WEB Joomla 1.5 Devs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CyberBullets, Sep 3, 2008.

1. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Do we have any Joomla 1.5 devs kicking around? More specifically those who have worked with the Joomla Framework (not so much CMS).

I've ordered a few books, but in the meantime, any good online references? I'm responsible for checking out other MVC's with CMS's to see how we can improve our in-house framework, more specifically improving our DAO/DAGO/BO and plugin/modules.

IBJoomlaCommunity
    IBGoogleItYouFucker

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Can't answer your question, but, why choose Joomla over Drupal?

3. CyberBullets

The main reason behind the choice is the framework it's built on. Joomla's framework is a MVC PHP5 OOP Framework, Drupal 7 isn't. This makes it a lot more difficult if I just want the core, and nothing else. I really don't want the Joomla CMS, but it's nice to see how it's using the Joomla 1.5 framework.

The benefit to MVC is the complete abstraction of layers. I can change the hell out of my Module Layer, but as long as the View layer knows what to expect, I'll never damage it. Same goes for any other layer. As long as the messages between them doesn't change (or if it does, it's updated in the affecting layer), you can have tighter control. Of course this brings into the world of coupling and cohesion, and at what levels are correct.

For us, we have a CSS/HTML/JS team, that is all they do. I lead one of the PHP teams, and don't 'care' about HTML/CSS/JS, I want to make sure my PHP is correct, and returns the proper values to the View layer.

As well, it's not TRUE MVC if the Module does any formatting of the output, that has to be done by the View. Drupal REALLLLY breaks this rule.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Drupal 7 is actually a PHP5 based OOP Framework, but it's based on a PAC architecture, not MVC. Design patterns are design patterns, following one would be great regardless. :o Drupal just wouldn't be Drupal if it was following the MVC design pattern. You also don't have to have your module output anything, you can leave that directly up theme. Don't get me wrong, I love MVC, but there's a love with Drupal that will never be extinguished. :hs:

:dunno:

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

6. CyberBullets

We are not interested in PAC, as we've already got an in house MVC framework. Just wanting to see what others are doing mostly. I'll probably do some analysis and implementations to see how it goes, then just dig under the hood.