Joined the crew finally... looking for jackets

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spyder2581, May 17, 2008.

1. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I dont know how the sizes are on jackets (what numbers are large, xl, etc.) . I am looking around and need to know what would fit me. I guess I could go and try something on at a dealership, but I am too excited and want to try and find a deal online so I have something good to ride it. I am 6'3 and 210lbs.

* I got a suzuki bandit 1200 and I will post pics tomorrow sometime. :bowdown:

2. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

nevermind, I found the sizes. Anyone have some recommendations on jackets? My bike is all black

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Depends alot on what you like and how you ride.
    I am one of the few on OT that hates short racing jackets. I like 3/4 styles because they are more versatile. I have 2. 1 is a cordura 3/4 that's for colder weather riding and waterproof. The other is a very open mesh 3/4 for hot weather.
    Also sizes are not the same. An XL in one brand may equal a L or a 2xl in another (or even a 3xl) So beware.

I also don't recommend black for summer riding. HOT!! the lighter the color, the cooler it is. When you take short rides, it's not as much of a factor but when you are rolling through 100 degree weather for 10 hours that black leather racing jacket isn't practical.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. 7960

7960 New Member

5. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I wanted to get something that was 2-toned or something. I have a white HJC helmet that is brand new from last year, so I am just going to use that. I need to find something to match decently

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

color coordination is secondary. fit and use is what you need to look for first.
    you want something that breathes, has padding and gives you mobility. Don't get caught up in the whole "fashion statement" crap until you find styles that work, it leads to alot of gear that while makes you look like a runway model, is uncomfortable as hell and that leads to not wearing it.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

From another thread...

they all have removable liners for colder weather, water resistant for rain and venting to flow air.
    If you have motorcycle dealerships close, head down and try different jackets on first. Don't go buying online until you get an idea of what fits, what doesn't, what's comfortable etc.

8. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

how much should I expect to spend on a decent jacket? I am kinda low on cash after buying a bike, so I need to try and stay cheap. But also, I don't want to just get something crappy because it was the cheapest. Are there some good ones under $200?

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I have a Tour Master Intake Air 2 jacket...
    it's got a winter liner + rain liner + normal jacket. feels comfortable. it can be found online for $140ish...

also has CE armor on the shoulder and elbows + padding on the back...

this is the color combo I have...
    [​IMG]

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

under 200 is doable easily, the tourmaster Raider posted is a sweet setup because it gives you many different ways to wear it.

A tourmaster transition can be found for 134
    http://www.extrememoto.com/p/86-351/TRANSITION-JKT-BLACK-zmam=1000441-zmas=4-zmac=192-zmap=86-351P

transition 2, 155
    http://www.motodepot.com/product_list.php?cid=1380

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  11. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Now I just need to go today and try some on at a dealer to see what fits me. Then I can order one of them online to save some money

12. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

ebay is good too. Just dont get the fake ones.

13. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, try different brands as well... i noticed that Swift/Icon/Tour Master all fit differently...

14. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I got a Joe Rocket Ballistic Series jacket, I really love it. Keeps me warm in cool weather with the liner, and the venting is pretty good for hot weather. I even went down at low speed around a corner while wearing it, and all I got was a bruise on my elbo, and you can't even tell where the jacket hit the ground.