WEB Joomla Template Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jizzmo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

Do you guys know of an easy Joomla template to edit for a beginner? So i can edit the floats and redesign it as my own? SO i guess i am asking for the least complex template you know of.

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

i don't think anyone uses joomla here, i know kingtoad recommends drupal over joomla and including myself a few of us uses wordpress

3. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

Yea, i am working with drupal too, but joomla seems a bit easier to manager for a normal user. (making a website for friend that wants to edit their own content and administer it all) drupal is a bit complicate for the normal user i think. I will just play around with the main templates that come with it.

So many projects and learning going on right now, drupal is very cool though, planning on using it for a few projects once i get the time. thanks though.

4. Pepsi1975

never used joomla, want to learn drupal, wordpress is very easy to use and update

5. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

It will be a bigger website, pretty much a community portal. with a lot of feature, Joomla seems to had an extension for everything I need to add to the website. Just need to edit the CSS of the layout to make it a 1-off design.

I use liquid web for hosting, and they have fantastico so i installed a ton of different CMS' joomla seemed the easiest to work for a user that knows very little about website design.

So i installed xampp on my pc so i can edit the css and get some realtime feedback on the design... lots of stuff to edit with the joomla templates that come standard, so kinda lookng for one that is really plain that i can beef up myself. I would recommend sticking with drupal, i plan to use it on a few projects.

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I use Joomla. There isn't one specific template I can recommend. The most simple template is going to be a free one. Google "free joomla templates"

Also, it sort of depends on the person who created it - their CSS file organization can differ A LOT. I like RocketTemplates, but there are many many companies that offer templates. Honestly: TORRENTS. You can get megapacks of templates from all over the Web.

keep in mind, though, that lots of the structure is often based on images. So you'll be doing lots of image editing if you want to make it look more "1-off"

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Enjoy the two-level menu system hierarchy. :mamoru:

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

?

oh you mean the section/category thing? that does suck. but it doesn't really have anything to do with the menu, at least not in my experiences

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:hsugh:

That's part of the menu system, bro. Joomla is limiting the content structure to two levels. Shouldn't even be labeled as a CMS at that point. :mamoru2:

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Maybe a semi-CMS? :hsughno:

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

it CAN be part of the menu system, but the content is just separated into sections/categories. that can be a royal PITA, but hasn't affected the menu for me ever

The menu system is flexible enough to where that doesn't get in the way. you can menu link to a section, category, component, specific item, etc.

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

When I was referering to menu system, I was referring to the content structure, kind of like how it's built in Drupal. Not the actual "navigation". But regardless, two-level content structure hierarchy is fail. In my opinion it shouldn't be considered a full CMS because of it.

13. themolsen

themolsen New Member

lulz oh
    well that just really depends on your needs. joomla obviously doesn't meet everyone's needs. but 2 levels is enough for lots of people :dunno: I don't know why you're so hateful toward Joomla. if you don't like it, don't use it

14. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

The difference is that Drupal DOES meet everyone's needs. I'm not hateful over Joomla. I just tend to choose the better products.

15. themolsen

themolsen New Member

but drupal is way harder to use for less-experienced people. and if you don't need what drupal offers, I don't see any reason for many folks to use the more complicated CMS. the OP stated he's a beginner.... Joomla is perfect

16. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

wordpress the blog? How do I change the look?

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

That's one thing I'd give Joomla. It not as complex as Drupal so it helps simple minded users navigate through the CMS a bit better. He's not that much of a beginner. I've been helping him with Drupal for a little while.

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

/wp_content/themes/nameofyourtheme

19. themolsen

themolsen New Member

ah ok I thought he was a CMS noob. I wouldn't say Joomla is for "simple minded" users :squint:, but it's perfect if for your first CMS. if I had dipped into drupal for my first CMS, I wouldn't have been able to do more than the basics with it. and then I'd have been completely missing out on the reason to use drupal in the first place

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:rofl:

I'm just kidding. :greddy:

My first CMS was Mambo CMS. :hsugh:

21. themolsen

themolsen New Member

22. Pepsi1975

are you serious?

have you even looked into it and seen the different themes for it, or build one of your own

23. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

That's no problem, I am better with photoshop than I am coding css, so graphics are no problem.

24. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

lol simple minded users... well just using it because it would be best for the person i am making the website for meaning it would be easier for someone with little to no website design experience to edit/add things.

BTW, thanks for all of the css/drupal/input kingtoad.

25. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

yah, how to build one of my own. I don't like the layouts that they have. I am not sure how to add pictures and stuff. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff :hs: