SRS Judgmental family (anti-gun family & I run a gun-related biz)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I run a small business selling firearms accessories in addition to holding a normal job during the day. I'm the only person in my family who's ever even handled a firearm. My family looks down on serving in any branch of the armed forces and believes all things related to guns are bad. My grandfather believes my legitimate business will morph into slinging drugs because in his mind, the patrons of both are one and the same. I am judged routinely through glares and other passive-aggressive gestures. It's gotten to the point where I am tired of trying to explain that my business is no different than any other retail e-business but they can't see beyond the link to the firearms.

Sadly, there are a few neutral parties (mostly my dad and sister) that are getting flak for failing to throw stones. While my sister has told me that she personally fears guns, she's happy that I've found something that helps pay the bills and allows me to channel my passion. My father is an officer of a Fortune 100 company with decades of work experience and looks past the subject matter and has an appreciation for the entrepreneurial spirit I am embracing. I send him lengthy emails updating him on the status of the business and he usually poses a couple questions to make me think and help guide me.

He just recently got yelled at by my mother for not taking her side in damning my business. He provides 0 financial support even though I have offered him a significant return on his investment...just tidbits of advice here and there.

I suppose to top things off, my mother and I are at odds over a number of things. She's grown to be much more vocal in her judgments (the entire family agrees on this) and to her, I fall short. I'm fat (I'm overweight, not fat), failed at raising my dogs (even though everyone who comes across them think they're the most wonderful pups), and I'm marrying someone she doesn't approve of (nevermind that she makes me happy and wants me to pursue my business since it makes me happy). This is in addition to me pursuing what she considers to be an immoral business. We haven't spoken in a couple months and I'm not sending a Mother's Day card this year (a first since I left for college).

I'm about ready to file papers and legally separate from my family...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. 7960

7960 New Member

cliffs: it's time to start giving the boot to some people in your life.

how old are you? what's with filing papers to legally separate?? just pack your shit and leave.

3. Schadenfreude1

Schadenfreude1 New Member

Unless they want to supplement your income as much as youe e-business does, they need to STFU. You're not selling meth.

4. 9c1 driver

9c1 driver New Member

You can't allow them to continue you to treat you like that, I say stand up to them before giving them the boot, if they back off and leave that topic alone and start showing you some respect...great! If not ,they made there choice not you for them, you owe nobody a explanation for your decisions unless you ask there advice

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

If you don't mind me asking what nationality are you?

and yeah whats with the filing papers you're of age now just move the fuck out

6. THT

27. I've heard of people legally leaving their families and having 0 legal association with them. Disowning, if you will.
    Asian.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:rofl: I was going to guess that

Your mom is just old school man, at least you still have your dad and he understands I wouldn't cut communication with your entire family

8. 7960

7960 New Member

you don't need papers to do that.

one day you just say "fuck it, I'm out" and you leave. then you change your will/medical proxy papers to someone else and you're done.

9. THT

Well, after a few days, I've decided I'm pissed. At this point, I'm striking them from my wedding invitation list and adopting a "fuck off" position.