MIL Joining the military is the worst decision I've ever made.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by insomnia, Jul 12, 2005.

1. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I see my family at the most once a year, I've lost track of most of my friends, and normally work 10-12 hour shifts per day and many weekends. My shift is changed at least once a month and sometimes 2-3 times a week. I've gotten really distant with most of my family and practically seperated myself from them...

If I knew how bad it would be I never would have enlisted. Yes there are benifits and I've done and seen things I never would have but it's just not worth it. All you really have in life is family and friends and without them everything is empty.

How the fuck do you guys deal with this for 20 years? Is this why people get married so fast?

Sorry to bitch, just needed to vent a little.

2. camo~

camo~ I LURK

Hate to break it to ya, but civilian life is much the same as you just described. Welcome to adulthood.

3. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I'm sure it's similar in some ways, but if I wanted to go see my family for a weekend I could. At least I'd be in the same hemisphere anyways.

And I would be making some serious $$ if I worked the hours I do now with overtime pay. I hear people even get lunchbreaks out there :eek4:

4. camo~

camo~ I LURK

I havent had a lunch break in 8 1/2 years. I make good money, and spend most of it on my house, my vehicles and my junk. I cant afford to go see my family for a weekend.

I love my job and my life. It is all about what you are willing to do. You will retire in 20 years. I have already been working for 20 years. I have probably 20 more to go. It all evens out.

5. camo~

camo~ I LURK

I dont mean to say it isnt tough. I simply ment to show that civi life sucks as well. You have to try and make the best of whatever path you chose.

6. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I'm not flightline now, I'm in phase. Pretty much a nonner, but we still get fucked around pleanty. At least on the flightline everyone was getting fucked together and got along.

7. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I don't need a good house or cars or a bunch of shit. I just hate when I come home and my sister's kids don't even fucking recognize me. I'd rather have a shit job and struggle with family.

You also said you love your job, which isn't something I can say. I feel a big sense of accomplishment but that's it..... I'm never eager to wake up and go bathe in hydraulic fluid and jp-8.

8. pakman

pakman New Member

I know how you feel man. I joined back in 2001 believing the National Guard was only used for state and some national emergencies. A rude awakening when I got into boot camp, and even moreso when I deployed to Iraq. I'm a mechanic over here, so I know all about JP-8 and oils. Not to mention maint. tents with no A/C, fucked up floors (makes creepers useless), and dirt all up under all the humvees/5-tons. By the end of the day, I'm covered in dirt and oils, because there's no fucking way I'd wear coveralls in this heat. Also the amount of bull shit the few American teams have to deal with on coalition camps, being the red-headed step child basically. Our higher forget about us, and the coalition troops here just don't give a fuck. I mean honestly, what small maintenance team do you know that has to convoy every week just to pick up mail, go to finance, and use phones? About the only amenity here is internet to our living area, which costs us a fucking arm and a leg. But, this is what I chose, and I will continue to drive on until my ass is home free.

9. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

holla from Iraq!!

sucks here too brotha!!

i hear ya about the whole "How do guys do this shit for 20 years?" question. I work with alot of guys who are around 20-22 years in enlisted.. I dont get 'em. I've only been in 19 months total. Got about another year and a half left, and then that is IT for me.

at LEAST you're in germany, and not in baghdad.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm usually the very last person to be harsh towards a member of the military. I stick up for you guys at every single turn. Fuck - I even get OTers banned from this forum for looking crosseyed at you guys. I have two sons in Iraq; I was born into a military family; I spent the first 12 years of my life bouncing from Navy base to Navy base; I actually experienced culture shock when we were finally stationed stateside (God do Americans ever have the best country or what?!); As soon as I could, I joined the military; and as soon as they could, my sons did the same thing. I said all that to say this: I support you. I defend you. I understand what you go through. I understand what your families go through.

But having said all that, allow me to say this: Suck it the fuck up. :squint:

Civilians the world over endure shitty jobs, shitty bosses, shitty hours, shitty wages, and shitty living conditions. Hell - most Americans can say the same thing! Whether you elect to reenlist or not, you will have earned lifetime benefits that most civilians will never see. You will get preferential treatment for jobs, home loans, and countless other things - just because you served. Most American civilians will work for multiple companies before they retire. And when they retire, they will probably have to settle for a shitty retirement because they weren't able to work for the same company for 30 years. Most large companies that actually have an infrastructure that can sustain a 20-30 year career will go through enough frequent reorganizations that only the most tenacious employee will be able to avoid the layoffs and mergers long enough to retire - and if he is able to do that, it will only be because he puts in 60 hours/week in a salaried (non-overtime) job sucking up to whatever management swinging dick happens to be hanging over his head.

