A&P Joining A&P crew...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mestizo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Just started my after college life and the first check went to a Nikon D40X kit. I was set on a D40 because it seemed to be a good entry level, but Newegg was selling recertified D40x kits with a 90 day warranty for $20 more. I'll check shutter actuation and return if anything is fishy.

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and been pretty humbled by what I don't know about photography. I had a few questions if anyone can help...

1) I've got a few Borders/B&N gift cards leftover from graduation - can anyone recommend a book that'll really make a difference in helping me learn basic concepts?

2) Whats the first thing I'm going to want to add to my equipment? I resisted the urge to get another lens because I wanted to learn basic concepts with the 18-55. I think I have everything I need to take pictures out of the box. I downloaded Lightroom for PP and the program is pretty overwhelming so far.

3) How do you decide your subject matter? Just grab your camera and go for a walk? I just moved to Dubuque so theres not a lot around here I know of except corn (Field of Dreams 15mins away) :sadwavey: I really like the look of bright night pictures and b&w city pics

Thanks for the help!!!

Cliffs: Bought D40x kit, good books?, extra equip?, choosing subject matter?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

1. Welcome :wavey:

2. An external flash (mine just came today, I should have ordered it a long time ago), as far as lightroom goes, just start slow, and dont try to add to many crazy effects, goto the "develop" tab, and just move the sliders around (goto the extremes and it will give you an idea of what can happen if you go to far). I really like having a grip too.

3. as far as subject matter, shoot whatever you think looks good, post your pictures, get them torn apart, and try to improve :big grin:

3. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

SB-400 or SB-600 + Diffuser

Just start shooting...

Start in auto mode, then to P, then to A or S then to M :eek4:

Oh and another thing...read your manual! It has very good information about how to properly operate your camera.

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

as far as books, i read understanding exposure and it was really helpful when starting out.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

practice practice practice. take lots of pictures and post them here, even if you think they are horrible, we will teach you how to improve.