josh's tiger crane ninja training log

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Titus, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

so I'm gonna jump on board with this whole log thing and try to update as much as I can remember. I've started to take my bjj a lot more serious and in the coming months will have more free time than I've had to train which is awesome. I've been keeping track of the technique we've learned in practice and will continue to do so.

I've realized I don't work my guard/half guard enough and need to focus on it MUCH more than I currently do. I usually rely on my takedowns and keeping control up top but I've realized I won't grow in bjj if I continue to do so. From now on I will focus on my guard/half guard more than anything because I feel it's the weakest part of my game. Let the journey begin!

2. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I wish my top game was the strong part of my game. :o

I guess constantly rolling with people much more experienced (not to mention larger) than I am has caused me to focus so much on my bottom game.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

work on your wrestling? thats the only reason i have a decent top game, i can pretty much always get the takedown and it's hard for people to take me down since i've wrestled for a long long time. but it's hurt me because i never work from my back, guess it's about finding that balance.

4. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I don't have any wrestling. :o

We just got a judo black belt, though. Hoping to pick up a lot from him.

5. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

when i first started i always ended up on top and was almost never on the bottom. I didn't have a wrestling background like you but i had a good natrual base. I ended up only rolling on bottom, always starting in either guard or on the bottom of side mount and just working from there, helped alot. Everytime i would sweep somebody i'd just tell em to get back on top of me. Worked their top game and worked my bottom game

6. Titus

Titus New Member

you'll learn so much. my head wrestling coach in highschool was a judo blackbelt and multi time state champ, he taught me so much. you'll a ton from him!

yea, that's pretty much my plan for the next few months. i finally have the time to get into the gym 4 days a week every week, so i know with a solid plan my game will develop a lot more.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

update: since my class schedule is more relaxed during the summer i've had the time to train pretty hard lately. 4 days a week i've been training wrestling/sub wrestling with some old friends from hs. two were 3 time state champs in highschool wrestling and multi time national greco roman champs when they were younger and they both wrestle d1 now. the rest of us were state placers back in hs, and everyone's traing bjj for a couple years now. i guess we've got our own little club going on and we're all learning a lot and able to add a lot to each others game. i've improved so much the past month its crazy.

8. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

how big are you? i remember seeing a pic and you looked prety muscular, if you are ever in the jax area we should roll. also sounds like you guys got a nice little camp going, d1 wrestling + bjj = my nightmare

9. Titus

Titus New Member

right now im 174, i was about 190 in jan but i decided to cut down and get in wrestling shape again. i'm the same size and and stronger now, just at a much lower bodyfat. i come up to jax a couple times a year to visit friends, i'd def be down to roll. yea we got a nice little camp goin on, it's pretty fun. i'm just glad my old hs lets us use the wrestling room whenever we want.