I'm sorry that you aren't able to see your family as often as you like. You are right: family is the most important thing in this world. But life is absolutely not greener on the other side of the fence. It's only a different shade of shit.

Your life and your military experience are what you make them. If you focus on the negatives, you will eventually realize that they follow you around no matter what job or location you move to.

I'm sorry if I have offended you.

11. Whoflungpoo

Whoflungpoo BlooRly!?

:bowdown:

btw I know some PJ's and CCT guys, hell even some ATC's that would :rofl: at you thinking flightline jobs were any more stressful than theirs.

12. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

13. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

QFMFT.

Serious, did you think you were joining the Fluffy Bunny League?
    You're part of an organization whose purpose is the defense of the US, and the contract you signed willingly lets them put you where they need you, when they need you, how they need you, and for how long they need you (until your 8 years is up).
    If you didn't realize that before you joined, that's too bad, because you signed documents and took an oath saying that you did.

Hmm> I think I'm sounding like a bit of an asshole.
    I DO understand where you're coming from. Military life is tough, especially the first term of enlistment. For most people, it's the first time truly away from home that they've ever had to experience. As far as friends and family go, family will always be there, and they're just a phonecall away. If your friends choose not to stay in touch with you, it's indicative of how true a friend they are.

14. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

i find this funny because i joined the military for a challenge and wanted a tough life. i was spoiled like hell as a kid. i had maids and everything, i didnt even know how to do laundry when i got to basic. i joined on a Airborne Ranger contract cause i wanted one of the hardest things to do in the military. i am now in the honor guard and missing the rough and tough life, so im going special forces for another challenge. kinda funny how opposite we are.

15. itski

itski Yargg

It was put to me liek this and I agree completly

"The military is the worst thing I could do to my life, and the best thing I could do for it."

16. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

17. MarcinMaximus

MarcinMaximus New Member

:gtfo3:

18. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

civilian life rocks. :wavey: I dunno what you are talking about! I think you guys just need a shot a prozac in your coffee or something!

I think you should try using the computer to keep in touch with your friends and family.

letter writing is great too...also get yourself a digital camera and send pictures of stuff you get to see to your friends back home.

these are all great ways to keep in touch with the "real world" (tm)

youve got a great opportunity I think it is just a matter of you seeing it in a negative way! CHEER UP!

19. MarcinMaximus

MarcinMaximus New Member

Word!

20. Whoflungpoo

Whoflungpoo BlooRly!?

It was put to me like this: The military will give you more sex than any woman ever could, because they will screw you every damn day.

21. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

he wanted to know how to keep in touch with his friends.

im saying its his problem that hes not keeping in touch.

that being said it happens to everyone civilian or military.

It sounds like he's just feelin under the weather, which is pretty universal.

I've lost touch with plenty of ppl! I'd like to hear if you think he is right in feeling miserable though? I dunno, educate me if im wrong.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  22. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

Damn it! I was gonna say that.

23. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Alot of replies so I'm not going to quote everyone.

Like I said before, I'm not at all downplaying the benifits of the military. I really can't think of any other jobs that offer the same things with the amount of job security we have. This isn't what I'm bitching about. What I am bitching about is when I come home to see my family and sister & brothers kids they ask who I am. There is nothing more painful than that to me.

I've never minded long hours or hard jobs. When I was 15-16 I worked 39 hours after school each week (they don't let kids in school work full time), when I was 17-18 I worked 3-10 after school & weekends, and pleanty after I graduated as well. Again, the work stresses me out but that's not the worst.

I have sucked it up and will continue to do so. This is the first time I've ever really complained, and there is no way I'd say any of this to my family. Just thought some people here would relate :dunno:

I didn't say it was more stressful that everyone else's job, but I'm sure it's right up there.

I would if I could. This is a beautiful country though :hs:

This is what I do now, send alot of emails and pictures. Only a few relatives have internet access though, and most of my family doesn't get along with each other like I do :hs:

By the way I'm not all all offended by anyone, I don't like bullshit anyways..... tell it like it is. Thanks for the replies everyone.

24. pimp

pimp semperfidelis.com

25. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:cool: