MMA Joint Lock Submissions in a Tourney/Pro Fight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Acesn8s, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I was watching one of Chechen's JJ in MMA vids and something occured to me. As a fan I have no idea, so I thought I'd ask.

Is there a rule or even an unspoken rule amongst fighters about pushing a joint submission to the breaking point if your opponant tries to tough it out?

Take the Matt Hughes/Royce Gracie fight. Matt gave up on his submission because he knew Royce wasn't going to tap. If Matt so desired, could/should he have broken Royce's arm?

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've seen breaks, and I've seen others just given up because they didn't work. I think alot of the submissions that are given up are because it wastes too much energy to keep trying for a sub you can't get (unless you know you can get it, sometimes it takes longer).

IMO, I don't think Hughes had enough leverage to finish Royce with that armbar. Not with Royce having that much experience. I don't think he would have broken his arm is he stuck with it. And instead of trying to force it and using all that energy, he easily found another position/attack and finished from there.

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Its a kind of unwritten law with grapplers I think, although I notice some Judo guys that train with us sometimes will chuck on an armbar and crank it fairly hard.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

see Mir v Silvia, no unspoken rule there.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Shit happens when you make a wrong move trying to force your way out of a submission.

I sparred with one of the newer guys last night. He has about the same experience as me in grappling class since I don't go often, but he also had highschool wrestling experience which I have none. He was really REALLY active in sparring, to the point of spazzing out. I caught him in a guillotine good and tried to pull gaurd with it, and he went to my side to relieve pressure. But he went to the wrong side and made the choke into a worse neck crank. I didn't let go immediatly because I thought he was trying to roll/flip out of it based on how he was rolling earlier and I got him pretty good. Felt bad because he had to sit out for a while. Unintentional on my part, because I know neck cranks in training SUCK and can injure someone. But kind of the situation I am referring to.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

That's true. Sylvia was pulling his arm out to try and knock Mir's head off, not armbar him in return.

7. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

well mir said he trains to break to arm not to make someone tap out with it, he says if you tap before it breaks thats good for you

8. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yeah I know, it just shows that some guys dont know when to give up and admit its over.

9. xinster

xinster New Member

wasn't mir's fault.

Most guys will go easy, considering if its already locked in its pretty hard to escape for most subs.

If you get caught in an Imanari leglock say goodbye to your knee.

Shamrock will fuck you up too.

On the other hand, you got Nog-Sapp

10. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

if its in an a dude doesn't want to tap, its the ref's job to stop it once they decide the guy is fucked. hopefully before the break

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Example: Sakuraba vs Renzo Gracie

12. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

his arm was already broken at that point though