A&P joinin' the crew!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pawis, Sep 27, 2008.

1. pawis

pawis werd em up

sup otap :wavey:

wanted to pick up photography as a hobby so picked up my first dslr today, d40... also picked up a 4gb memory card, bag, and tripod. pretty new to photography but been reading up on it a lot more the past month, and now i just gotta go out and take some pics and see what you folks think.

i live in vegas and am tempted to head out tonight and try to take some night shots on the strip with the tripod, but im not sure i wanna lug that around yet, but im pretty sure my handheld night shots will probably fail, any tips or suggestions?

as far as plans on future equipment: 55-200 vr lens, sb400(should i get the 600 or 800?), and maybe that new af-s 50mm 1.4 prime... and this is future as in the within the next half to whole year, and i figured this would be enough for a hobbyists to play around with.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

first of all, welcome from a fellow Nikonian. :bigthumb:

Now that the greetings are out of the way, a few things.

1. D40 is something you use to learn the basics. Then you throw it away and buy *minimum* a D50/70/70s/80/90. I have one, Jared_IRL has one, and aCab was going to get a D90 but he pussied out and kept on making threads about it.

2. Why would you want to pay that much money for a 50mm f/1.4? Instead of doing that, (again) get rid of the D40, buy a D80 or better and use the regular 50mm f/1.4 that will work on those... save $200.

3. This place is rough and critical. No beating around the bush here. OTAP will tell you if you have a good picture, and will tear you a new one (as far as criticism) when you don't. So, if you want honesty about your pictures you're in the right place.

4. White Stormy is a troll. Learn it, love it, get over it.

5. Lots of Nikon hate in here. LOTS!!!

Thats it for now. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

3. aCab

aCab New Member

Bottom is the reason for the other.

The d40 is a great camera and will suit your needs fine at first. You may, depending on what you need out of a camera, never outgrow it/need another camera. Most of the world doesn't.

If I was just coming into the game, I would go with Nikon, so kudos there. Spend your money on good glass and you will be rewarded.

Post your pictures for critique and you're sure to get some rough ones, but keep doing it - It'll make you better.

So with the SB-800 if you can afford it. Much more upward growth available with it.

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

so you're saying you care what people think about your camera? I could really care less. I love my Nikons

5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Your d is on the wrong side, bro.

6. aCab

aCab New Member

:mamoru: I just realized that my money was better spent on lighting equipment and other things like food. I couldn't really afford to switch right now. To get the Nikon equivalent of my 24-70 f/2.8 L I would have had to shell out about $600 more, and to get the D300, I'd have to spend about $700 after my 30d was sold. So $1300 just wasn't worth it to me at the moment.

7. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

8. pawis

pawis werd em up

ah, thx for the thoughts, sounds like i will probably hold off on the prime, but tonight i really wish i had some more zoom

gotta sort thro pics, but spent the night on the strip, i dont think i got anything great, night shots are rough as hell to get sharp, but did some tripod long shutter streaky street light type stuff... so yea, maybe one of those look ok :x but definately looking forward to harsh critique :p

9. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

definitely post some of your work if you can take the harsh critique. BUT it will make you a better photographer faster.

cheers and welcome aboard.

10. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

welcome to the club.

this is a good place if you can take the critiques.

And if you want an SB600, I'm selling mine. PM me if you are interested.

Oh, and take LOTS of pics. The more pics you take, the more opportunities you have to improve.

11. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

get the nikon 50mm 1.8 if u want a 50mm prime. itll be the best bang for buck you can get for a lens.