SRS *Job drama, advice needed*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blackgrrl23, Mar 29, 2006.

1. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

will try to make this as short as possible.

I am a government contractor for a well-known federal agency. I have only been working there for 2 months now. Last week, a fellow co-worker got fired because "They had to replace her job with a federal employee and that person has to start monday". Turns out there was no person lined up to start her position monday, that was just a lie to get her out of there (when she has done nothing wrong!) Well they passed her duties over to me. Now I am doing 2 jobs while still getting paid my same rate while *I* am handling setting up interviews for the Federal position. Now I have been told my my in-house supervisor I have a shot at the Fed position, but should I even go for it? I understand if you go Fed from a contractor, you lose some pay, but you gain benefits and job security. Also, what happens if I work the 3-6 weeks "as a favor" and I *don't* get the position? They will have worked me on 2 jobs for "free"!! I can handle the workload, and I have asked my agency for a raise (at least until the permanent person is hired) and I have have heard there is no chance for a raise unless I get hired perm by the Feds. My co-worker (at my level) warned me the office I am in is an "If we like you we keep you If not...." type of office. She is looking for another job herself and is on the verge of leaving. :ugh2:

What should I do, y'all. I have a shot at a great career, but at this point I am feeling used :wtc:

Help me decide...I have other job contacts should this go south but I need to know for certain soon...I need to move soon and obviously need a job for this :noes:

EDIT: The pay is fairly decent, but there are no medical benefits either if that helps people to help me make a decision...:o

2. crashspeeder

crashspeeder Interesting Title

a lot of companies do that. i work in retail and they did the same shit to me for 2 months before promoting me to supervisor. not entirely the same thing but similar. you're getting the shaft, my friend. you need to decide whether or not you want to stay with that company knowing how they do business. they may pull this shit on you again later on.

3. Hootahz314

Hootahz314 I have daddy issues

It's difficult to protect your own interests in a job like this, because even if you do get the federal position it seems as though one day the supervisor could have a bad day and you'd be the target of shitty treatment. You're also kind of locked into a situation right now where you're potentially damned if you do, damned if you don't. If your gut says that things are wrong or you just have an overwhelming uncomfortable feeling (you're a woman too.. you know that feeling ;) ) I'd suggest looking into a different path. Maybe try some online employment sites or keep contacting your temp agency for different jobs. Just have to be persistent and be sure of whatever choice you make. It's usually rather hard to change your mind mid way through these kinds of decisions. Good luck!

4. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

there is no such thing as job security

5. blackgrrl23

I took a brief survey amongst friends and here are the suggestions given:

A: speak with the internal surpervisor and see if she can't entice the agency to give me a raise. If no raise is offered, put in 2 weeks notice and find another job.

B: Tough it out until 6 months on the job (looks better on resume) then leave if not a Fed/decent raise by then

C: Quit and delete them off resume (remember: I've only been there 2 months) and start job search afresh.

Any other suggestions? :dunno: Even today they have piled on more tasks, such as ordering supplies and conference rooms and more.....I can handle the work, but the pay is not enough for what I am doing. It's like getting paid as an entry-level employee but you have been working there for 5 years....

6. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

A black female with a federal job is as secure as Ft. Knox.:hsughc:

1.) Log out of OT.:run:

2.) Pray to God, Allah, JoeBoo, or whoever your higher power is for guidance.:h5:

3.) Split a page down the middle and do a cost/benifit comparison. (cons vs. pros):420:

4.) Make decision.:noes:

It is important to do this in exact order and to remember that the subject(s) of steps 1 and 2 are complete and absolute opposites.:rly:

7. blackgrrl23

:hsd:

8. blackgrrl23

I just got word....they are giving the job to an employee who is already Fed (lateral transfer)..I have been essentialy "demoted" back to my original duties :wtc: I am in no way fired, just back to my original job...is this a blessing or a curse? Makes me feel like they didn't think I could do the job or something :sad2:

It could also be since I am coming from an agency they don't want to pay the conversion fee....back to the jobhunt for me :wtc:

9. blackgrrl23

Today's Monday. I walked away from that job. I know peoplee are gonna start calling me to beg me back but I am not going back. They didn't pay me enough for all that I do and they didn't budge on the pay/medical/metrochecks (I would have accepted 1 of the 3 as adquate compensation) so now I am going for perm jobs at a company. No mor etemp agencies for me. I learned from a supervisor that even if I did stay until July (contract renewal date), I probably wouldn't have gotten a raise :mad:

Back to the drawing board :sad2:

10. teo

teo . => ? => !

Good for you for sticking up for yourself. :) Good luck finding new work!

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

At least you tried. It sounded like a very human 'unfriendly' enviroment.

Getting a job is like getting on the right bus, if you don't like where you going, get off, and get on one that heads into the right direction for your aspirations.

12. blackgrrl23

Thanks for the support all :bowdown:

I submitted about 20 resumes and already have had 5 calls/emails of interest :bigthumb:

Should I say "My previous position was not a right fit for me" as a reason for leaving my last job? Or what? :x:

13. teo

teo . => ? => !

Just say that you're looking for a position with more opportunities for advancement, and that you wanted to stop working for a temp agency.

14. blackgrrl23

FTW :bowdown:

Thank you :hug: