MIL Joining Up With A Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dalmation20, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Dalmation20

Dalmation20 New Member

Was advised to post on the forum here after posting elsewhere.

I am thinking of joining the army. Reason is I want to make a fresh start and doing something useful with my life. I'm 21 and was going to be charged with a felony but it was reduced to a misdemeanor and spent 5 months in jail. This is going to hold me back from other stuff so maybe the army is the way to go. Before I go back and see a recruiter there were a few things I wanted to check

Will the fact that I have a criminal record mean that infantry is probably the only option?
    Will the fact that I have a record be used against me when I'm in if I do sign up?

I know basic can be tough enough and I know I would have to change my attitude about discipline and that but I'm guessing they'll make that happen. I don't do drugs anymore apart from alcohol and smoking but have in the past - does that make a difference?

Suppose my main question is if people have seen people come in with a criminal record and make a go of things once in the army?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I dunno if they would even allow you to enlist with a felony conviction...

3. French Foreign Legion.

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

What were you convicted of?
    Depends on the crime committed, I think there are other options than infantry, but don't expect anything that needs a clearance.
    Nothing in your past will be held against you with the exception of things you either lied about or did not disclose. Bear in mind though, you may not be eligible for a security clearance.
    Tell your recruiter what you have done, you will be piss tested regardless (everyone gets piss tested).
    Yes, people enlist with criminal records, but there are some crimes that will disqualify you. You need to speak to a recruiter for further details.

5. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

he has an assault charge.

your best bet is go to the recruiters office today. get things in motion and see what they can do for you. chances are they are struggling for quota and will bend over backward to help you. you don't need a security clearance to have a decent job in the military either so don't let that scare you (i don't.)

good luck. man. if you sign up recommend me and i will give you 1000 dollars of the 2000 i'll get for signing someone up.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

assault and drug felonies are automatic disqualifications.

you have to make it clear that this is what you WANT to do because of the time required by the recruiter to get the waivers. if he doesn't see the commitment from you he's not going to help you.

7. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

There is more to this than just an assault. Simple assault is a misdemeanor, it's a felony when words like deadly weapon or domestic violence are added.

8. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

I can really see the wisdom in fartbag's point when you made this comment. :)

9. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Talk to your recruiter, and by discussing the details of your conviction, he will be in a better position to advise you than anyone here so far. The military wants to screen out those who won't make good, disciplined soldiers who will be a credit to the service. On the other hand, they have a history of giving deserving individuals a second chance to prove themselves. Your best bets are the Army and USMC, but you'll have to convince them of your sincerity and worth. You won't be regarded as a great prize, and that's why you might end up as straight-leg infantry. Infantry is the "Queen of Battle", and the rifleman is the foundation for every effective army over the last several hundred years. Infantry isn't most modern recruits first choice, they'd rather get a great education, sit in an air-conditioned office pushing paper around for eight hours before going out on the town. Riflemen are needed, so be willing to do that in exchange for your second chance.

10. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

discipline makes great infantry troops, not anger.

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Right. Because doing whatever you want whenever you want regardless of the consequences is a great quality for a well trained, disciplined military. :ugh2:

Dalmation20 - I've never been a recruiter, but I've used them several times. Best advice I can give you is what has already been said. Be completely honest from the second you talk to a recruiter. Your best bet is to convince him, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that you will be the guy that will stick this out and become a soldier that he will have been proud to have recruited. Tell him that you will do whatever he tells you to do, answer any questions he has, get whatever references he asks for, and do whatever it takes to become a soldier. Tell him that you realize this process may take some time, but that you will not quit if he won't quit.

There are former recruiters that post here. Hang around - one of them will post up eventually with some no-shit answers. Good luck. And if you get the second chance you are looking for, don't fuck it up. A lot of people along the way will have stuck their necks out for you when the easy thing to do will have been to walk away.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  12. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

felony conviction but only did jail time? how did that happen, felonies are served in prison, misdemeanors are served in jail

13. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

he most likely did 5 months in a jail house, when I went to jail I talked to a couple guys. To get 5 months all you need is a dick judge or a woman involved.

14. Dalmation20

Dalmation20 New Member

Just to clarify the situation. I was originally charged with a felony but it was reduced to Misdemeanor A so it's not as bad for me as it sounded. Thanks for the info - it sounds possible and am still thinking it over.

15. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

when i enlisted, i had drug charges from when i was 17 (i enlisted at 18 and am now 23) and i was allowed to enlist, via waivers and whatnot.

i know that juvenile charges can be "expunged" from your record, but i'm not sure about post-adulthood charges...you might call a lawyer and see if you can get the charges expunged...it costs a little bit, but it completely removes it from your records and allows you to say you had no convictions in the past, legally.

the main disqualifier for enlistment into the service is a domestic violence charge...as you can't legally carry a firearm with one of those convictions.

good luck...best advice is talking to a recruiter, as they deal with this ALL the time.

16. SNDP

SNDP New Member

what you need is called "Morality Waiver". They are waiving all sorts of things lately, a recruiter would know for sure.

17. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:nono: Expunging something from your criminal record doesn't remove it from the view of the federal government. It only means that a civilian employer won't be able to see it if he does a background check. The government will see his entire criminal record. And at MEPS when you check the YES/NO boxes for criminal history, it specifically states "whether it has been expunged or not".

His only route will be to work with the recruiter to get a waiver.

18. Dalmation20

Dalmation20 New Member

Have thought about it and have decided to go for it. Have spoken to a recruiter and he's gonna work with me on it but it might take a while but I decided it's my best option to start again and not get into any more trouble and hopefully have a decent life. Some people are saying I'm mad especially with Iraq and Afghanistan but so many people are tied up with it and do OK I'm going to take the risk.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

good for you and good luck.

let us know how it works out