MIL Joining for the wrong reasons?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Off, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Off

Off Memento Mori

Hi, I figured I'd get some more informed opinions in here than the main forums.

I am currently enrolled at McGill University in Montreal pursuing a double major in economics and finance. I am 19 years old and 3 years away from graduating with both degrees (assuming I attend summer school and dont fail anything).

I am also disgusted with myself, because I am a lazy slob. I have a pretty good gpa (3.66), but I have done nothing to earn it.

I am the child of two extremelly hard working people. My father is an economist and my mother a corporate executive. They are now divorced. When I was a kid, they were both working 60 hour weeks (I guess that contributed to their relationship problems), as a result, I grew up in a pretty laissez-faire environment, and I never gave them any reason to tighten up the rules, I never did anything overly stupid.

My high school marks are horrendous, filled with 10% marks in the classes that I didnt like, above average marks in the classes I had to pass and 90s in the classes I did like. This barely got me into college (we have a slightly different school system than the rest of North America, where we graduate highschool 1 year earlier, spend 2 years in 'College' taking mostly useless and some introductory university courses, then go on to 3 years of univ.) There, my marks looked even worse, I was very much above average in most of my classes, but I had many 0s from classes I stopped going to and didnt drop or just never went and didnt drop mainly due to pure and simple sloth.

Normally, I wouldn't have gotten into Finance, nevermind a double major, but they called me in for an interview, where I explained these marks to them, and when the 0s were eliminated, my marks were more than good enough to get into any program I wanted. I was extremelly ashamed to have been accepted in this manner.

To 'defeat' my laziness, I threw myself into a fray, half hoping I would fail. 35 hours of work at an overly stressful job and 25 credit hours of school. This year I was hoping for some sort of motivation, I was hoping my brain would tell to go out there and get what I wanted, but no, just the same old me, not doing anything yet doing fine in school and at work. I am in very good position to get my dream job in a few years and live very comfortably. But as I have seen first hand from my parents, comfort does not equal happiness.

I know I will never be happy as I am now. I want to be a machine;goal-driven, fully motivated, relentless. I want to get up every day and feel good about what I am. So a few weeks ago, I handed in my application to the military, I am lazy and unmotivated on my own, but for the short time in my life when I was in a fully structured environment, being told what to do and not having a choice, I thrived and I was happy. In such an environment, when there was only one goal, I was a leader, I was the best. I guess I am overwhelmed by the infinite possibilities of the real world, and need a goal set for me.

I know its sad, but thats the way I am. Will the military fix me up?

PS Sorry for the life story, but given the thread title, you'd be confused as to why I was joining if it was any shorter :hs:

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

It sounds like you just need something to challenge you. Sure.

3. Off

Off Memento Mori

Im not sure I understand what you mean.

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

You gonna get rapped.

5. EYOB

EYOB Guest

What exactly would you wanna do in the Military (Job/MOS) ??

6. h0tsi1k

h0tsi1k New Member

I'm kind of the same way. I don't and can't put any effort into anything I'm not interested in. And I agree with #2, you're looking for a challenge, not a fix. You already have all the skills you need; you just need some where to put them and add a little bit of adventure with it.

Good luck

7. EYOB

EYOB Guest

:eek5:

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

in for rapping!

9. Coddle

Coddle New Member

:ugh:

10. eter

eter New Member

What occupations did you apply for and under what plan... are you dropping out of college?

11. eter

eter New Member

I signed a contract for 6 years with 3 of those being the rest of my engineering studies (ie. no actual service except courses during the summer). You get about a year and a half to decide if its what you want or not without have to reimburse anything, and if you decide to drop out after that, you have to repay part of what they have given you since you enrolled. Just saying its not the end of the world if he realizes the army isn't for him later on. most people discover pretty quickly wether they are cut out for military life or not.

12. eter

eter New Member

just know this... canadians are in the most dangerous place in the world right now. the death rate of canadian troops in our sector of afghanistan is higher than anywhere else there or in iraq. and you WILL have to go.

13. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

a whole generation of kids feeling like shit

yay

14. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Hold me Mr. 98.

:hugot:

15. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

engineering studies = crew cheif.

16. Off

Off Memento Mori

Combat Infantry

All I have is my DES, DEC and ''some college coursework'', which basically means jack shit, so I applied for the unskilled entry plan.

And yes, at the end of this school year its over for me. I cant keep going like this :hs:

17. Off

Off Memento Mori

I understand.

18. eter

eter New Member

? im graduating in electrical engineering, my mos is army signals officer

19. eter

eter New Member

you should really consider staying in school and being in the military at the same time, just your army training during the summers might change your motivation towards school. but best of luck anyway, keep us informed on your progress or if you have any questions, recruiters rarely have up to date information ...

20. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

from what i have found out in the military they sure do jazz up thoes titles ;)

21. eter

eter New Member

when it comes to engineering there is an incredible amount of abuse of the term ... not only in the military but like microsoft who calls graduates of a 3 week class data systems engineers or people with 8th grade educations who hook up stereos and call themselves audio engineers ...

22. Off

Off Memento Mori

That would be doing what ive been doing my whole life, doing things half-hearted. Ive got to throw myself into it 100% :hs: