SRS Job Potential: What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JediMasterMatt, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JediMasterMatt

JediMasterMatt New Member

Hey Everybody,

I wanted to share a situation I have going on right now and see what everyone's thoughts are. It's a bit long, so I'll have cliffs at the end.

Here we go...

Okay, 2 months ago I was calling around to companies in the market research industry looking for a job ( I got laid off in March) and asked to speak directly to Presidents, CEO's, etc. One in particular was impressed that I took this route and told me to call back in a few months because he didnt have any openings.

Well, I called back this morning to check up, and he said they were hiring and to forward my resume and info on to the VP (he gave me the guy's email and everything.) I am preparing everything right now as well as sending a hard copy to both the VP and CEO (as well as a thank you letter to the CEO for his help).

What are the prospects for this turning into a job opportunity? Is he impressed enough with me that I have a real shot here or is he just being nice.

Cliffs: Called CEO of company, said company is now hiring and wants me to pass info to VP with recommendation from CEO. What are my chances that I could have an opp. here?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

how would we know?

go and find out.

3. JediMasterMatt

Well I was just asking opinions of how people felt about it. I am sending my resume, cover letter, etc etc out to the Pres and VP so I am hoping this turns out to be a great opportunity.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

good luck. i hope it works out for you.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

Simply "being nice" doesn't usually factor into business decisions unless it's good for business. He's impressed with your drive. Now he wants to see if you have the skills/experience to back it up. If you do, you'll probably get an interview. So, make the sexiest resume you've ever had. Tailor it to fit the job opening they have. Send it and follow up in a few days. That's the best you can do.

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

well it shows you have dedication. not many people would take that route

7. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Any update?

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Heh, I remember when I was younger, I took my very limited resume around to several businesses where I wanted to work (computer sales). I almost passed up one because I didn't think they had anything that I wanted, but on second thought, I stopped.

I walked in and gave my resume to the guy behind the cash register. He asked me a few questions about what I wanted and thanked me for coming in and said someone will call me.

Noone called so I kept calling the sales manager. I must have called 10 times before I got her to grant me an interview and I got the job after that first interview.

Turns out the guy I gave my resume to was the president of the company and he didn't call me back as a test of my desire. When I passed the test, I got the job and it turned out to be a great job.....however, I turned out to be more interested in the technology and people than I ever was at closing sales......I wasn't the high pressure sales type.

Oh well....I still got a years worth of valuable experience and learned a lot about what I really enjoy doing and not doing.

Anyways, good luck and it's impossible for us to know what this means for you and that company. There are simply too many variables but if you really want the job, keep after it.

9. JediMasterMatt

Update: Sent my resume to them on the 13th of July, put in a follow up call last week into the VP's voicemail , and have yet to hear back from them. I will be trying them again tomorrow to see if I can get a hold of the VP personally to ask for an interview. *crosses fingers*

*NEW* UPDATE: Got a call from them asking for me to come in for an interview next Thursday, July 30th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  10. JediMasterMatt

Hey everybody. I went in to the interview, and I felt a lot of rapport between myself and the two Project Managers that were interviewing me. It was around 30 minutes long, which seemed weird to me but they asked me questions about my resume and about me personally. It felt like an ice breaker interview to see if I would fit in the company. They told me that there is a 2nd round of interviews and that they will call me to set it up late next week (if I make it, since they are still working on interviewing other candidates)

Is that standard to tell me they will call me if I made it to the 2nd round of interviews? Or would they have set it up right there if they really did like me?

I felt great throughout the whole interview, they were interested in my answers (in a good way) and I kept eye contact and built rapport....I walked out of the interview feeling like a million bucks....lets hope they sensed the same thing.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

again, this is entirely dependent on the company.

maybe the guy doing the interviews is going on vacation so he can't schedule anything right now. maybe that's what they tell the people they think are losers who they give the pity 30 min interview to before they kick them out.

nobody has any idea what's typical FOR THEM.

but good luck. I'm surprised you got an interview, so you already made it farther than I guessed you would have.

12. JediMasterMatt

True.

13. JediMasterMatt

I didn't get to the 2nd round of interviews. I got a rejection letter saying they chose a candidate with more experience in their particular field (market research). Thanks everyone for following me and providing me with insight.