SRS Job, school, and child support

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SovietRussia, Apr 11, 2006.

1. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

Ok. so i got a call from my boss today, saying that i am getting transfered to another 'group' and the hours will be like 4 or 5pm - midnight or so. I dont really wanna do this, BUT i have to pay child support (along with other expenses like rent, but child support is my biggest concern, because i want/need to support my child). I am graduating with an associate degree in accounting in like 6 weeks. I have very good grades, and live in a city of about 20,000. with a couple other cities a little bit larger within 1 hour. I think i can probably get a job in the accounting field after graduation fairly easily. now school is getting kinda hectic with it being close to the end. I will be sending out resumes soon, and have school till 2pm on monday wed, and thurs. some of the interviews will be in madison :x: so i would need more time (its probably 4 hours round trip). what do you think i should do? I have to leave for school at 7am on the days i have school so i would be getting little sleep. I need some advice. i am going to be talking to my parents about the situation as well, but i figure some advice from strangers wouldnt hurt either. as long as its something more than...yes quit, or no dont quit. some reasoning behind your answers would be wonderful.

2. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

also, i have enough money saved away to last probably 4 months or so if i stopped working right now. and that would let me pay all my expenses for 4 months (including child support)

3. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

How do you pay child support over there? Does it come directly out of your pay? Or do you pay it on your own accord?

Over here if you are a scummy bastard and get welfare they can only take $5 per week from your benefits and the rest builds up as a 'debt'. If you pay on your own steam and don't pay the right amount it can also accume 'debt'. If it gets too much they can contact your employer and get it taken out. If you don't have one.... well you get the drift.

If you can afford to keep up your end of the CS payments then do it, if that means working or quiting it is up to you

6 more weeks of school is a month an a half, so from what you have said you have enough to get you through the end of school and the period where you look for work

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think you should go along with the crappy hours 4 to 5 as your boss described, i would then 1000% focus myself on the school period and finishing your exams. Once that is over you are free to do as you please, the pressure will be mainly off, and you can focus your energy into finding a very well paying job, that can sufficiently supply you as well as your child with financial foundation to live a happy life. Don't let your ex know you are getting extra money once you do, because she'll probably try to claim more.

Quitting your current job depends on how much it pays, if you can get more elsewhere with your newly aquired educational skills, i would leave asap.