MIL Joining the Reserves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by egxflash, Oct 5, 2005.

1. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

I am 20 and currently hold a well paying job at a well established corporation with a lot of opportunity for advancement. I have my HS diploma and is currently at a JC, waiting to transfer in a year or so to Cal State Long Beach for their criminal justice program. My goal is to kinda see where my current job path will take me but mainly, what I want is to get into law enforcement.

Being in the military is just something Ive always wanted to do and I almost joined a while back if it hadnt been for my residency papers. Well, all of that is sorted out now.

I dont really care to join active duty because I currently live with my disabled grandmother (who raised me ever since I was a little baby) and she doesnt really have anybody else to depend on if I were to be gone for a whole 4 years. Also, I want to test the waters with my current job.

I looked into the Army Reserves and the Marine reserves and I got plenty of information from the recruiter but I wanted to see what your guys' opinions are on the matter.

2. pakman

pakman New Member

Have you looked into the Army National Guard? Honestly, if I were in your position, I'd look into an intel MOS (96X). With that kind of military experience, you'd have a better chance with promotions in law enforcement, and possibly move on to a federal job later on. You just have to make sure you can get a security clearance.

3. egxflash

thats the thing that everybody over there told me. Being just a resident right now (citizenship is pending) might not grant me the clearance to even be an MP. The army girl said I could cross reference later on at my unit and get going on that, so I dont really think theyd ok me to go into Intel.

I'm actually waiting to retake my Asvab and everything, because the last time i took it, they offered me a job as a chopper pilot or something like that..that was about two years ago though, I cant remember. If i could get a bitchin job like that, Im seriously going to consider going active and getting that kinda training in the military.

4. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

The big thing to remember is that the guard and reserves are deploying a lot more now than ever. Make sure that your granny can care for herself if you get deployed. Also if you go active you can take your grandma with you. I beleive there is a way to get custody of her and then you can list her as a dependant( means more money for you and you don't have to live in barracks, she would also get advantage of your benefits ie, medical,dental) Just a thought

5. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I wouldn't do it. You have a respectable position in your career. Joining the Army or Marine Corps as a reservist MP will most likely land you somewhere whjere you don't want to be. In other words, Iraq.

6. Capitals

Capitals Guest

If deploying overseas is a big no no on your list of dos and donts don't join the reserves or national guard.

You won't want to be there, the people who are there for the right reason will know that and it'll just turn out to be a very bad and potentialy dangerous situation.

7. egxflash

As far as deployment is concerned, those are all very extenuating circumstances where I know my gramma will be fine to be with someone else temporarily. But as far as being gone for a full 4-6 years in the military, that creates a totally different situation.

I just want to join. Always have. I want to serve this country, be a part of this cause and be in the military. That has never changed through the years and I feel as if its something that I have to do, for myself. However, present circumstances wont let me go all out and enlist. At the same time, I have a lot of friends and family serving in the army, navy, air force and the marines, and talking to them, the whole deal about spending the time on base when not in war just isnt appealing to me at all.

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If I was in your situation I wouldn't do it. You are looking at being gone about six months for initial training, and then if you get called up to deploy you will be active for anywhere between 12-24 months or possibly longer.

9. egxflash

Ill look into that. Thanks.

10. egxflash

I thought you could only be deployed for 6-12 months at a time.

11. RRTX

RRTX New Member

You might only be in country for that amount, but you will be activated for train up months prior to deployment and possibly equipment recovery after deployment.