MIL Joining the Navy with a GED...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Alexqzilla, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

I scored an 80 on the AFQT, and they told me I probably won't be able to join because of my GED. Is the recruiter just giving me bullshit so that if they call me, I'll be more willing to cooperate with their terms?

What's the rule? Do I really need to go to the community college just so I can qualify?

Thanks, if anyone needs any more information about the situation I'll be more than happy to provide it

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Don't know what the score cutoff is for GED, but if you're over it with that 80, they will take you. Legally, it IS equivelant to a high school diploma. I don't think any agency (especially the US govt can discriminate against the GED vs. regular HS diploma).

3. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

So you think he was just spitting game?

4. Motosaki2

Motosaki2 Guest

im in the same exact situation you are in right now. only difference is i want to join the air force, but have a GED, and generally do well on tests. i was told I need 15 credit hours of college to be on the same level as a high school graduate. i have heard of people being admitted with a GED and no credits, i just don't know how they did it.

the good news is 15 hours is really nothing at all, you can do it in one semester if you take an extra class. go to a local community college, you could pay for a semester with books and everything for a little over a thousand for an in state student

5. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

I just don't know if I can really stay where I am for a full semester, I've got a lot of rent debt which is the primary reason I'm going into the military in the first place. :hs:

6. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

Right now with the military they are getting a lot of recruits banging down their doors. All the armed services can start getting extremely picky with who they take in. If it comes down to GED vs. HS Diploma, they'll take diploma...

This is just the beginning of this, pretty sure Operational Tempo (I can speak based on my experience in the Navy) for ships decreasing, part support decreasing, and more people getting kicked to the curb for minor shit. It's going to be competitive so all I can really say is good luck.

7. burn__

burn__ New Member

he may have been trying to put you off because there might be some extra work involved. army recruiter was doing that to me last year with WOFT because of all the extra work he would have to do without a 'big return'.

8. Autorotate

Autorotate New Member

did you get in?

9. burn__

burn__ New Member

i gave up trying with that recruiter.
    it was his last 2-3 months when i was trying to get everything done. i think it was september 2008 i got a call from him to wait and see when he could get me in for a flight physical. never heard from him again.

ended up deciding to get my masters and do ROTC instead (just started this past semester).

10. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

Army Recruiter checking in. At this time, the only branch accepting GED applicants is the Army. Even so, the applicant must score above a 50 on the ASVAB, which you have done. If Military service is what you are looking for, you may want to talk to an Army Recruiter sooner rather than later, as we are not going to be accepting GED applicants for much longer. Take that for what it's worth, because you being in California and I being in East Texas, I can't help you any way, but I do know that the order has been sent out that GED's will not be accepted by the Army. We don't know at this time when the order will be dated.

And, Wolf, a GED is not the same as a high school diploma. You may think it is, but to the US Military it is not. You can try to bring up a discrimation suit, but Congress tell us how many GED applicants we can accept. So, I guess US Code is what you would have to fight against. If you can get heard by the Supreme Court of the United States, you may have a case. Good luck with that.

SSG Schwartz

11. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

I want nothing to do with the Army

What are the odds the Navy will give me a waiver or accept me? Do I really have to stack up 15 college credits just for the sake of qualifying?

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Not very high. Right now the military is a VERY popular option for civilians. They don't need to take any and everybody like they have in the past. They can be picky on who the choose, and usually that means a blanket "we're not taking any of xxxx", which you would fall under.

They are kicking people out left and right for near anything to reduce numbers, and they just released new SRB rates (for reenlisters) basically removing any sort of bonus for staying in since people are going to reup no matter if they get extra money or not based off the economy.

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

This link will help you understand why you need to get 15 college credits.

GED + 15 college credit hours = HS graduate = Tier 1 applicant.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards_4.htm

Here is another link that helps explain the three-tier classification: http://diodon349.com/Torpedoman/TM_Stuff/aptitude_area.htm

Right now you have a tier 2 education. Can you move home, and try to finish 16 weeks of college courses? That'll give you the best chance of even getting into the military regardless of what branch you want to try your luck in.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  14. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

Shit

15. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

the new SRB list is laughable

16. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

got a link?

17. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

cliffs: lots of zeros

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

it's so sad. i just put my obliserv to train papers in to lock in the 3.0 for the NEC im going to school for, it dropped down to 1.0 :(

fucking nuke is at 12.0 though o_O that's like $90,000 for 3 years of reenlisting ><

19. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

20. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

wait.... wat?

21. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

ANGRY post :( I went back to edit the post and then I decided to just deleted it. What's the point of a rant. I think it is lame that I have to sit in a college level course that I am playing for when the teacher has to teach down to the high school grads who did not pay attition in school.

I think if you can score high on the ASVAB it does not really matter if you have a highschool diploma or not. If you score 80% on the asvab you are doing better then most of the crew cheifs at this base.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  22. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

i see :mamoru:

23. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

80 isn't very high though, especially when everyone on OT got a 99. why should you get a free pass though? I can only think of maybe 1 reason why someone would drop out of HS and later get a GED. otherwise it just shows you have no discipline since you couldn't even make it through 4 years of HS. not what the military is looking for.

24. Motosaki2

Motosaki2 Guest

IMO it should be about the best man for the job, a GED holder that scores a 90 on the asvab should get the position before a high school grad who barely breaks 50 . lets give the job to the retard just because he finished high school?

25. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

As Jake Blues said to the Penguin in that classic motion picture, "Well, looks like you're up shit creek." There are no waivers authorized for education. Congress enacts these standards because it has been shown that high school grads tend to enlist more often than GED holders. That is what it all comes down to. The only reason that the Army even considers GED and non-GED applicants is because the Army requires more personnel than any other branch of service. This is because the Army has more jobs than any other branch. If you won't join the Army, that is your choice, but you could go down to your Army recruiter and see what jobs you will qualify for.

SSG Schwartz