MIL Joining the Navy.. Overweight.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Datsyukiandeek, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Well currently I am 6'1 215lbs and I am in decent shape. I play in hockey games 4 days a week and do the whole gym thing on the other three.

Obviously, I am overweight for navy standards. How do they treat this? Do I have to get down to a certain weight before they let me in? Or do they have a separate program for fat fucks like myself?

Thanks

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

what's your body fat %.

3. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

at MEPS they'll do testing, and if you're not up to snuff they'll tell you to lose weight and come back. If you make the cut you'll go to boot camp, and the activities there, as well as the Company Commanders "See food diet" you'll lose a few belt sizes while you're there.

I knew 2 guys when I was in Boot Camp who had to go and buy all new uniforms the day after graduation because nothing fit them anymore. Our CC put them on a "See food diet". With all the exercise our company did they lost a lot of weight while we were there.

4. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

If you are overweight but still under 25% body fat, there should not be a problem.

5. I am not really sure what my body fat is. My goal weight is 180. I believe that my endurance is pretty high but I don't want to show up to boot camp as an absolute fat load.

6. thedizzlerjdw

thedizzlerjdw New Member

just go sign up, they'll whip you into shape. as long as ur not in the bottom 5 % after ur first pt test u wont get to much shit. everyone gets yelled at,degraded , etc just zone it out and do your best

7. RSX_E

RSX_E KittyCat

You might as well try out first and see what happens. But I understand what you mean. No one wants the Private Pile situation in Full Metal Jacket :noes:

8. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

202 is the 72 in wt limit right?

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

and AF

and im guessing 73 in is 206 wt limit....your not that far off

10. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Correct. Max weight for 6'1"/73" is 206.

Drop 10 pounds and since you are already physically active, I wouldn't worry about the Navy PFA too much.

http://www.usnavy.vt.edu/CurrentStudents/PhysFitness/pfa.htm

There's a link to the Navy PFA standards.

BTW, to answer your other question, the Navy doesn't have the Fat Boy program anymore AFAIK. When I went through back in 88, they had the program. I was 245 when I went to boot. By the time I graduated, I was 190. Basically, the program was they just doubled the amount of PT you did. Plus, they gave you less time to eat for chow.

11. Eh, aren't you the token Hawaiian black guy on CSI? I used to be a member like two years ago and I remember you.

12. Tryfaen

Tryfaen New Member

When they measure you suck in your stomach a bit(just don't make it obvious)
    and hold your head back a little(makes your neck thicker) this will work the body fat measurement into your favor a little bit.

You will lose weight probably putting you between 190-195 at the end of bootcamp so as long as you can do the run/push ups/sit ups you will be fine.

13. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Affirmative. But I'm not the token. :rofl: