Joined RROD crew. question about the extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by blackrat, Apr 12, 2010.

1. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

I know they extended the warranty 3 years but is that from manufactured date or from the end of the original warranty?

I bought mine from a college that was clearing them out so it was a launch system but bought in mid 2007. According to Microsofts site my standard warranty ended 8/07, a 1 year warranty I believe. So am I eligible with the warranty ending in August this year or did it end in 09?

After registering my system the site said I might be covered but the $99 repair charge came up and I canceled right before the final step. Sent an email but don't expect a response for awhile. Figured there are plenty of firsthand experiences on here. :hsugh:

2. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Ended in August 09 :hs:

But now you get to replace it with a PS3 :bigthumb:

3. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

shit.

already have a ps3 which I play 90% of the time anyway. oh well.

4. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

call them and ask. mine just red ringed last week. the warranty was up in aug 08, i bought it in aug 07. so it was extended until aug '10. sending mine in tomorrow. doesn't hurt to call and ask if you care that much :dunno:

and whenever i called i got straight through to a support person. just hit 00 when the stupid voice shit kicks in.

5. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

Sent an email, but you're right it's always better to speak to someone. I'll get the number.

6. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

3 years from the manufacturing date. just go on xbox.com andfile a request for repair.

7. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

It should be 3 years from date of purchase - go to http://support.xbox.com - it will say out of warranty until you submit a claim for RRoD or E74 - only then will it show the 3 year warranty.

8. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

3 years from manufacturing date. the rest of what you said is correct tho

9. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

You might just get away with a month out of warranty, but not 7.

10. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

spoke with someone on the phone. they insist it was purchased in august 06 so unless my friend finds the receipt I'm SOL. Date of manufacture on my system is 4/24/06 so it is from purchase, not from built date. Not quite sure how they came up with the purchase date, I know it was sitting on the shelf for quite awhile before it was sold. Maybe they automatically consider it sold after a certain amount of time, I didn't register it.

11. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

if you have to pay to fix it im sure you can find an otter close to you that can fix it for cheap... I fixed mine for under 10 bucks. Been fine for 4 months.

12. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

Biggest crew ever.

13. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

just do it online

takes 5 minutes

even if it tells you your shit is expired it will bypass that because RROD

14. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

does suck but at least it's free

my ps3 buddies have all had to shell out $150~ on repairs

i think my cousin is the only one who hasn't had to yet. He has the slim model. :cool:

15. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

jesus christ i keep telling you its the manufacturing date. ive had to send it few RROD xboxs. bought a RROD on CL and the guy didnt know it was still under the 3 year warranty. called MS and never told them of a purchase date (this was before xbox.com handled all of the repair request instead of calling). your manufacturing date would still put it out of the 3 year warranty. either shell out the 100 bucks to have MS fix it, find out how to do it yourself for 7 dollars in hardware (thats if you already have the artic silver 5 thermal paste which is 10 bucks), or pay someone 30 bucks on craigslist to do it.

16. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

Dude, it's from the sale date, not manufacture date. At least that's what the guy from the Microsoft support whatever crew told me today. We went over it several times since my purchase date was so far off from the built date and he confrimed my build date with the number on the back. :dunno:

the purchase date was 4 months later than the build date, at least according to their records, and that is what he determined my warranty to be over by.

Thanks for the heads up on fixing it myself, I'll start checking into it.

17. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

ok keep thinking its the sale date.

18. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

It's the goddamned purchase date first you morons. The first time you boot up the system and log onto live it flags it in a database. In lieu of ever connecting it to the net you'll need a receipt if the manufacturing date is not within 3 years.

It is only the manufacturing date if you've never been connected to the internet with the machine within a particular window of the manufacturing date AND you don't have a receipt.

You're all correct, sort of, now stop being ignorant twats.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  19. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

you're probably outside the warranty period. if so, just get an arcade replacement unit. sometimes u can find them on sale for $180. that's what i plan to do when my elite eventually dies on me

20. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

Amazon has arcade units on sale for $150 right now, but I'd rather not pad microsoft's numbers by buying another unit.

21. Vom

Vom OT Supporter

I'm doing the xclamp removal method and seeing if that works. My warrany is out anyways

22. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

:rofl:

Was using my roommate's Elite instead of buying a replacement, although 99% of it's use was netflix. threw my hard drive in and bought Limbo, froze up a couple of times. started it a third time and now it fucking RROD'd. His is covered under warranty at least. Ordering the netflix disc for my ps3 now. :bowdown: