MIL Joining the air force after high school

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jun 9, 2005.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Hey all.

I'm currently going into my senior year in high school. Once finished, I plan on joining the air force. My goal would be to become a fighter pilot(possibly an f-22:x: ). Anyway, my question is, as a B student, realisitically, are my chances of reaching this goal good? Do you absolutely have to dedicate yourself to become one? I've been doing research on it and it seems tough. Any adice or help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. cdorka

cdorka New Member

first off you need a frekin degree to be an officer and thus be a pilot.

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

enlisting in the air force and flying? chances? 0.001%

get into the air force academy. have perfect vision. get perfect grades. train for a couple years then you fly the F22.

marines? 50%

get a degree, go through OCS and get commissioned with an air contract. train for a couple years, fly fixed wings and perhaps even the JSF.

4. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Couple of questions. Is the F-35 going into service? What's it replacing?

Also, what's JSF? Joint Strike Fighter? What exactly is that?

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

The Army has the high school to flight school program, but you have to be a outstanding person to qualify. And you would be flying choppers.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

JSF = Joint Strike Fighter = F-35.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/

7. kidhero

a corporal in my platoon is finishing with paperwork on his commission this december. he's being processed through for top secret clearences, job clearences, blah blah. he's given an air contract and will be leaving us to join up with the air wing in okinawa. he's slated to fly the JSF within a year.:cool:

8. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Not likely. He first has to attend 6 months at TBS, then primary, then advanced. The pipeline itself is more than a year, then you have to tack on the 6 months at TBS. And you don't find out your airframe until later in the training process. You don't get to choose in the beginning.

9. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Ugh, this reminds me I need to redo all my security clearance paperwork and get reclassified for Top Secret.

Oh, uh... don't enlist if you plan on flying. You need to do a LOT more research before you join. Only officers fly in the AF. You can be part of flight crew, but only doing maintanance or being a loadmaster.

10. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

:werd:

unless he's with a reserve unit, then you know what you're going to fly. Of course that reserve unit has to have picked you up before and agreed to all this.

11. thesuperlurker

You can't go straight into the reserves as a Marine officer.

12. kidhero

he's finished with TBS and starting air school after december. he's going from a reserve unit to active duty.

13. thesuperlurker

You said in your first post that he's going through the paperwork to get commissioned. You can't go to TBS unless you are commissioned. If he was at TBS he would be active duty and no longer obligated to serve with his reserve unit. Once you finish TBS that don't demote you to corporal, they send you on your way to your next MOS school.

*edit- he has probably attended OCS already and not been commissioned. That would explain why he is waiting until December. In that case my original post still stands. But whatever.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  14. kidhero

i was under the impression that you would only be given your LT commission upon the completion of TBS. he has completed TBS and mentioned that he's currently in the process of finishing paperwork to leave for flight school in december. i may have confused said paperwork as waiting for his commission. if that was incorrect then i have learned a bit more about OCS. yay.