MMA Josh Barnett on MMA Weekly Radio

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Took place last night, Sept 27, 2006. Here is a summary of some of the things he said...

The bell saved Nog from either a submission or a broken leg.

He wants to rematch Nog. Feels he didn't do his job by not finishing the fight before a decision.

Finger in the eye. He tried to take a chance from the ground and grab at Cro Cop's leg. That's when he thought Cro Cop either tried to post or tried to strike from the top and got a finger in his eye. His vision went black and he was still getting hit, and he didn't think the ref was stopping it soon so he tapped.

He won't go out of his way to rematch Mirko unless it's for the title, or on the way to the title (like a tournament). Holds no ill will towards Mirko. He was upset about his loss and feels it will really carry over to his Vegas fight, and will take it out on Nastula. He also expects to fight on NYE.

Wants to fight Fedor. Obviously because it is for the title, but it is similar to Nog in that Fedor is a fight he wants for himself also. He knows Mirko is up first to fight him, but later he wants his shot. "Just another thing to do on the to-do list".

He thinks the US Pride rules suck. Especially because he can't wear shoes. Three 5 minute rounds is fine, if anything it's easier. He would rather fight under original Pride rules. He's not a fan of the 10 point must system, and feels like the Pride judging is better and promotes finishing a fight rather than going up on round and riding out a decision. "The 10 point must system sucks".

Tim Sylvia said he would like to fight Josh Barnett. Barnett said that it would be a mistake, and Sylvia hasn't fought anyone who could really take him down. Arlovski didn't try to take him down. "I can see why he wants that fight, but he's not going to win it".

He said that Heavyweights in Pride are obviously better, multi faceted fighters. He used Aleksander E. as an example of a great striker who once on the ground is also skilled. He compared the UFC Heavyweights to a kickboxing match with little gloves. Even the submission guys want to stand up and strike in the Octagon.

Yeah, I'm a Barnett fan and took notes on the interview, lol.

2. DKKD

DKKD New Member

cool thanks for the recap

:ugh: at tim silvia

3. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

more bad news about pride usa, it will have the 10 point judging system :wtc:

4. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

:rofl: at UFC comment

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I sort of agree with what they said on the show. The only fighter I can think of the rules changes really effecting is Shogun. It might be bad news for him against Randleman.

6. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

All I want to see happen in the next 12 months is Sylvia get his head freaking smashed in :bash: :rl: by any of the Pride Heavyweights. there is no question he would get destroyed and he angers me by him never giving respect to the Pride Heavyweights while he walks around with his UFC belt. Guy has no respect for anyone other then his gym it seems.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Well, on Sylvias behalf, he doesn't get much respect. He's the champ, and he almost wasn't listed on the top billing for Ken v Tito when he beat Arlovski again.

8. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Nice......I think it would be sweet to see a live Pride fight in Japan.......I had the opportunity to meet the baby faced assasin in las vegas when he was in one of his first UFC fights.....Nice guy......

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yeah I think the only problem with the Pride in US rules will be the judging, no 4 point attacks sucks but they usually only happen when the fight is about over, shoes who cares, but no 10 first rd sucks becasue that is what usually sets apart guys also gives coleman a little bit of hope.

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It makes a difference to a guy who is a wrestler, and probably trains every day in wrestling shoes. Disrupting your training style is an annoyance that could affect the fight. Not saying he's going to lose because he isn't wearing shoes, but he cared enough to mention it in the interview.

11. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

All I can tell you is this... You, me, or anyone else for that matter create our own respect. If people don't respect you it is only because of you, obviously you have a major flaw you choose to not notice and go on thinking the world owes you something and everyone is against you. I don't feel one bit bad for Tim.

12. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yeah i understand that but when it all comes down to it he is not gonna lose by a flying pinky toe lock or something.

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

:bowdown: to barnett

the more i read about him, and the more interviews/rants i hear from him, the more i like him

goofy character, but it's a character for hte most part. his fights are always fun to watch too

14. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I really like Barnett, he seems very genuine and he's usually pretty funny in most interviews. As far as I'm concerned, he finished Nog, that leg bar was TIGHT.

I hope the UFC sets up a match with a PRIDE HW for Sylvia, because it'll shut him up. Tim should take a note from the other champs and keep his trash talking more subdued, because he isn't making any friends the way it is.

15. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i honestly think that Sylvia isn't trash talking because he thinks that he actually is the best in the world. pitting him against a PRIDE heavyweight would be a bad idea for UFC. wandy vs. liddell is a better matchup because chuck has a good chance still and is destined to be a classic fight