniques on me as a willing partner.

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

he

I don't know what the hell your talking about. Every judo school I have gone to has stressed the importance of ground fighting. The most annoying thing I hear from the bjj guys are yeah they have throws but they suck on the ground. Dont lump up all school because of some of the ones in your area. I haven't met any one who can maintain position as good as some of the judo guys because they work pins a alot. All the guard sweeps arm bars triangles and submitions I have ever seen in bjj I learned before in judo.

They will teach you everything you need to know from a grappeling stand point whether or not you want to work on it or not is on you.

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

the most i learned in classes were from actually rolling with blue belts after the lessons were taught by the black belts...

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Then again, maybe check out the Judo school. I always wished I learned Judo. :hs:

9. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

It's a good addition to a bjj game, not to mention 75+% of the chokes in bjj come from judo.