MIL Joining the National Guard/Army Reserves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tska, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Tska

Tska New Member

I'm going to be joining the national guard (is there any difference between "National Guard" and "Army Reserves"?) - an ARNG friend is hooking me up with a recruiter he knows, as soon as he calls me back I'll be signing the papers and what not.

I'm a call firefighter, and will be testing for my EMT license within the next couple weeks. I'm considering, among others, 21M (Firefighter) - the description on goarmy.com says it's basically a base fire department. How does this work with activations? Are established bases the only places 21M's work?

I'm also considering 63A (Abrams Tank Systems Maintainer) and 96B Intelligence Analyst.

Can you give me any info on any of these MOS's before I talk to the recruiter? 21M would be the best career-related MOS (I'm planning on going full-time firefighter), but I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks guys :big grin:

2. Tska

Tska New Member

Wow. Thanks for the sticky :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

3. pakman

pakman New Member

I'm in the Army National Guard, though I'm not in the firefighter MOS field so I can't give you any information on that. First of all, the main difference between the NG and Reserves is that NG is funded by a state, and Reserves is federally funded. So obviously for the NG, tuition assistance will vary from state to state (Ohio is 100%). Reserves on the other hand is set at 75% last I heard. Also, in the Reserves, if a unit from across the country needs your MOS to fill their MTOE (unit requirements) for a deployment, they could transfer you to that unit. With the NG however, you can only be transfered to another unit in-state.

I'd say, do what you feel would best serve you. Chances are, you could be deployed to Iraq, and there you'll most likely be working inside the camp as a fire marshall or whatever. Basically inspecting buildings/tents, probably not too much if any actual fire fighting. Then again who knows. As far as an "established" base, I believe every base/camp/FOB requires a fire marshall so you could be sent anywhere theoretically. Anyway, good luck in your endeavors, and if you have any more questions regarding the NG side of the Army, don't hesitate to shoot me PM. Peace.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

My pleasure. I usually stick questions from new/potential recruits at least until they get an answer or two.

Good luck!

5. Accord

Accord New Member

http://slate.msn.com/id/2112001/

6. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

national guard has combat arms mos's like 11b (infantry) while army reserves have support mos's