SRS Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RibeyeAndScotch, Nov 7, 2006.

1. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

I'm 19, just got out of the army, going to school, and I need a job.

I've been steadily looking for a job and I have a big dilemma.

I got a great hookup from a friend in the army at Samsung as a merchandise inspector. The pay is 15/hr, 30/hr overtime 9-7 M-F, and is an hour drive. They expect me to work alot of overtime, 50+ hours a week but the job is cake. The job requires a degree but my friend from the army pulled some strings since he'll be my boss.

or

I got a job at circuit city as a PC technician, 10/hr and flexible part time schedule plus its only 6 miles away.

Basically, if I take the samsung job, I can only goto school on saturdays.
    If i work at circuit city, I'll do what I want while goin to school.

Everyone I've talked to said school is a priority, but a position at Samsung is a great opportunity and it'll look great on a resume.

What do I do???? Any help/advice/opinions are all appreciated.

2. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

What do you plan on studying? How many courses would you take?

3. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

in agreement

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'd take the CC job and go to school. Your friend pulled strings to get you the job....if something happens to him, you could find yourself unemployed. Better to get the University degree and start building the foundations for the rest of your adult life then take a job that has "potential". You are young, study hard in school in a field in business, science, computers or broadcasting. Then you will have many, many more opportunities that will make this Samsung offer look like crap. Sure you're prolly looking at $15/hr and thinking of all the stuff you can buy and how great that will make you fee. However, you are much more likely to make fat cash by going to college then not.

Life seems to be about all sorts of trade offs between short term gain and long term gain. It seems that over and over again I see choices in my life where I can take short term gain but it means long term uncertainty OR take the long term gain but it means that in the short run, I'll have to keep struggling....at least for the immediate short term. I usually always take the long term gain choice and I've been successful because of it......I know others that took the short term gain and were able to be successful but the odds favor the long term gain. I know many more successful people that took the college route than didn't.

Go to school, study hard, get good grades and you'll look back and laugh at $15/hour.

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I'm with everybody else. Go to school. It will probably give you more openings/growth potential in the long run. "Merchandise inspector"? I dunno, sounds like the job title is one of those for a job that isn't as great as it sounds.

What opportunities would there be for advancement?

Another thing to consider...I don't know how you got out of the army, but do you have any benefits from your service time? If so, use them!

Edit: You say the Samsung job requires a degree, but your friend can get that bypassed.

Why not get the degree, so then you would be qualified for a comparable job, along with others, instead of limiting yourself to one job, that you only got because a friend pulled some strings?

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I would bet NONE. If he needs a degree to get the job in the first place, it's highly UNlikely he would be able to advance without a degree.

7. RibeyeAndScotch

Thx for all your inputs.

The work at samsung is really easy. I've worked there for a couple hours while my friend was showing me the ropes and I work with some cool co-workers. Basically, we get inventories, mostly high end electronics like DLP Tvs, HD-DVD players, Blu-ray players and test'em.

As for school, I'll be going to Westwood college. Its one of those fast paced schools that have 9 week semesters. So every saturday I'll go to 2 classes, thats 6 credits a semester year-around.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Go to college.

9 week semesters? How many semesers a year then?

9. RibeyeAndScotch

5 semesters a year.