MIL Joining the Military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coddle, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I've been thinking about joining the military, particularly the AF. However I am reluctant due to the MOS's they offer. Desk jobs and technical jobs don't really appeal to me (I am well rounded when it comes to technology and being able to use it). Basically, these are the jobs I would consider in the AF.

- Aerial Gunner
    - Tactical Air Command And Control Apprentice
    - Pararescue Apprentice
    - Fire Protection Apprentice
    - Combat Control Apprentice

Out of those 5, I am most interested in the pararescue apprentice. My main question is, would I be even out doing rescue missions while enlisted as a pararescue apprentice? I wouldn't mind being in hostile environments, but most importantly I don't want some desk jockey job where all I do is take orders while never leaving some AF base. Do you think the Army or the Marines would be a better branch for me?

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

www.specialtactics.com

That site will give you all the info you need on the PJ's and CCT.

TACP is nothing more than an Army 13F. They live, eat, and sleep with the Army. Might as well join the Army and get the bonus and better GI Bill.

Aerial Gunner is a cool job but very hard to get into due to the limited number of available jobs.

3. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I have talked to my AF recruiter. Haven't even bothered checking out any other branches until last night (goarmy.com). My family, especially my father, and nearly all my friends have always discouraged me from the infantry branches. I would like to do a job that is exciting, yet not an infantry job. And primarily I want to become a pilot.

To become an officer, you have to have a bachelors degree, correct?

4. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

who gives a shit what your family thinks... they aren't going to disown you for doing something you like, if they are thats pretty shitty of them:ugh:

and i don't know very many infantrymen that aren't proud, or don't like their job just look at the few guys that are here in the barracks:dunno:

5. Coddle

Coddle New Member

It's not that I care what they think (as far as what I do with my life), it's just that with all their negative input on those branches, it has made me overlook any possible careers within those branches. My family would support me with whatever I do, they just always try and pursaude me to do safer things/think about doing safer things. I can understand where they are coming from, but I won't let that cloud my decision.