GUN Joined gun crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bausk, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Been a long time coming, but I joined Gun Crew today when I went on my lunch to my FFL Dealer. Springfield XD9 Sub-compact. I have to take it in to my local PD within 10 days for "Safety Inspection" (registration).

Can I go shooting with it before then? The guy who does the registration is off today and the next available day is Sunday.

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Do you have to renew your registration every year or is it just a 1 time thing? We have to register in Chicago, and pay $20 per gun, per year, and they can refuse registration whenever they feel like. I just said fuck it, I'm not gonna pay a yearly tax on something I own, so I just keep my guns outside of Chicago where they don't need registration. Can't do that on my home defense gun though so I gotta pay up.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I didn't have to pay anything, I think they just want to have the information on file. You also don't have to go through the process if you already have your CPL, but I don't. I'm going through the class next month for my birthday.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

There is nothing in the law explicitly stating it must be registered before shooting it.

I would just keep the sales receipt with it until it has been "inspected". That way if by whatever set of circumstances a cop ends up with it and runs the SN and it comes up as un-registered, you can prove ownership and that it was recently purchased.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I thought I read somewhere that MI was getting rid of the "safety inspection" soon... When I get off work, I'll see if I can find anything on it.

Welcome to gun crew! :wavey:

6. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Congrats.

I always like reading these threads b/c I get to hear about all the different rules and regs for different states.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I actually heard something about it becoming more of a pain in the ass if you didn't already have a cpl. The cop who does the inspections mentioned it. It wouldn't apply to me after next month though.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

All having a CPL means is that you do not have to get a purchase permit prior to making a purchase.

Presenting the gun for "safety inspection" IS going away. Registration IS NOT going away, and is going to much more burdensome to the purchaser... regardless of whether you have your CPL or not.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Welcome!

Oh, and cops are not the best sources to get gun or gun law info from.

10. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Well that's gay...

What are they going to change to make it more difficult?

11. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

one time thing in michigan.

12. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

oh when are we going shooting.

13. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Is this inspection bascially a gun fingerprinting? ie: shooting a bullet out of it to get it's rifling prints.

14. As far as I've heard, they just write down the serial number and other information.

15. sprite

sprite Active Member

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/publicact/pdf/2008-PA-0194.pdf
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/publicact/pdf/2008-PA-0195.pdf
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/publicact/pdf/2008-PA-0196.pdf

Basically it puts all the burden of documentation and registration on the purchaser. Sets hard time tables for everythig and has provisions for all kinds of petty civil infraction fines (which will be reported to your County Concealed Pistol Licensing Board, by the way). All purchase information is entered in LEIN.

Better make sure all the paperwork is in order and is EXACTLY correct, or else. Want to make sure the data entry clerks transcribed it correctly? You can request a copy from the state... but you have to pay for it of course.

Oh, and you MUST carry the purchase record with the firearm for 30 days.

16. sprite

sprite Active Member

"Safety Inspection" is usually whoever is working the desk that day writing down the model number, magazine capacity, barrel length, and SN. Usually they don't even want to touch the gun, they just ask you to hold it up to the window.

That process goes away on 01/07/09, and basically it becomes the purchasers responsibility to provide all that info to "the state".

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

tonight? tomorrow? this weekend?

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

wow thats no where near as bad as CA

19. sprite

sprite Active Member

Oh I know, a lot of states have it a lot worse. It was just that everyone was all excited when a bill was proposed to "repeal Safety Inspections", but nobody was expecting them to be replaced with an entirely new clusterfuck.

MI guns laws are pretty good in some regards and pretty shitty in others.

20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Picture time.

I went to the range today with Pimpofthenation. My first time at the range, my first time ever firing a pistol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I learned first shot how not to hold a pistol (pic 2, rofl). I ended up firing 60 rounds, the target shown was my 3rd target of the day (rounds 41-60).

Was fun. :cool:

21. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Some know it very well, some dont, just like traffic laws. Im starting my job at the local PD soon, and part of my job will be registering guns that people bring in after a private sale. It involves taking the gun back, checking it to make sure it operates properly and issuing a new blue card.

22. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I did the same thing my first time shooting a pistol. I asked the guy teaching me "Is it supposed to hurt when I shoot it?" after it bit my thumb like that.

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

Are you a lefty? If not, Cross thumbs on an Auto is :nono:

Here's how you should grip your gun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll gain much better recoil control, and won't have to worry about slide biting. I get a really high grip on my gun and don't slide bite.

Congrats and welcome!

24. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

If lefty then how should you hold something made for a righty?